Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   History / Originality (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/history-originality/)
-   -   What is your idea of the "ultimate" 3rd gen? In other words, the Holy grail? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/history-originality/748831-what-your-idea-ultimate.html)

Big&BadGTA 11-05-2017 09:13 AM

What is your idea of the "ultimate" 3rd gen? In other words, the Holy grail?

If you could go back in time and order one - the very best combo of options, what would you buy? How would you equip?

Lots of variables, I know.

Car must be production and not prototype- unless it was somehow released (I.e. GM Heritage Ctr. sale, etc.)

What's your unicorn? ...and Why??

PurelyPMD 11-05-2017 10:35 AM

Re: What is your idea of the "ultimate" 3rd gen? In other words, the Holy grail?

1LE with aluminum hood, or loaded up with T-tops or Leather? :cool:

Drew 11-05-2017 11:13 AM

Re: What is your idea of the "ultimate" 3rd gen? In other words, the Holy grail?

Kind of hard to pick just one.

Every day I get less and less excited about limited production numbers, and more excited about intangibles. For example I like later thirdgens because they're more reliable, and easier to work on, but the pre-90 Camaro dash gives me hardcore nostalgia. Appearance-wise I love 91-92 Formulas, and 85-90 Trans Ams. 85-92 Z28s all can look great in the right colors. But again, I'd avoid early cars because V-belts, emissions and wiring rat's nests, leaky valve covers and 2pc rear main seals, piss me off. Dual cats, and serpentine belts, gotta have them. T-tops are a bit whiz-bang for me... Kinda neat but the cons really outweigh the pros - the glare thru the glass, structural integrity down the toilet, the inconvenience storing them in the trunk and putting them in any time the car is parked. Convertible actually makes more practical sense. Absolutely have to have A/C...

So what does that leave? 89-92, Formula, T/A, or Z28/Iroc. L98 is pretty much a given, but LB9 5spds considered. Maybe a nicely equipped 90 T/A hardtop, my 91 Formula, an 89 Iroc, or a convertible with some mods. Firehawk? Something like that.

Big&BadGTA 11-05-2017 12:56 PM

Those are good choices. Keep em coming.

dmccain 11-05-2017 01:22 PM

1983 Z28. Red w/ silver ground effects.5.0 H.O. 5spd.3.73 posi. T-tops.Black interior. Or 1989 GTA Black w/tan leather 5spd 5.0 TPI.3.45 posi.

gt4373 11-05-2017 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Big&BadGTA (Post 6181141)
If you could go back in time and order one - the very best combo of options, what would you buy? How would you equip?

I Did 33 Years Ago With What Was Available From GM At The Time. :lol:

aliceempire 11-05-2017 02:46 PM

1985 Z28 (I'd rather have 86 but the production on it was not obtainable) 5.0 H.O. 5 speed 3.73. White w/gold gfx, tan cloth interior. No options other than suspension goodies. Crank windows, no A/C, no t tops. Cheapest radio if I can't buy radio delete.

And after that I'd start modifying. Warranty be damned. Exhaust gone for real stuff, that sorta thing. Hopefully I'd break the 305 to put in a 350 in a similar vane of the H.O.

J.C. Denton 11-05-2017 04:14 PM

For me absolutely the 89 Turbo T/A and a 92 Firehawk. I need to win the lottery I guess... would even buy them today and restore them fully to new condition.

88IROCvertZ 11-05-2017 05:58 PM

If I could go back and order one from a GM dealer, I'd pretty much order the car I have but I would get it with the 5-speed and 3.42 axle.. G92.. That was all that was missing from mine but wasn't a deal breaker..

I would also like a 1989 IROC black 5.7 with T-Tops and gray leather.. obviously loaded TPI car with 16" wheels, and 3.27 axle.. I would like either the red decals or blue/silver combo.. not a huge fan of the gold.. not a fan of the red interior either.. looks good new but doesn't age well..

I like the metallic colors and black.. I think it shows the shape of the car the best.. I don't think I could do white.. there were too many fire engine red ones around me, and I was not a fan of the canary yellow ones..

Only white car I'd order would be a Turbo Trans Am

I prefer the 80s interior to the airbag wheel on the 90..

