Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Fabrication (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/fabrication/)
-   -   Custom Torque Arm Mount anyone?? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/fabrication/730513-custom-torque-arm-mount.html)

Drone358 03-13-2016 02:39 PM

Custom Torque Arm Mount anyone??

Anyone know anywhere we can find a different torque arm mount? Or just buying the stock one just seems like a bad design.

armybyrd 03-13-2016 03:05 PM

Re: Custom Torque Arm Mount anyone??

Originally Posted by Drone358 (Post 6016683)
Anyone know anywhere we can find a different torque arm mount? Or just buying the stock one just seems like a bad design.

I just ordered a UMI torque arm relocation setup which mounts it to the tranny crossmember. Kinda pricy but I'd rather not bother with more cracked tailshafts.

Drone358 03-14-2016 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by armybyrd (Post 6016701)
I just ordered a UMI torque arm relocation setup which mounts it to the tranny crossmember. Kinda pricy but I'd rather not bother with more cracked tailshafts.

Ohh Ok.. I'll have to check them out! Yeah i'll be around the 500hp range so I don't need any of that!
Thank man

AlkyIROC 03-14-2016 10:24 PM

Buy an aftermarket, tubular, adjustable torque arm. Any brand should have a much better mount attached directly to an aftermarket trans crossmember instead of on the tailshaft housing and may also have a driveshaft loop built into it.

ceakay 05-04-2016 06:18 AM

I'll be looking into making one too, very shortly. I've already done most of my conversion from 700r4 to getrag 262. All that's left now is a torque arm mount and the drive shaft.

Twin_Turbo 05-04-2016 06:37 AM

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-z...0/DSC01206.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-S...0/DSC01181.JPG

ceakay 05-04-2016 09:34 AM

Nice idea, doubles as a subframe connector, which I also still want to fabricate
:goodjob:

Twin_Turbo 05-04-2016 10:41 AM

I made it so the trans can drop out by just removing the driveshaft and not the tq arm. It's a pretty short arm but I have the geometry dialed in just right. The sliding stub forsn't move hardly at all through suspension travel

ceakay 05-04-2016 01:39 PM

With dialing in the length, did you physically experiment with different lengths to find the best balance betweeen traction without wheel hop under braking?

Twin_Turbo 05-04-2016 02:05 PM

It's not the length, it's the height of the pivot. I keps moving it whilst loading and unloading the rear suspension and maintaining proper pinion angle to find the sweet spot. Didn't take that long at all to find the sweet spot

Mirror Image 05-23-2016 07:23 PM

Im looking at somthing like that its the BMR track pack

customblackbird 09-16-2016 09:31 PM

I have the same thing on mine. It's called a jegster tunnel mount shorty tq arm lol. So easy and out of the way. I tied mine into the tunnel support bars of the 8pt roll bar. Stiff as hell. I wouldn't go with any other tq arm for the very reason of leaving the tq arm on and being able to remove the trans. Had mine out like 10 times and never had to remove the tq arm.

Tibo 09-18-2016 10:38 AM

I've had a crossmember mounted torque arm and have never had to remove the torque arm to remove the transmission. The TA is only held to the crossmember with one bolt and takes 30 seconds to disconnect. Am I missing something?

tvc 15 09-19-2016 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo (Post 6035429)
It's not the length, it's the height of the pivot. I keps moving it whilst loading and unloading the rear suspension and maintaining proper pinion angle to find the sweet spot. Didn't take that long at all to find the sweet spot

So you are saying you have raised and lowered the pivot point of the torque arm until you no longer have wheel hop under hard braking?

Twin_Turbo 09-27-2016 01:02 AM

Wheek hop under braking? Wheel hop under acceleration is the issue. No, I set the axle on a jacking stand and raised and lowered it through the suspension travel. I simply clamped the upper mount in place and checked the travel on the slider and the change in axle angle near the suspension travel when @ ride height. This way I found the best spot. It really is up poretty high, almost against the floor.

customblackbird 09-27-2016 09:51 AM

The jegster tunnel mount shorty tq arm is only like 2" below the top surface of the tyranny tunnel. So yes having the pivot point up that high is probably correct.