Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Fabrication (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/fabrication/)
-   -   Can a 3rd gen driveline and suspension become a rolling setup? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/fabrication/688986-can-3rd-gen-driveline.html)

Jeffs82TA 09-14-2013 09:52 PM

Can a 3rd gen driveline and suspension become a rolling setup?

Ok if you were to unbolt engine cradle and rear suspension and all other related driveline stuff could the body be lifted off and the entire assembly be rolled out from under the car?

AlkyIROC 09-14-2013 11:30 PM

Re: Can a 3rd gen driveline and suspension become a rolling setup?

Body be lifted off? Yes. Driveline rolled out? No.

The car is a unibody. All the suspension components attach to the body. Front and rear are not attached to each other like a full frame vehicle. When you unbolt the front subframe and rear suspension, they become separate components.

Jeffs82TA 09-14-2013 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by AlkyIROC (Post 5637216)
Body be lifted off? Yes. Driveline rolled out? No.

The car is a unibody. All the suspension components attach to the body. Front and rear are not attached to each other like a full frame vehicle. When you unbolt the front subframe and rear suspension, they become separate components.

Thanks, my idea was to lift the body off and put another body on after everything securing the body has been unbolted.

AlkyIROC 09-15-2013 11:06 AM

Not possible. You need to start with the body as a foundation then attach everything to it.

Jeffs82TA 09-19-2013 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by AlkyIROC (Post 5637364)
Not possible. You need to start with the body as a foundation then attach everything to it.

This isn't true, lifted body off and chassis rolled right out.

406TPI 09-19-2013 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Jeffs82TA (Post 5639303)
This isn't true, lifted body off and chassis rolled right out.

No way, no how..you must have hit your head on something.

Jeffs82TA 09-19-2013 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by 406TPI (Post 5639308)
No way, no how..you must have hit your head on something.

whatever! but it worked.

compressed front coil springs
took rear trailing arm bolts out
rear track arm bolts
sway bar bolts
brake lines

and other stuff, then lifted body off entire assembly. so yes it is possible

Richboll 09-19-2013 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jeffs82TA (Post 5639311)
whatever! but it worked.

I'd like to see that. Do you have any pictures? :rolleyes:

Orr89RocZ 09-19-2013 09:54 AM

Lol at this thread. Your definition of rolling chassis is different than the rest of the world then.

naf 09-19-2013 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jeffs82TA (Post 5639311)
whatever! but it worked.

compressed front coil springs
took rear trailing arm bolts out
rear track arm bolts
sway bar bolts
brake lines

and other stuff, then lifted body off entire assembly. so yes it is possible

No. His definition of assembly is incorrect. He lifted the body off of assorted pieces/parts.

ghettocruiser 09-19-2013 02:48 PM

Just because you unbolted everything and lift the body off, and the parts MOSTLY stayed in place does not make that a rolling chassis. You couldnt even remotely begin to roll that around to a different spot. You removed the CHASSIS when you lifted the body off.

I can see your plan working out ok...I guess. But stripping good body, and then installing good parts to it is the way to do it. Would probably ended up being less work for ya. Unless you are

In for pictures though...because Im just going through all of that stuff in my head and it sounds like a royal PITA to do this. Not to mention dangerous. Leaving the coil springs compressed without the weight of the car on them. Just asking for a compressor to let go. Glad to hear they didnt..hopefully you arent leaving it like that for very long.

J.

Jeffs82TA 09-19-2013 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser (Post 5639488)
Just because you unbolted everything and lift the body off, and the parts MOSTLY stayed in place does not make that a rolling chassis. You couldnt even remotely begin to roll that around to a different spot. You removed the CHASSIS when you lifted the body off.

I can see your plan working out ok...I guess. But stripping good body, and then installing good parts to it is the way to do it. Would probably ended up being less work for ya. Unless you are

In for pictures though...because Im just going through all of that stuff in my head and it sounds like a royal PITA to do this. Not to mention dangerous. Leaving the coil springs compressed without the weight of the car on them. Just asking for a compressor to let go. Glad to hear they didnt..hopefully you arent leaving it like that for very long.

J.

was a six banger to z28 conversion.

Base91 09-19-2013 04:06 PM

You could build a chassis if you got all the attachment points in the right places in relation to each other. Then swap bodies to your heart's content.

lmidden 09-20-2013 02:33 PM

put a dolley under the engine cradle and suspension cap the rear of the tranny and just roll the rear by it self

Formula 305 09-26-2013 09:08 AM

Isn't the engine cradle and front subframe in these cars part of the body? Like welded to the body? The engine cradle doesn't come out without cutting steel.

jlarsson 09-26-2013 09:30 AM

Just follow the assembly line photos here and you see what you will end up with ... http://www.last1992camaro.com/pictures/page2.html

Some of the 3rd Gen dealer brochures have pictures of the "rolling setup" as well ... but totally different from none subframe car of course.

lmidden 09-26-2013 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Formula 305 (Post 5642684)
Isn't the engine cradle and front subframe in these cars part of the body? Like welded to the body? The engine cradle doesn't come out without cutting steel.

the engine cradle is held in by 6 or 8 bolts and you unbolt the shocks. the tranny crossmember also have to be unbolted from the car the nyou lift the body simple as that

Formula 305 09-26-2013 10:49 AM

Ah, I see. All the time I spend under my car the last few weeks I'm surprised I didn't notice the bolts in the engine cradle.