Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   History / Originality (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/history-originality/)
-   -   Original or Aftermarket Firebird/Formula Hood Bulge Insert/Screen (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/history-originality/733442-original-aftermarket-firebird-formula.html)

thtanner 05-28-2016 01:35 AM

Original or Aftermarket Firebird/Formula Hood Bulge Insert/Screen

Does anyone have any information on this Firebird/Formula Hood Bulge Insert/Screen? I got it from somebody who had a ton of NOS GM parts, but they had no part numbers on this.. nor can I find anything after some extensive searching.

Thank you!

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...092d068eac.jpg

Hal87 05-28-2016 10:25 AM

Re: Original or Aftermarket Firebird/Formula Hood Bulge Insert/Screen

AFAIK, only the '82-84's actually had the air induction system. After that, I believe there was just a blank plate in the hood bulge intake. Should be GM part # 10024254, Cover, Orna (Exc Turbo)

Drew 05-28-2016 10:30 AM

I've seen a few of those on Ebay. Never seen one on a car. The lettering looks more like something you'd see on a second gen.

thtanner 05-28-2016 02:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I figured it was geared towards the 82-84 cars, but I had never seen it previously. It's not a 3D printed item from what I can tell, and the plastic 'feels' like it's been around since the early 80s. It's pretty thin and flimsy so I can see these not lasting long when in-use.

I am just curious if a company made these aftermarket at some time (maybe for the 80-81 TTA? I think their hood only has 2 tabs not 4 though), or if GM produced them but never got to use them.

A friend picked up one of the two the seller had, and put it on his Formula. Here's what it looks like installed.

Attachment 460251

aliceempire 05-28-2016 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Drew (Post 6043723)
I've seen a few of those on Ebay. Never seen one on a car. The lettering looks more like something you'd see on a second gen.

As I recall, second gens didn't use the hood for air induction. Just turbo "clearance" and the turbo charge lights went in there. Plus I think they bolt in differently, they didn't have the 4 bolt tabs on the bottom. I think the NA cars still had a shaker hood too, which was sealed off. Could be exceptions to that rule though.

I've never seen this insert...I'd think aftermarket. Only ones I've seen on cars were the honey comb type.

Hal87 05-28-2016 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by aliceempire (Post 6043777)
I've never seen this insert...I'd think aftermarket. Only ones I've seen on cars were the honey comb type.

:iagree:

okfoz 05-31-2016 02:23 PM

It is definitely an aftermarket thing. All of the ones I have seen are a honeycomb pattern from the factory or just a block off plate. Interestingly I have seen some early cars that did not get the air induction actually got both the honeycomb piece and the block off plate.

thtanner 05-31-2016 07:14 PM

That's what I figured based on everything I searched, but I wanted to make sure.

Seems uncommon enough to at least be a conversation piece. Keeping it for my wife's Formula, as soon as we find her one. ;)

TTOP350 06-01-2016 05:37 AM

From what I have heard, the guy that made them has died and family is selling the last of the stock. (who knows if that's true tho)
I think 1 should be saved in its current unused form and copies made from it to preserve the uniqueness of it. I looks like it was designed in the late 70s early 80s. Maybe the guy was in the design department at GM or a outside company? Wouldn't that be cool?
They sold out b4 I could get one or I'd have one.

PurelyPMD 06-01-2016 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by TTOP350 (Post 6044964)
They sold out b4 I could get one or I'd have one.

:yup: