Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   History / Originality (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/history-originality/)
-   -   aluminum wiring (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/history-originality/591068-aluminum-wiring.html)

85TAracer 10-14-2010 09:25 PM

aluminum wiring

Hey guys,

Ive been working on restoring my car for over a year now. Recently Ive begun to wire everything together. Long story short:

Has anyone ran into aluminum wiring used in the body harness? - the harness from the dash to the tail lights...

was this something that shouldve been replaced in a recall or TSB?

the car is an 85 TA.

Anyone else run into this?

8t2 z-chev 10-14-2010 09:51 PM

Re: aluminum wiring

Other than battery cables,i have never seen aluminum
wire in an f-bod or any other car-not that it couldn't
happen:D
not sure if my '82 had aluminum battery cables,but my
'74 nova did...caused me some trouble too:lol:

Kevman 10-15-2010 05:17 AM

It's called 'Tinned' Copper, a thin coating of solder is added to protect from the elements.

85TAracer 10-15-2010 08:36 AM

Hmm, interesting. It certainly feels like one solid wire, when cut, it is silver all the way through... The insulation is also different, it appears to be "translucent" I'll try to take a pic tonight.

Theres no worries here, just something interesting I thought I'd share, and see if anyone else has seen it in their cars.

You learn something new everyday!

irock88 10-15-2010 05:27 PM

Is it possible it may have been added later.........where exactly does it end up at,I know you mentioned tail lights but where on the tail lights

85TAracer 10-15-2010 10:14 PM

It is the harness that has a connector up under the dash on the left kick panel, and goes back to the left rear corner, where it connects to the tail light harness. The newer cars run a different setup- I parted out a 89 GTA and the harness connected at a different point.

SolarGoldRaptor 10-16-2010 06:16 AM

I wasn't sure what you were talking about at first, but then I remembered that the end of the body harness, where it connects to the tail lights harness, has a coloured clear insulator, and you can see the wires inside. That's in my 84, I didn't really look at it in my 89.

85TAracer 10-16-2010 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by SolarGoldRaptor (Post 4705885)
I wasn't sure what you were talking about at first, but then I remembered that the end of the body harness, where it connects to the tail lights harness, has a coloured clear insulator, and you can see the wires inside. That's in my 84, I didn't really look at it in my 89.

Yes! Must have been something they tried/tesed and decided it wasnt need in future years

Air_Adam 11-03-2010 10:59 PM

Caddy used aluminum wiring in some of their cars years ago to reduce weight.