Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   History / Originality (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/history-originality/)
-   -   Mecum Auction (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/history-originality/691611-mecum-auction.html)

Gruth5 11-01-2013 10:48 AM

Mecum Auction

What's up guys? My car will be in the Mecum Auction in Anahiem crossing the block Friday the 22nd. I'm a little nervous, never done this before, any advice on displaying your car would be great. This is the car with 47 miles on it and it is finally completely back to original. I had to put the 89 wheels and emblems back on it, and some very basic pieces that were broken. Wondering what you think it might grab at the auction. I know what I think, what do you think?

Javier87z28 11-01-2013 11:57 AM

Re: Mecum Auction

Reasonable to think 30-35k to the right buyer, any updated pics on it?

Gruth5 11-01-2013 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Javier87z28 (Post 5660810)
Reasonable to think 30-35k to the right buyer, any updated pics on it?

Here's a couple pics I have, rims are correct now, and emblems are on now on. I'm not sure if it will bid up that high, but that would be sweet. I would imagine somewhere in the 20's. Taking final auction pictures over the weekend, should be fun. can't get pictures to load on here right now, ill try later, maybe this will work; https://skydrive.live.com/

Caveman305 11-01-2013 03:16 PM

gotta have a log in to get into the microsoft account

but i would say mid 20's wouldn't be out of the ballpark

Javier87z28 11-01-2013 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Gruth5 (Post 5660876)
Here's a couple pics I have, rims are correct now, and emblems are on now on. I'm not sure if it will bid up that high, but that would be sweet. I would imagine somewhere in the 20's. Taking final auction pictures over the weekend, should be fun. can't get pictures to load on here right now, ill try later, maybe this will work; https://skydrive.live.com/

Yeah I think I was centered on what I would like to see it go for. lol

82tarecaro 11-01-2013 04:17 PM

I hope you set a reserve. You never know what could happen. You will probably get decent money for it but it might take some time advertising it in other places. Third gens don't seem to do that great at Mecum auctions. In the mean time why don't you try advertising it in other places such as Ebay and Hemmings?

Gruth5 11-01-2013 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by 82tarecaro (Post 5660926)
I hope you set a reserve. You never know what could happen. You will probably get decent money for it but it might take some time advertising it in other places. Third gens don't seem to do that great at Mecum auctions. In the mean time why don't you try advertising it in other places such as Ebay and Hemmings?

I set a 22k reserve, I bought it right, so I won't get hurt regardless. Really tired of looking at something I can't drive though. I know, I could, but the value is in the low miles I think.

Gruth5 11-01-2013 05:00 PM

I'm pretty locked in with Mecum until after the auction. The fine print says if the car isn't there for the auction, they can charge 13% of your reserve price in fees. So, If I don't get what I think is fair value, it costs me $350 and it comes home with me.

82tarecaro 11-01-2013 07:45 PM

It is worth your reserve. It's too bad you didn't want to keep it though. I understand what you mean about driving it. Good luck with the sale. Hopefully the right people turn up at Mecum and want a piece of 80's history!

Gruth5 11-01-2013 10:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The guy I've been dealing with at Mecum said these cars are hot right now, so we'll just wait and see, I'm getting another nice one to rip around in. Got the picture upload to work this time

ROCFATHER 11-01-2013 10:35 PM

Nice looking car, blue Iroc's are cool! I'm a big fan of Mecum Auctions but lately many cars have dropped in value due to a slow economy so keep that in mind. I'll cross my fingers and hope you do mid 30's but I think 22-25k is probably what you'll get. I would love to see more 3rd gens get some coverage on that show. Good luck dude.

Gruth5 11-01-2013 11:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks, looking forward to it.

Gen X T/A 11-03-2013 11:01 AM

At B-J I saw a few low mile (from what I recall under 100) 3rd gen Z28 Camaros, one with the original window sticker still in place, sell for around their original MSRP. Also, the guy I bought my DeLorean from sold a 58 mile DeLorean, that was preserved from day one and required no resto work, at B-J and only got about $26K for it, which was about it's original MSRP. '80s cars are '80s cars. Maybe a 50 mile, concours quality Buick GNX might fetch some big $$, but other '80s cars I'm not so sure. More of a niche market I think. Hope you do well, but don't be surprised if it does not bring the big money you might be hoping for.

Gruth5 11-03-2013 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Gen X T/A (Post 5661615)
At B-J I saw a few low mile (from what I recall under 100) 3rd gen Z28 Camaros, one with the original window sticker still in place, sell for around their original MSRP. Also, the guy I bought my DeLorean from sold a 58 mile DeLorean, that was preserved from day one and required no resto work, at B-J and only got about $26K for it, which was about it's original MSRP. '80s cars are '80s cars. Maybe a 50 mile, concours quality Buick GNX might fetch some big $$, but other '80s cars I'm not so sure. More of a niche market I think. Hope you do well, but don't be surprised if it does not bring the big money you might be hoping for.

Yea, I'm realistic about it, don't expect huge money for it, MSRP was around 20K. Worse case scenario, I take it home and it costs me $350. Looking forward to the experience, should be a lot of fun.

Gen X T/A 11-04-2013 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Gruth5 (Post 5661953)
Yea, I'm realistic about it, don't expect huge money for it, MSRP was around 20K. Worse case scenario, I take it home and it costs me $350. Looking forward to the experience, should be a lot of fun.

The reality is it comes down to two bidders. If they both want it bad enough, you win. Let's hope for that. Good luck!

Scorpner 11-23-2013 05:06 PM

How did this turn out? I tried searching the Mecum website but couldn't find it.

FormerL69 11-23-2013 06:48 PM

High bid was $15k. Not Sold.

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_de...4&entryRow=833

Scorpner 11-23-2013 09:42 PM

Ok, thanks for the info!

Edit: BTW, did the link provided show the bids and price?

Gruth5 11-23-2013 10:09 PM

Actually, it bid up to $16500, don't know why $15000 was recorded. Still, not too impressive, maybe EBay is a better avenue

puma1552 11-24-2013 09:12 PM

Beautiful car, tell us about the history of it being stolen? Amazing to think a car would be stolen and stuck in storage for 20 years unmolested and undriven, and then somehow found at all?

Gruth5 11-24-2013 09:31 PM

There's a thread titled "38 mile IROC" that tells the story. Briefly, it was stolen from a SoCal dealership in 89. In 2008, The guy who stole it passed away, and then the family called the police. It was verified stolen, impounded and sold in June of 2008. The car sold for $2,312.50 at the lien sale. The jackass that bought it just put in in his back yard and it sat for 3+ years and treated rather poorly. He then sold it to a small dealership in Fontana, that's where I got it. Nothing big was wrong, a couple small plastic pieces needed replacing, rims and tires, emblems were gone. After a few months of chasing parts and pieces, it's back to its former glory

puma1552 11-24-2013 09:48 PM

Just read that thread, very cool story for a special car. Good luck with the sale, don't take less than it is worth.

((Mike)) 11-25-2013 05:09 AM

I wish I had the money Tim. Your car would look great in my garage next to its twin. Then I could pick up a yellow 85-87 Z28 and put it in the little garage and have a collection. I would probably have to sleep out there with them too after my wife kicked me out of the house for spending all my money on cars. I think I have a sickness.

okfoz 11-25-2013 08:44 AM

Being a theft recovery, does it have a salvage title? From what I understand, if a theft happens, the car is not found within a particular amount of time, say 30 days, the insurance company pays out, and then if it is found after that point the car is considered "totaled" because the ins company payed out on it and basically bought the car. Being that it was stolen before it was sold may have changed that, because it was never titled... Just curious.

((Mike)) 11-25-2013 03:52 PM

Tim's car has a clean title.

jchaussee 11-25-2013 07:16 PM

Yeah. 16500 seams right. Third gens justbdont pull ib the noney

Ace 11-25-2013 07:46 PM

Glad it didn't work out at mecum, looked into bidding but they want half funds just to bid. Made an offer on the iroc and deposit shortly once get it worked out with Tim. Long road trip but can't wait!

Trying to talk him into a ls setup roller 92 Quasar Blue gta project :eek:

((Mike)) 11-26-2013 03:15 AM

Ace you are getting a really nice car from Tim. He did a great job of taking care of the minor fixes and still kept the car as original as he could. I am jealous big time. I came close to getting the money and thought about buying it to add to my stable as well but I am a stick shift guy and I already have a blue one. I have the number of a good enclosed shipper if you need one. He isn't cheap but hes honest and you don't have to go through a middle man to hire him. He delivered mine from Georgia in just a few days and took really good care of it. It would be great to meet you when you come out here. Have Tim let me know when you will be here and I'll meet you guys at his place! Its always great meeting a fellow camaro fan. Again congratulations!

((Mike)) 11-26-2013 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by jchaussee (Post 5672501)
Yeah. 16500 seams right. Third gens justbdont pull ib the noney

The car only has 48 miles on it. $16,500 seems a little cheap to me. But you do have a point, for some reason they don't pull in huge money from most folks. But its getting really hard to find one with less than 10,000 miles on it these days. And its even harder to find one cheap. Most of them are just beat! Man it seems like yesterday that I was sitting in them when they were brand new at the Chevy dealer near my house.

okfoz 11-26-2013 09:33 AM

Like anything, right place, right person and it would go for what you are asking.

John

Sweatlock 12-03-2018 07:55 PM

The Gremlin of Firebirds.

An excellent example of just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should.

dagwood 12-04-2018 12:39 PM

Hmmmm......this thread was from 2013. I wonder what that car would do today??? I'm betting HIGH 20's...maybe low 30's

scottmoyer 12-05-2018 06:47 PM

So, since this is 5 years old, why was it brought back up? I don't see anything that justifies it.

dagwood 12-05-2018 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by scottmoyer (Post 6266632)
So, since this is 5 years old, why was it brought back up? I don't see anything that justifies it.

I was wondering that myself. It's like the guy above me replied to it accidentally.........didnt make sense

BizJetTech 12-05-2018 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by scottmoyer (Post 6266632)

Agreed - a newbie dug it up with a comment that had nothing to do with the original topic

Sweatlock 12-05-2018 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by BizJetTech (Post 6266664)
Agreed - a newbie dug it up with a comment that had nothing to do with the original topic

This isn't the topic I replied to - the topic I replied to was regarding the Kammback Firebird which was last updated 2 days ago and it contains a link with photos. This obviously isn't it, so I can't explain it. I may be a 'newbie', but something screwy is going on with the website.

Drew 12-05-2018 10:26 PM

It's just that new "infinite scrolling" feature of the board software... If you scroll to the bottom for the Quick Reply box, it'll automatically go into the related threads before you get to the quick reply. Then you wonder why your reply is MIA.

The fix is to go in the user cp, and disabled infinite scrolling and related topics.

F-body-fan 12-06-2018 05:51 AM

I kinda enjoy some threads being resurrected, but that infinite scrolling feature is a bit odd. I never saw this thread the first time around so I enjoyed reading about it. I do recall the owner looking for wheels for the car however. Very cool car, But that history counteracts the value of low miles in a big way.

Anybody know where is the car now? It sounded like ACE was buying it if I read that correctly?
​​​​​​​

GASPEDDLER 12-06-2018 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by F-body-fan (Post 6266724)
I kinda enjoy some threads being resurrected, but that infinite scrolling feature is a bit odd. I never saw this thread the first time around so I enjoyed reading about it. I do recall the owner looking for wheels for the car however. Very cool car, But that history counteracts the value of low miles in a big way.

Anybody know where is the car now? It sounded like ACE was buying it if I read that correctly?

Here are some pics he posted in February on FB, I believe the car is in Canada.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...c5d333263f.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...96808a0da8.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...306925a2d6.jpg