Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   History / Originality (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/history-originality/)
-   -   Video of a BRAND NEW 1985 IROC-Z found in a trailer!! (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/history-originality/505557-video-brand-new-1985-a.html)

tom marvolo 01-05-2009 06:59 AM

Re: Video of BRAND NEW 1985 IROC-Z found in a trailer!!

Well you would not have to steal it with the trailer just steal the car and listen closely...the say "we are just lucky we found it in neutral" My guess is that some one left it to them...like in there will....

ghettocruiser 01-05-2009 07:12 AM

Im not feeling the "stolen" scenario.

1) Its only got 4.3 miles. If someone drove it far enough away to even load it onto a truck without being noticed it would probably have atleast 10 miles on it. 4.3 miles suggests it was stuck in that trailer very soon after rolling off the line. Probably got those miles, as someone else said, from rolling around the plant lot or being tested.

2) The guy has the title...

3) The VIN is most likely not stolen because someone already checked it and it shows no history. A VIN off of a junker would show a lifetime of history..or atleast something.

I guess, since anything possible, it could be stolen. That would most likely mean the mopar in the front of the trailer is stolen too. If that car retains the same or similar story as the Iroc as far as being stored, then Ide feel even better about the Camaro.

This is why I want the current owner to come on here...as soon as he has all his ducks in a row with paperwork and checking the validity of the car etc etc. Until he does, its all speculation. I mean..we ARE the biggest best thirdgen site out there :) We deserve first dibs with forum discussion. haha

J.

DAYTONA 500 TA 01-05-2009 07:41 AM

I'm not saying that car is stolen, cars that are usually stored in truck trailers and not put together usually are, who knows with this car. Unless the owner posts a copy of the title who knows what this car is. All I can tell you is it's a 4.3 mile 1985 Iroc-Z that someone put away for whatever reason. Whoever put it away didn't do a good job of it either. It should have been stored in a heated and temp controlled area. The fact that it has 4.3 miles on really doesn't matter, the things terribly dusty and I'm sure rodents found theie way into it. Why do you think the guy who has it isn't cleaning it? When the new owner gets it he we'll have to sink numerous dollars into to it just to get it into running condition. That car is more of a headache then a 30,000 mile car that's been driven and maintained. If you've guys have forgotten It's a Iroc (GM) car. GM cars that are driven and maintained leak and have a ton of flaws, what do you think this one is any different? Give it some time and it will show it's GM colors. Right of that engine has to be taken apart and resealed just so there wont be any damage to engine. What do you think some fresh gas and oil will do the trick? It will Idle and run fine after sitting 20 yrs? Give me a break. Wake up guys. The only thing thats special about this car is that it has 4.3 miles on it. Other then that it's alot of work.

tom marvolo 01-05-2009 10:15 AM

wow, sounds like someone is jeaulus....lol jk. but still it is an 85 with no body damage and no chipped paint or anything...its BRAN FREEKIN NEW!!!! any one of our biggest dreams doesn't even come close.....like I said "DREAM crime".

Reid Fleming 01-05-2009 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 500 TA (Post 3997142)
It should have been stored in a heated and temp controlled area.....That car is more of a headache then a 30,000 mile car that's been driven and maintained. If you've guys have forgotten It's a Iroc (GM) car. GM cars that are driven and maintained leak and have a ton of flaws, what do you think this one is any different? Give it some time and it will show it's GM colors. Right of that engine has to be taken apart and resealed just so there wont be any damage to engine. What do you think some fresh gas and oil will do the trick? It will Idle and run fine after sitting 20 yrs? Give me a break. Wake up guys. The only thing thats special about this car is that it has 4.3 miles on it. Other then that it's alot of work.

Agreed. My '89 has 37,000 miles. And I've still had to replace the hood and trunk struts. The radio stopped working. And worst of all, the head gasket blew. And it's been in a heated, insulated garage it's entire life. Only driven during the summer months. Some years it wouldn't get driven at all. Most of them, it has.

One of my friends got his '71 LS5 Vette on the road about 5 years ago. It's a 25,000 mile car. It had been in his garage for 12 years. He had a heck of a time getting it to start and then getting it to run smoothly. I stopped by on a Saturday morning and he asked me what I had for breakfast. I answered...He replied "you know what I had? Shoe polish!" (and then he held up a gas syphon hose)

1989IROC-Z5.7L 01-05-2009 06:57 PM

Re: Video of a BRAND NEW 1985 IROC-Z found in a trailer!!

