Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   History / Originality (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/history-originality/)
-   -   factory moon roof (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/history-originality/664931-factory-moon-roof.html)

abray1 10-17-2012 01:34 PM

factory moon roof

Anyone know if any thirdgen ever came FACTORY with a moon roof. Was at Walmart yesterday and a guy complemented me on the vert and we talked while walking into walmart and he stated that his cousin had a firebird back in the day that had a moon roof. I asked if he ment t-tops and he stated that no it had a factory moon roof. I thought all thirdgens were hardtop, t-top or vert. Any info would help me from making any further assumptions about something I though I was very sure of. Thanks in Advance guys.

joeabate19 10-17-2012 05:18 PM

Re: factory moon roof

My 91 camaro camaro has a moonroof, i believe they were options offered by the dealership though. not exactly sure but i did some research on this myself and that is the answer that came up the most.

BlueZee28 10-17-2012 05:31 PM

Dealer installed, sure. Factory from GM, no.

abray1 10-18-2012 12:27 AM

I didn't know if it was like our verts and the conversion was done by someone like ASC or something like that but our verts have a vin designation saying it is a factory vert. I have never known any third-gen to have a FACTORY moonroof but if anyone has documentation please post it.

BlueZee28 10-18-2012 01:03 PM

Right, thats why the only options in the official white book from GM are coupe, ttops and vert.

HankL69 10-18-2012 07:01 PM

A sun/moon roof on any third gen just looks wrong. Even the factory ones on the 5th gens looks wrong.

GTA50 10-18-2012 10:38 PM

There is no rpo code on the SPID sheet for a moonroof. Thus, it would not be a factory item. It would have to be dealer installed.

StevenB L98/LS1 10-18-2012 11:14 PM

I do not have the paper work but i do know for a fact that sunroofs were a dealer installed deal my uncle bought a new 90 Iroc and he paid extra money at the dealer to have one installed, so i do know dealers could do it.

two-if-by-sea 10-19-2012 06:24 AM

I went to high school 20+ years ago with a girl that had an 87 Sport Coupe with an electric slider moonroof. It was heinous. The car was red, and there were these two giant black bars stuck on the top of the roof; they went from windshield to hatch. The moonroof would pop up, then slide back on these bars. In a full open position, the moonroof would be on top of the car.

Alot of work went into this monstrosity. The bars on the roof were always there, open roof or closed roof, so they looked like a backwards roof rack to snap a travel carrier on. Horrid design.

2007xl50 10-19-2012 08:27 AM

Like was said there were no factory sunroofs/moonroofs on 3rd gens. IMO they just look dumb-you see alot of pop up sunroofs on second gens. TO me it's like you should have just got the T-tops if you wanted some open air.

toomany 10-19-2012 10:51 AM

I've personally not bought a few cars because they have had sunroof/moon roofs. Not only do they look horrible, but they often leak...sometimes worse than t-tops. Unless it's factory or factory authorized I stay away.

navy02ws6 10-19-2012 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by toomany (Post 5405629)
I've personally not bought a few cars because they have had sunroof/moon roofs. Not only do they look horrible, but they often leak...sometimes worse than t-tops. Unless it's factory or factory authorized I stay away.

:yup:

Yeah, stay away from any car that has a non-factory hole in the roof. Not to mention they look just awful on third gen's.