Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   History / Originality (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/history-originality/)
-   -   GTA wheel colors... (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/history-originality/613168-gta-wheel-colors.html)

Jason E 05-03-2011 09:49 PM

GTA wheel colors...

I assume the only color factory-correct is gold? The one I'm hoping to buy has charcoal wheels...I love them with the black paint, but I assume they aren't the original wheels. A friend of mine who's family sold Pontiacs from the 50s until the end of the run said he swore he used to sell GTAs with wheels other than gold...I imagine he's wrong?

Drew 05-03-2011 10:01 PM

Re: GTA wheel colors...

Gold only on the GTA. The Trans Am was offered with gold, white, red, charcoal, etc.

JT 05-03-2011 10:05 PM

Drew doesn't need to be confirmed, but I will say I agree. GTAs only came with gold wheels. However, what happens at the dealership is another story. Frankie, who bought his 1988 GTA new, did not have the factory gold wheels on his GTA but some other style of rims. He indicated the dealership would not admit the rims were swapped.

Originally Posted by Drew (Post 4910989)
Gold only on the GTA. The Trans Am was offered with gold, white, red, charcoal, etc.

Jason E 05-04-2011 05:33 AM

I'm thinking the same thing with this one. I'm hopefully buying this through a dealership that has it on consignment. The current, and only, previous owner, when I asked about the wheels, said that gold wheels were a TA thing, and that GTAs came with charcoal or black.

In other words, he has it totally backwards :lol: I've always assumed GTAs had gold wheels, but I love the charcoal on this one. They were probably swapped at the dealership, and he doesn't have a clue or doesn't remember...

The dead giveaway is the fact the screaming chicken centers are silver instead of gold...as silly as GM could be in the 80s, I can't imagine them putting silver centers on a car with gold trim...

MNformula350 05-04-2011 11:20 AM

When I worked for GM, if swapping wheels with another car on the lot is what it took to make a sale, then that's what was done.

eseibel67 05-04-2011 04:59 PM

Better check to make sure it's a GTA. Frequently a Trans Am will erroneously be advertised as a GTA.

A real GTA will have RPO code Y84 on a matching VIN SPID sticker.

Jason E 05-04-2011 10:11 PM

Already checked that...its the real deal. Thanks for the info, though. Just watched the transporter take away my '91, headed to its new owners in FL. At least I found it a good home that'll baby it like I have.

24 hours from now, I'm hoping to replace its spot in the garage with this GTA...I don't take long to get over things :D

GTA50 05-04-2011 10:39 PM

From the factory you could have any colour wheels on your GTA....as long as it was gold (couldn't resist the Henry Ford reference).

The centre caps are indeed also gold for the WS6 lettering. The PO of one of my GTAs was obviously color-blind as I bought it with three gold and one silver on that car (since changed).

okfoz 05-05-2011 08:18 PM

Actually there were a few different color gold as well, not all years were the same hue... there are some threads about it, but they were all the "Gold" color...

I want to think the earlier cars were lighter in color...

Jason E 05-05-2011 09:56 PM

Doesn't matter now anyway....went to see the car...not a single panel was saved from a scratch/chip/ding/something. Had my bank check ready and everything...came home with the check, not the car :(

Talk about mis-representation. Ever look at a car that you just KNEW used to be dirty, and now they're trying to make it look nice? This thing looked like a barn find someone cleaned up good...a shame :( I will say one thing...I drove it, and it drives amazing. I want a GTA now worse than I did before :lol:

eseibel67 05-06-2011 12:37 AM

You're ready to make a deal on a car. Upon inspection, you decide that you don't want to buy it, and then you take it for a test drive. Why?

Jason E 05-06-2011 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by eseibel67 (Post 4913157)
You're ready to make a deal on a car. Upon inspection, you decide that you don't want to buy it, and then you take it for a test drive. Why?

Well, since you asked so kindly, I will tell you. I've never driven a GTA, so I figured why not? This guy wasted 4 hours of my day, driving to and from his place, by not telling me the truth about his car. The least I should be able to do is take a 10 minute test drive :lol: I'm out a whole lot more than he is.

That ok with you???? If I sound a little irritated by your comment, its probably because I am...especially given the situation at hand.

subroc 05-07-2011 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Jason E (Post 4913702)
Well, since you asked so kindly, I will tell you. I've never driven a GTA, so I figured why not? This guy wasted 4 hours of my day, driving to and from his place, by not telling me the truth about his car. The least I should be able to do is take a 10 minute test drive :lol: I'm out a whole lot more than he is.

That ok with you???? If I sound a little irritated by your comment, its probably because I am...especially given the situation at hand.

Yea i would have done the same thing...that or used the crappy condition of the paint and body as a way to get a better price.

Jason E 05-07-2011 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by subroc (Post 4914172)
Yea i would have done the same thing...that or used the crappy condition of the paint and body as a way to get a better price.

I worked this guy for almost a week...$9,500 was his floor...and he can keep it for that. I now understand better why the car has been for sale for awhile. If it was clean, that's one thing...but it isn't. Once I saw it, I knew he was firm and we were done...I want an immaculate one.

Back on topic, the silver edges on GTA wheels...are they clearcoated from the factory? These looked polished...

Drew 05-07-2011 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jason E (Post 4914343)
are they clearcoated from the factory?

Yes

puma1552 05-09-2011 10:29 AM

I told you it was a pile, Jason. :)

Jason E 05-09-2011 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by puma1552 (Post 4915999)
I told you it was a pile, Jason. :)

I was expecting your "I told you so" :lmao: