Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   History / Originality (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/history-originality/)
-   -   Original fiberglass hood? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/history-originality/315238-original-fiberglass-hood.html)

Scorpner 08-14-2005 01:06 PM

Original fiberglass hood?

1 Attachment(s)
I couldn't believe what I found...

How do I know if this is a stock fiberglass hood or an aftermarket? I can't find any markings on it, but it has a lot of stock fittings including a courtesy light.

Also, as you can see it needs repair, does anyone know how much to have this professionally done?

I did a search but didn't find anything.

Scorpner 08-14-2005 01:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
2nd,

Scorpner 08-14-2005 01:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And third.

NoItsNotForSale 08-14-2005 01:24 PM

It looks like its busted by the hinges you will have to support it somehow. I don't think its fixable.

Agent13 08-14-2005 04:17 PM

It's a stock hood that came on '82-'83 Z28's.

Scorpner 08-14-2005 09:52 PM

Whooo hooo!

Thanks for affirming it is a stock one. I picked it up for $30 at the local pick-n-pull.

I think they installed the hood without changing the struts to compensate for the difference in weight.

I'm going tp try to fix it by cutting out the frayed parts, then cutting an access on the top of the tunnels so I can fiberglass it on the inside about 8" from the cracks. Then fill in the crack and fibrglass the outside using single oriented fiberglass material. The hard part I think will be obtaining the original curve of the hood.

I think if I make a jig from my other hood I can clamp it together and keep the correct curve.

Any idea what kind of "glue" they use to attach the two halves together? The corner is seperated and I need to "glue this back together.

Lots of work to do -I'm open to any ideas...

aaron7 08-15-2005 10:23 AM

Neat find, but why not get a non-broken one? Didn't all 82/83 Z28's have them?

Jproz1167 08-15-2005 11:04 AM

Isn't the hood "Sheet molded something or other" instead of fiberglass .... try going to a paint supply store or I think even kragen has it and buy some corvette body panel adhesive, that will hold it together :thumbsup:

Jproz1167 08-15-2005 11:18 AM

Ok the term is SMP sheet molded plastic, 82 corvettes used this so I'de say for sure GM used the vette body panel adhesive to join the two parts together as well on that hood since it's in the same era. I've used this on my 82 corvette it's just like bondo but very strong. as for structural repair regular glass and resin can't be used you have to use a special resin or it won't ahere to the SMP. I think the resin you need is polyester resin but I'm not really sure, you might want to try a search on corvette body panel repairs for more info on how to find the correct stuff to fix your hood.

Scorpner 08-15-2005 03:28 PM

Originally posted by Jproz1167
Ok the term is SMP sheet molded plastic, 82 corvettes used this so I'de say for sure GM used the vette body panel adhesive to join the two parts together as well on that hood since it's in the same era. I've used this on my 82 corvette it's just like bondo but very strong. as for structural repair regular glass and resin can't be used you have to use a special resin or it won't ahere to the SMP. I think the resin you need is polyester resin but I'm not really sure, you might want to try a search on corvette body panel repairs for more info on how to find the correct stuff to fix your hood.
Thanks for the insight. I'll try looking into Corvette repairs.

Aaron7, I think they're hard to come by and if not local are expensive to ship. $30 is worth a shot to repair I thought. It's worth a try.

aaron7 08-15-2005 03:41 PM

Well, good luck, and let us know how it works out!

Scorpner 08-15-2005 03:59 PM

Thanks, I will!

ershealy 08-21-2005 07:36 PM

That looks like it was one of the functional air induction hoods. Do you have any pictures of the "guts" of the air induction system?

Scorpner 08-21-2005 09:59 PM

Originally posted by ershealy
That looks like it was one of the functional air induction hoods. Do you have any pictures of the "guts" of the air induction system?
No, unfortunatly that part is missing. I found out about this from someone locally and have yet to see how one even looks. Would like to try to recreate one this winter myself.

ershealy 08-23-2005 07:23 PM

Yeah, I have not seen any pictures of the system either or the air cleaner that works with the system. Just curious as to what the thing looks like.

Jproz1167 08-24-2005 02:14 AM

was only used on crossfire injection cars if it was a functional hood by the way

Drew 08-25-2005 10:24 AM

It was off a CFI car, the carbed variety was sealed (no holes) at the rear of the scoops and had four 1/4 holes for the retainers on the hood ornaments.

I just sold a factory glass hood off a carbed Z28 two weeks ago for $220. Too bad the one you have is cracked, but it could probably be fixed. Also FWIW GM recalled most of these hoods because they have problems with the two halves coming apart at high speeds. If you use it, strongly consider hood pins.

The functional ducting is really pretty lame, the CFI cars have a diamond shaped cutout in the middle of the aircleaner between the two throttle bodies, then the hood has a matching diamond shaped rubber bellows that presses against the aircleaner. The doors in the hood open at full throttle. The doors were hated because they'd dump water in the aircleaner whenever the car was taken through a high pressure car wash.

aaron7 08-25-2005 10:56 AM

True about the water. A friend of mine told me that he bought his new, and had to have the engine replaced (under warranty) due to water getting in there and blowing something!

I guess it was a common recall.

Scorpner 08-25-2005 03:24 PM

Wow, thanks for the info. There's a lot more to these hoods than I would have ever thought. I'll keep these things in mind and I'll look into the hood pins. I take it the doors were spring loaded?
Thanks again,
Terry

aaron7 08-25-2005 04:48 PM

Don't think spring loaded... weren't they vaccuum actuated? Or were they off the linkage?

ME Leigh 08-26-2005 12:34 AM

It's SMC, or sheet molded composite. They came on 82-83 Z28's. But only the CFI got the functional flaps.

ME Leigh 08-26-2005 12:36 AM

The flaps use a vacuum signal from the throttle bodies to activate an electrical selenoid, so the flaps would only open at WOT.

Jproz1167 08-26-2005 11:10 PM

On CFI cars the ECM is what controlled the operation of the flapper door solenoid ... the carb'ed cars had a vacuum switch that controlled the solenoid .....

ME Leigh 08-26-2005 11:38 PM

I believe my CFI hood was vacuum controlled. But i took that crap off years ago, so my memory could be shady.