Does he have a "title" or an "MSO" ? ? ?

It would be worth more with a MSO!

jermdm 01-07-2009 02:30 PM

This was a great find. Wish I found it. Cool that it hasnt even been prepped from the dealer. The front ground effect not put on and what about the box in the hatch. Could that be a set of new rear window louvers. Love all the factory markings and stickers. Cant get anymore original and new than this car. If it was mine, I would leave it the way it is right now, but clean the exterior.

scottmoyer 01-07-2009 03:09 PM

The box in the back is the front GFX. Factory louvers were not available in 85.

okfoz 01-07-2009 03:27 PM

Honestly the first thing that went thru my head was the car was possibly stolen in 1985 and then stored until it fell off the books... Apply for a lost title and have yourself a new car that is 20 years old.

John

jrhaus76 01-08-2009 02:02 PM

awesome!

Ace 01-10-2009 10:50 PM

Id like to get ahold of that thing and toss and LSX in there :)

Brennan 01-10-2009 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Ace (Post 4003980)
Id like to get ahold of that thing and toss and LSX in there :)

why would you do that?:crazy:

Guy In A 90 RS 01-11-2009 12:28 AM

Daaaaaaammnnnnnnnn. . . I buy it. . . but I bet its going for the 5 digit range. If I were him, I'd keep it though. . .

Wonder how someone got ahold of it before it went through the dealer. Maybe the buyer was a GM employee???

TTA 1387 01-11-2009 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Guy In A 90 RS (Post 4004028)
Wonder how someone got ahold of it before it went through the dealer. Maybe the buyer was a GM employee???

We used to get a few customers that would request nobody touch the car. Just back it off the trailer and leave it, didn't even PDI it. It did/does still happen.

I was working at a Olds dealership back then and those requests were usually for HURST or 442 cars.

MitchellDeMoor 01-11-2009 11:23 AM

Oh my god that story about the 21 trailers was amazing. I have been collecting speed parts and third gens for a while now and I don't even have what is one of those trailers. What an awesome story.

Guy In A 90 RS 01-11-2009 02:18 PM

Heh, well the way some people can be, I'm not suprised. That makes sense.

fullsize fun 01-13-2009 09:36 AM

wouldn't take much to ge tit running, there wouldn't be any sluge in the oil pan cause the car hasn't ran enough to put combustion by products into the oil to cause sluge, might have some moisture in it , and that is the biggest reason for the oil change, but just change the fluids, disconnect the fuel lines and blow em out, drop the tank and flush it out, then freash oil and gas and fire her *** up. front and rear main might leak. due to drying up of rubber.,but might be able to get by with some high mileage motor oil to help swell em up abit .for sure needs valve seals. but its not that big of a deal to get a car running, ohh and the carb would need to be taken apart and cleaned, old gas didn't hold up as well and the newer stuff does. but thats about it.

okfoz 01-13-2009 04:17 PM

ON a related note, I have actually seen Antifreeze solidify in the Engine. My dad bought a non-running parts car, and when we started tearing into it we found the reason that it did not run was the Water pump had gone bad, and the antifreeze was like a solid because it sat for so long... really bizarre honestly... I might be able to get some pix if y'all are interested.

Its been a while since I looked at it so I am not sure what I could take a pic of...

John

aaron7 01-13-2009 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by okfoz (Post 4000274)
Honestly the first thing that went thru my head was the car was possibly stolen in 1985 and then stored until it fell off the books... Apply for a lost title and have yourself a new car that is 20 years old.

John

Seconded. Just because he has a title doesn't mean it wasn't stolen.

Mark_ZZ3 01-13-2009 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by TTA 1387 (Post 4004169)
We used to get a few customers that would request nobody touch the car. Just back it off the trailer and leave it, didn't even PDI it. It did/does still happen.

I was working at a Olds dealership back then and those requests were usually for HURST or 442 cars.

When I ordered my 89 formula, that is who I ordered it. Right off the truck. I have pictures of it with the plastic. Once I gave it the once over, I let them go through PDI. The GTA next to mine was damaged on delivery. Ordering it with PDI was not impossible, but you had to really really ask for it. Liability more than anything else.

Mark.

88_thirdgen 01-14-2009 11:47 PM

in his channel comments he says he will be selling on ebay sometime this month..... http://www.youtube.com/user/qbansmokr

DarrensCamaro 01-15-2009 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by 88_thirdgen (Post 4009017)
in his channel comments he says he will be selling on ebay sometime this month..... http://www.youtube.com/user/qbansmokr

We will have to keep a eye on ebay then and see what this thing goes for...

