Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Fabrication (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/fabrication/)
-   -   HELP- bracket concept/ Proof (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/fabrication/749499-help-bracket-concept-proof.html)

Jspink38 12-03-2017 06:21 PM

HELP- bracket concept/ Proof

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, I have a small engineering design concept for an Auto cad class I am taking this semester. It is for a parking brake lever bracket to keep it from rattling around. (mine makes horrible noise at highway speeds). I will attach the WOrd doc with the outline for you guys to look at. Any feed back on any part of it is VERY appreciated. Also, if anyone wants to make this thing go for it. Mine will not be done for a few weeks but if any of you are bored, have at it.

Also, Is the firebird console set up around the lever the same? this is measured for a 92 camaro so I have no clue about the Bird's compatibility. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advanced.

dennisbernal91z 12-06-2017 03:39 PM

Re: HELP- bracket concept/ Proof

Hey Jspink38, I am a mechanical engineer so maybe I can help you out.

In your objective statement you might want to state why the original equipment "brackets" are not doing their job of holding things in place.

The N in noise in capitalized for some reason.

You also mention the rivets and fasteners. Are you sure there are both holding this in? I don't think there are. Most things in these third gens are help together with screws.

Is your part supposed to show how it attaches to the car? This seems like a preliminary concept.

Finally, have you guys gone thru best dimensioning practices?
Ordinate dimensioning is not usually the best especially when you have a critical V that should hold something. Your tolerance stack up of the V feature will not be ideal. Then again, this might not matter at all since the whole thing is not very precise.

Anyways, that's all I saw. Good luck with the assignment. Hope any of my advice helps you out!

Drew 12-06-2017 06:24 PM

Which noise are you trying to resolve? Aside from the release button vibrating, which I'm not sure a bracket would reduce....

The rubber slot the lever passes through as it exits the console, should dampen 90% of the vibes from the lever.

Jspink38 01-26-2018 06:36 PM

Dennis, thank you for your input! It did help a lot. It was a rough draft of what I needed to turn in. And thank you for noting the demensioning style. The teacher decided not to cover that until last second. The end of last semester was a nightmare as usual, so the part is cut and I should be able to pick it up from our manufacturing lab next week, but I've been told it is turning out nicely.

Secondly, the vibration that I'm trying to get rid off is movement of the lever left to right. The fasteners Dennis mentioned allow it to have a good amount of lash left and right even with the rubber seal. I'm sure the age of the seal doesn't help it absore like it used to. When cruising on the highway the lever it's self as well as the release button get pretty loud at certain speeds. This was a kill two birds with one stone attempt, since our project was a "real world application" if it doesn't work then oh well add it to the list of the hundreds of other noises and squeaks the car makes. :)