Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   History / Originality (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/history-originality/)
-   -   Anyone work on their car in a storage facility? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/history-originality/570631-anyone-work-their-car.html)

stroker_SS 04-30-2010 02:58 PM

Anyone work on their car in a storage facility?

Well guys my car has been sitting in my grandmothers barn(covered of course) for the past two years, which is about 3.5hrs away from where I live now. I don't have a garage and am stuck in this dumpy little 1br apartment for the next 7mo.

I would like to be driving my camaro right now but it needs some work done to it, namely interior, engine seals, and a few odds and ends, stuff I can't do in the parking lot of my aptmt complex.

I've already contacted the storage place and they are cool with me working on my car in the facility so long as i don't leave an oily mess all over. Cost is about 105/mo. for a 10'x20', it's about a 10 minute drive from my place to the facility.

Only one drawback is that they don't have power/lights run into the storage although they do have outlets on the building in which to run extension cords to.

I was really just curious if anyone else had done something like this or if it seemed like a good idea?

87WS6 04-30-2010 02:59 PM

Re: Anyone work on their car in a storage facility?

I've known people who did this. I've helped them work on their cars in those conditions. Its not too bad really. I'd do it if I lived in an apartment.

itsMikey 04-30-2010 03:01 PM

what ever gets ur car running :D

The_Wraith 04-30-2010 03:21 PM

I've seen engine swaps done in storage units. I knew a guy who bought a plug adapter that screws into the lightbulb inlet and he was able to plug power tools in ,etc.

Atilla the Fun 04-30-2010 03:27 PM

I've done it. Rather cramped on either side of the car. More need for tall jack stands and a creeper.
Better than working in the dirt or a carport. If you're gonna be working under the hood, back the car in for more daylight to the engine. If doing the trans, try to get it straight but off center, then have one side be less cramped.

t-top havoc 04-30-2010 03:35 PM

........ :yup: ........
They say it's ok, just don't leave a mess!!??!!
If it's not a $ problem, do it!!

87WS6 04-30-2010 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by The_Wraith (Post 4528639)
I've seen engine swaps done in storage units. I knew a guy who bought a plug adapter that screws into the lightbulb inlet and he was able to plug power tools in ,etc.

That's how I got power in them before.

ghettocruiser 04-30-2010 05:03 PM

Ive done more extensive work, in worse conditions than what you are describing haha. I say go for it! Especially if it gets you cruising in your thirdgen again!

J.

Drew 04-30-2010 07:52 PM

I did a fuel pump on my Firebird in what was essentially a storage unit. If I had a choice I would have done it somewhere else. The car just happened to die in the parking lot so I didn't have to roll it too far. It's possible, but not ideal. If I were in your position, I'd just WAIT until you have a better place to work on it.

92RS(real slow) 05-01-2010 01:40 AM

neil used to be building his car in a storage unit not sure if he still is now though

KNBlazer 05-01-2010 02:54 AM

I was gonna say space would be limited, but it has already been said... car is, well my firebird is 16 feet long and about 7-8 feet wide... well, now I don't remember how wide but yeah room is gonna be tight...