88_thirdgen 01-15-2009 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by DarrensCamaro (Post 4009172)
We will have to keep a eye on ebay then and see what this thing goes for...

:iagree: definitely

Greg 01-15-2009 08:15 PM

I thought this was really cool and then...the hood opens. WTH? Wasn't 85 the first year for the TPI? Why would someone buy or order this car in 85 with intentions to store it and not get the brand new TPI? That's what's odd!

dvmeter 01-16-2009 12:29 AM

Fascinating story, and a third-gen fan's dream come true. I'm also one of those guys that's of the opinion that it is legitimate; and the two most compelling arguments for how the car was acquired seem to be that either the car was stolen and put in hiding then for some reason never touched again, or someone working at the dealership ordered it and kept it preserved. My question is this, just speculating here...but if the car was purchased by a dealership employee who cared so much about the car that they did not want it touched or dealer prepped, and they shuffled it home on a trailer (assumption for the low mileage), still wrapped in plastic; then why would they hide it away in a trailer and never touch it again? Allowing it to simply collect dust? It would seem to me that if someone legally purchased the car, and took it home not fully prepared, that they would have enough interest in the car to finish it and drive it, not lock it away. But then again, maybe that's exactly what the original owner wanted to do.

Based on what has been said, I currently believe that it was probably stolen. Either way, its a shame to me that the car has sat for ~24 years and was never enjoyed/driven like it was meant to be. Then again, it now serves as an amazing piece of history. I think if I had found it that I'd clean the outside, find some IROC rims, push it into a showroom and leave it. Never try and get it running again, just let it sit like a time capsule. Its already sat this long, why corrupt it and begin putting miles on it or remove the plastic?

Just my opinion. I loved reading about this, and would love to have known the real story.

dvmeter 01-16-2009 12:38 AM

Further more...he said they sold the original rims because they were "going to put some aftermarket rims on the car." That would suggest that they did intend to drive the car not park it and let it appreciate in value then one day sell it for a lot of money. So the car couldn't have been an investiment. To me this further supports the car being stolen, selling a new set of 1985 IROC rims would have been much easier way to make some money instead of trying to sell the whole car back in 1985. And probably were sold to someone with a lower model camaro who couldn't afford an IROC, or to buy the IROC rims. Could you even do that back then? Buy an RS camaro but pay extra from the dealership to have IROC rims put on it?

The speculation is endless, and I definitely fall into the category of guys who would love to know that car's true history. But regardless of its past...it's out now and is a one of a kind. So I say congratulations to the purchaser.

Blazer79 01-16-2009 01:07 AM

My speculative story is that someone bought it with the intention of using it but died. The family didn't know about the car or if they did they didn't care about it. 24 years later a son discovers the stash but he isn't a camaro fan so he decides to sell. Or maybe he didn't discover it but simply sold some estate with the trailers and made someone a very happy person. :lmao: :crazy:

Now seriously if someone discovers the real story I'm really curious.

Greg 01-16-2009 08:54 AM

I definetly feel as though it was not intended to be stored or used as an investment, atleast not for nearly that long.

1. The rims...if you're getting aftermarket rims it's going to be driven
2. the battery was not only left in the car but it was still connected...ok, obviously that thing is going to go bad and start leaking everywhere.
3. they didn't order the TPI engine...if you bought this to collect in 85 you would have purchased the TPI since it was the first year for it.

The other thing that I havn't figured out is the tires...did they hold air for 22 years??? There's no way. I didn't notice them being flat when they pulled it out.

OH, and I was totally thinking of Back to the Future when they found the Delorean in the cave after it had been sitting there for 75 yrs! I could hear the music in my head :nod:

okfoz 01-16-2009 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Greg (Post 4010386)
I definetly feel as though it was not intended to be stored or used as an investment, atleast not for nearly that long.

1. The rims...if you're getting aftermarket rims it's going to be driven
2. the battery was not only left in the car but it was still connected...ok, obviously that thing is going to go bad and start leaking everywhere.
3. they didn't order the TPI engine...if you bought this to collect in 85 you would have purchased the TPI since it was the first year for it.

I too have thought about that too... Seems very odd...

The battery may or may not have leaked, It is definitely no good, but I see no reason for it to leak... I have some old batteries that I never returned for one reason or another and when not used and not in the elements of being under the hot hood they fared fine.

Originally Posted by Greg (Post 4010386)
The other thing that I havn't figured out is the tires...did they hold air for 22 years??? There's no way. I didn't notice them being flat when they pulled it out.

I have a car that has been sitting for 8 years, it still has the same times on it that I bought for it around 1990. The tires do lose some air, but they always stop losing air at 26psi, and never go any lower... I will not drive anywhere faster than 35Mph on them but they are honestly fine...

John

RED_DRAGON_85 02-19-2009 08:20 PM

all it takes for tires to appear inflated at a casual glance is around 10 psi.
dont ask me how i know this lol.

anyway, id guess the tires were pumped to 35 psi or so from the original owner and left.
since steel wheels hardly leak at all compared to aluminum wheels, this could also be a part of why they werent flat.
new undriven properly mounted tires shouldnt leak at all anyway.
its the driving them that makes them leak the most.

although there should be flat spots, they wouldnt be that big.

its possible IMO that the car was stolen for storage, but not likely given the fact that it didnt have TPI and was not a "top of the line" car. also the wheel thing is another reason i doubt it was stolen for storage.

MY OPINION (and yes, everyone has one) is that some schmuck bought it and had big plans for it in 85, put it in a trailer and left it until they got some money built up.
they died or met an unfortunate end or their money ran out. who knows. maybe they are sleeping with bubba in the state penitentiary. either way, something changed and they werent able to finish the car or whatever.

another option is that it was stolen in transport to the owner.
has anyone thought of that?
what if some guy bought it. and on the way, someone hijacked the trailer and stored it.
it would explain the rims and everything.
the guy that stole it had no control over what it had on it.
the owners insurance covered it and he got another car.

anything is possible.

Abubaca 02-19-2009 11:31 PM

My theory:

If you look in the upper left corner at 4:26, you can see (just for a second) a glimpse of an Peruvian desert mosquito (PDM). CLEARLY this car was shipped to the peruvian desert and stolen, along with a swarm of PDM's. While in storage, the battery acid mixed with antifreeze fumes and preserved the PDM larvae. Now...YEARS LATER.....

Seriously, you guys are UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!! I feel like I'm in high school.

Truth would be interesting. likely is worth discussing. ....-but throwing out random possible scenarios is weak.

...and yes those are 85 Iroc tail lights. They were on the flagship Camaro for 8 out of 11 years.....I suppose I can see how that would be a minor detail.

85maroz28 02-20-2009 12:06 AM

hey guys, page 17 of the new HOT ROD is a little article about this car, just got it yesterday. Actually saw it in there first, then came here and saw the video of it! Amazing!! Too bad its missing the original wheels though..

MYZ28NH 02-20-2009 03:42 AM

So I take it this car still has not shown up on ebay yet?

GeeJenn91RSV8 02-20-2009 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by MYZ28NH (Post 4051134)
So I take it this car still has not shown up on ebay yet?

I have been looking for it on ebay as well..........No signs of it.......

TOM-1LE 02-20-2009 08:03 PM

The car finally showed up on eBay today:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=130289154362

We'll see how this goes...

L695speed 02-20-2009 08:27 PM

LMAO that car better at least run and come with at least replacement 85 Iroc rims included I don't care if they get them from a junk yard but they better have them for ten grand.

I say a serious collector or some one crazy enough on here goes for it.

moedogger 02-20-2009 08:30 PM

Thats awesome.

TOM-1LE 02-20-2009 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by L695speed (Post 4051949)
LMAO that car better at least run and come with at least replacement 85 Iroc rims included I don't care if they get them from a junk yard but they better have them for ten grand.

I say a serious collector or some one crazy enough on here goes for it.

And $10K is just the starting bid. I'll bet the reserve is much higher. This just seems like one of those cars where the story is worth more than the car itself.

I get a feeling the seller thinks this is one of those "barn find of a lifetime" cars, and thus warrants a record price, even though it's hardly a rare, or desirable, or even complete IROC.

L695speed 02-20-2009 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by TOM-1LE (Post 4051970)
And $10K is just the starting bid. I'll bet the reserve is much higher. This just seems like one of those cars where the story is worth more than the car itself.

I get a feeling the seller thinks this is one of those "barn find of a lifetime" cars, and thus warrants a record price, even though it's hardly a rare, or desirable, or even complete IROC.

I agree with that. It probably is the find of a lifetime but it was found too early. If it was found 25 years later than today then maybe it would be worth his record price. It ain't no Bugatti that was found in the Macy Founder's garage. (that one sold for 800 grand I think)

MYZ28NH 02-20-2009 08:57 PM

I bet it won't even hit his reserve. But I guess we'll just have to see. 10 days.

Mark in Maine 02-20-2009 08:57 PM

Someone will buy this car - then there's the fascinating question of what that new owner will do with it - Hose it off, fit it with a set of correct wheels and park it in the garage, or actually get the thing running and drive it? It seems a shame to have a car like this and not drive it, but it is basically a new car right off the end of the assembly line - has a lot of value either way . . . Somebody previously said that the story is worth as much as the car, that's a good way to look at it - might be fun to have a car with an unusual past . . .

91blue_phoenix 02-20-2009 10:12 PM

I'd clean it up to new, get new rims for it, take the plastic of the wheel, and take it to shows. Put the front splitter on. That's it.

In any case, I'm sure it'll sell.

Abubaca 02-22-2009 09:26 AM

Take the financial aspect out of it, and I'd love to have it to show. As previously mentioned, clean it up as necessary, get it running, get some correct wheels and show it.

It's easy to say it's meant to be driven, but whatever it ends up sellin' for, it'll be because of the 4 miles. Drive it, and you ruin that value.

If you want an Iroc to drive, you don't want an LG4 305, and you don't wanna pay what this car will go for. It'd be cheaper to buy a beater and fix it up.

Interesting dilemma. Curious to see what comes of it.

Guy In A 90 RS 02-22-2009 09:47 AM

It'll sell. . . Someone will buy it.

I would. Clean it up, change all the fliuds out. . . Check the engine bay *extensively*. After all, he said mice were in there- get some IROC wheels and take her out. Hell, there's probably more to it than that, but I'd drive it for sure. With pride, not reckless abandon.

Just seems like a shame it would go from one storage place to another. . .

BigJon88 02-22-2009 10:41 AM

i cant see why the guys just doenst want to keep and drive it him self its like every car guys dream is to find something like this.

L695speed 02-22-2009 11:55 AM

WOW HOLY #$(# SOME ONE ACTUALLY BID ON IT FOR 10 GRAND ALREADY....:crazy::lmao::lmao:

I hope it wasn't someone here on TGO who went for it..........
I was wondering the same thing myself about why he doesn't keep it. I would have and kept it quiet too. Sell it 25 years down the road. Has anyone from NJ gotten a look at it yet?

ghettocruiser 02-22-2009 12:06 PM

Why not? I hope it was someone on this board. Then we can get good pictures of the clean up and learn of this cars future. I really dont see 10k as being this astronomical crazy ridiculous price. The car, is quite unique. Its back ground story, however weird...is neat. Its quite possibly one of the only thirdgens that look as they did rolling off the assembly line. How many can you think of are still un-prepped by the dealer? Bet that number is pretty low...

This thing would go great in a museam where people could view it and look it over. I wouldnt drive the thing. Plenty of other nice, somewhat rare thirdgens that are drivers. This car needs to be cleaned up and made to look presentable. A set of correct wheels. Leave the splitter and packaging and plastic as is, and show it.

J.

Timmy2500 02-22-2009 12:23 PM

Did a carfax on this car today and not one record:

The CARFAX© database currently contains no records for this vehicle. Please check back again soon, as our database is continually updated.

Please note: We only collect information for passenger cars and light trucks. If the VIN you entered is not in one of these categories, CARFAX may not have data for this vehicle

Sonymaster20 02-22-2009 06:17 PM

Why Doesn't anyone think its worth 10k? I think it is certainly worth way more and is a piece of history. I think it will go dramatically higher and would hope to see it stay in the condition its in, although if it got cleaned up it wouldn't be bad either. Also If anyone has payed attention to the cars selling on ebay, low mileage examples of 2-10k are getting pretty pricey now..

L695speed 02-22-2009 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sonymaster20 (Post 4054163)
Why Doesn't anyone think its worth 10k? I think it is certainly worth way more and is a piece of history. I think it will go dramatically higher and would hope to see it stay in the condition its in, although if it got cleaned up it wouldn't be bad either. Also If anyone has payed attention to the cars selling on ebay, low mileage examples of 2-10k are getting pretty pricey now..

People me included would probably like to see it running and at least a set of replacement rims. After all these years I wouldn't be surprised if the engine is frozen, the wiring is shot and chewed up (Mice) and the fact that is not complete without the factory rims is what this car is taking a hit on. Kind of pointless to spend more than that if going to spend at least two grand to make it driveable and complete. Other than that I don't have a problem with it selling for that. Its not worth more than the GM prototypes that sold at B-J though.