One thing I like about the Verts is that you don't have to worry about the eventual headliner falling apart.. but there are a lot of cheap plastic parts that are hard to replace being so rare..

I think Third gens are fun to drive, but if I wanted something quick I'd get a new Camaro SS rather than go too crazy swapping engines and modding a third gen.. I'd rather cruise than race these days

It would have been awesome if they made a special edition Turbo IROC Vert with 3.8 turbo from the GNX or even a special edition 5.7..

kentuckyKITT 11-05-2017 06:05 PM

My unicorn is a not really spectacular per say, but today, it's extremely hard to find one!
1990 Gunmetal Metallic GTA.

Big&BadGTA 11-05-2017 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by kentuckyKITT (Post 6181239)
My unicorn is a not really spectacular per say, but today, it's extremely hard to find one!
1990 Gunmetal Metallic GTA.

I hear ya! I am a fan - HUGE FAN of 1989 Gunmetal GTAs, which the 1990 looked the same on the outside...

Jacobaxeman 11-05-2017 07:04 PM

My dream third gen is a black hardtop iroc with decal delete, black interior, 5% tints with a monster 350 with a nasty can with some pop to it, and t56. No desire for a stocker they're too slow lol. Know something funny? I Pretty much hate ttops but my car has them lmao.

ray jr 11-05-2017 08:11 PM

if i was going back in time and walked into a dealership to buy a daily driver type third gen it would be a 92 black z28 with gray leather 5.7 auto or 5.0 5 speed with ice cold ac ..

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL131.../413635548.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL131.../413635549.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL131.../413635550.jpg

StevenB L98/LS1 11-05-2017 10:22 PM

Its a hard choice. There's so many.

1. 1988 Firebird Formula early production Yellow with black trim 2 tone color with the LB9 MM5 G92 combo, with no options except tilt lever, radio and A/C. never found one with this color before with those options.

2.1988 IROC-Z Grey Metallic LB9 MM5 G92 with ttops since it was the last year for ttops and G92. With leather/cloth deluxe seats with all power features.

3.1988 Trans Am GTA Grey Metallic notchback with grey leather interior, digital dash, L98

4.1989 Turbo Trans Am

5. 1992 Yellow GTA with black leather Interior, U1A CD Delco player L98 with the SLP performance add one. chip, headers,runners,exhaust,CAI

6.1992 Z28 Camaro Purple Haze LB9 G92 MM5 Grey Leather U1A Delco CD player all power options

7.1992 Firehawk competition package with 366 rodock engine 375 HP motor.

If it was a few years earlier and I had to have one I would probably go with a 85 Trans Am black and gold trim with gold colored convex 16 in wheels 4 wheel disc brakes L69 4bbl HO 5 speed 3.73 gear combo with optional bird decal on the hood with ttops with every option interior wise including the racaro seat interior option and aero spoiler that was introduced as optional that year.

t/aws61985 11-06-2017 12:46 AM

1. 1985-1986 Trans Am L69, T-Top, Recaro, Digital Dash, WS6, Red or Black, UQ7-UT4, Louvers, Hood Bird (Plus every interior option). Would Also order a locking trunk lid, and "Trans Am" splash guards from the dealer and have them Installed.

2. 1985 Iroc Z28 L69, T-Top, lear siegler, Sliver or Yellow, EQ head unit, Center console clock, (plus ever interior option), Rear wiper. Would also order locking trunk lid, Louvers, "Z28" Splash guards, Head light louvers, and a 140 MPH "Z28" gauge cluster from the Dealer and have them Installed.

These are also my goals for my cars. Have all the parts. Well, my cars are LB9s due to how L69s are beyond Rare. Plus My Iroc is a hard Top, But not for long. Gonna find a CnC car and swap Roofs. Unless there is someone out there who has a very highly optioned 85 Sliver Iroc, with T-Tops who wants to trade for a hard top.

PurelyPMD 11-06-2017 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by gt4373 (Post 6181195)
I Did 33 Years Ago With What Was Available From GM At The Time. :lol:

I got to do the same - 5.0 TPI/5spd/G80/G92/J65 with power windows, locks, tilt, t-tops, grey custom cloth interior & tuxedo black exterior. Was my dream & still is.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...635e17ede6.jpg

82tarecaro 11-06-2017 06:19 AM

I would say the Holy Grail of third gens is a 1986 third gen equipped with the L69, and a 5 speed. It's so rare, nobody has actually seen one.

F-body-fan 11-06-2017 06:22 AM

Brand new with zero miles? Hhmmmm thats pretty easy for me.
I would love to have a 1985 Iroc with all power options, 305 HO 5-speed on Bright blue, t-tops & the contour seats in charcoal/black. I think there is a member on here with that car as I was drooling over pictures of it a couple years back :)

This might sound odd, But as a 2nd, I would also love to have my own 1987 iroc that I own right now as brand new. Not because the car is worn out, because it is not. But, I would enjoy having that seem feeling that I had when I used to drive that car when it was only 4 or 5 years old. That was just an incredible experience. I drove the car again this summer & while its still a nice solid car, it doesn't give me the same excitement it did when I was in my early 20's But, thats kinda true with a lot of things as a person gets older. ;)

Mark_ZZ3 11-06-2017 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by 82tarecaro (Post 6181306)
I would say the Holy Grail of third gens is a 1986 third gen equipped with the L69, and a 5 speed. It's so rare, nobody has actually seen one.

Lots up in Canada. :-) Came with a cage and side exhaust.

For me the 86 Players car are the grail. Only car that GM delivered with a cage in it. First car to really create the need for big brakes. Changed the 5 speed to have the lower overdrive. Racing breeds better quality production line items.

For other holy grails ... first appearance of something is cool. First Vert. First 1LE. First firehawk.

How I wished they kept the Turbo V6 after 89. Or how cool it would have been for the anniversary camaro to actually come with a 6 speed. Firehawk was sorta the best of those rare cars.

Mark.

Abubaca 11-06-2017 01:38 PM

I've never been wowed by the rarity of a specific car, regardless of make and model. I mean, I'm glad people DO own these cars, and that they're preserved over time, but I've never desired to own one. I DO have favorites, but nothing more than my preference of color, or year and trim model of one year over another.

If you're asking what I'd order NEW....if it would show up on my doorstep today? Sheesh...Beechwood on Bright Red or Blue, Maybe Red interior on white....89 Iroc, T5/LB9. Was Gonna say with T Tops, but maybe a 1LE instead. Hardly a unicorn car, but it's what I'd get. :thumbsup:

dmccain 11-06-2017 01:59 PM

I'm not surprised the majority of peoples pick are the 5.0 HO or TPI 5spd combos. What a fun car to drive.

Big&BadGTA 11-06-2017 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by dmccain (Post 6181411)
I'm not surprised the majority of peoples pick are the 5.0 HO or TPI 5spd combos. What a fun car to drive.

:yup: There seems to be a pattern, for sure.

blacksunshine'91 11-06-2017 03:12 PM

I'd order a convertible (any model) that came with the light bar. Then I'd go to the parts department and order as many replacement light bars that my garage could hold.

John Cunningham 11-09-2017 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by blacksunshine'91 (Post 6181421)
I'd order a convertible (any model) that came with the light bar. Then I'd go to the parts department and order as many replacement light bars that my garage could hold.

whats a light bar?

blacksunshine'91 11-09-2017 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by John Cunningham (Post 6182097)
whats a light bar?

http://www.cardomain.com/member/topless91/

The part that sits behind the front seats and crosses the car.

Drew 11-09-2017 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by blacksunshine'91 (Post 6182127)
http://www.cardomain.com/member/topless91/

The part that sits behind the front seats and crosses the car.

Well... It's good to see Cardomain is still completely horked since they did their "mobile device compatibility" update. :lmao:

They had to see their numbers go up in smoke. Kinda funny how it pretty much went away overnight, and they never considered just restoring a back-up.

Thirdgen89GTA 11-09-2017 07:41 PM

I will take the "Factory" definition a little broader here.

91-91 SLP Firehawk with every box checked on the order form. No reason to go with anything but that car for me. Since the car could be ordered from a GM Dealer, I'm counting it as factory.

MY87LT 11-09-2017 07:43 PM

I love my car, but if I could have had my way back then, get a 1986 Camaro Sport Coupe, fully loaded, 4 wheel disc brakes, 3.73 rear end, All IROC equipment including the lower control arms for the 16" wheels, (and here's the part where I'm gonna get yelled at) have an Iron Duke engine installed with a 5 speed behind it. In light brown metallic.

Drew 11-09-2017 11:24 PM

That's just... disgusting. Immoral? Idk, but it's not right. lol

3rdgenparts 11-10-2017 02:27 PM

Would probably have to go to canada to order the GTA but for me....

1988 GTA Black Ext, Black Int, L98,T-tops, Digital dash, Would have Dealer swap out the Gold PW7's for black ones :)

And

1982 Trans Black/Gold, LU5, T-tops, Loaded, minus rear wiper and leather, Tan B20 PMD interior, WS6
Pretty much the same car I have now, But with MORE options lol :D

Dave

LiveIt! 11-10-2017 05:33 PM

Can I be the first to say BERLINETTA? :P No love for the Berli?

I'll take a 1986 one, white with carmine red interior. t-tops, factory louvers, every option ;) if it adds a switch to the center console I want it! Really wishing I had a rear defrost this time of year :D I just want to take it cruising everywhere, a 305 with Auto is enough for me :p Good sound package, overhead console, etc etc just a real nice car to enjoy, I'm gonna own one one day! :D

I wouldn't mind having my 88 Sport Coupe new again either, just more options; and t-tops and louvers please :D

So when can I expect my cars to be dropped off? :burnout:

zya5point0 11-11-2017 04:50 PM

A little late to the party, but...Until the 5.7 came along in 87, there was nothing factory that really got me excited other than the ho 5 speed cars. That being said, I wish I'd have bought an 85 and sent it to banks for one of his 600hp twin turbo packages! One of the few cars today I'd sell my IROC to get. If anybody ever comes across one for sale please let me know :)

battmann 11-11-2017 05:18 PM

I’d like a 1984 black and gold, fully loaded, t-top mecham Trans Am. The one below is an ‘83 but same thing.

http://www.firebirdgallery.com/3rd%2...3mseta11.1.jpg

http://www.firebirdgallery.com/3rd%2...3mseta11.2.jpg

J.C. Denton 11-11-2017 07:16 PM

Wow, THAT is a real BAD A$$ CAR!!! Except the Mudflaps... :D

dmccain 11-11-2017 08:19 PM

And that monstrosity of a wing!! :eek::

1983LU5TA 11-14-2017 10:08 AM

My choice other than the obvious 89 TTA, would be an 82 Recaro ��

ev305tpi 11-14-2017 11:57 AM

Outside of the ones I have, these I'd love to own:

92 Firehawk, the one that that they made in the Jade Green color
92 1LE in Teal
89 TTA hardtop / cloth
The Orange Chuck Jordan IROC Showcar that was released by the Heritage Center that was used for design of the 91-92 Z28
87 IROC, Yellow, Gold wheels and decals, tan leather, hardtop, 5L 5-speed
89 GTA in bright red, gray leather, hardtop, 5L 5-speed

MY87LT 11-14-2017 12:46 PM

Not sure how much of a holy grail car this would be, but how about a 1985 California IROC edition?

jailfood 11-14-2017 09:15 PM

I would have to say. 1992 purple haze rs convertible with a 5 speed. Air cruise tilt power doors windrows locks etc etc. Mostly after the convertible in that color with a stick from the factory. Haven't seen one.

Reid Fleming 11-14-2017 09:38 PM

I think it's really hard to pick just one car alone. There were so many features along the way that I liked.
  • The red or blue stripe along the earliest Z28 cars.
  • I'd like a black Firehawk. But without the slanted front bumper. I didn't like them then. I don't like them now. Ditto the non-flat doors. Those always seemed like dust catchers.
  • 1LE always seemed like a neat option when I lived in Canada. Living in Texas, the thought of purposely buying a car without A/C seems insane.
  • The 1st style of IROC wheels were always my favorite on the Camaro wheels. That obviously wouldn't work on a Firehawk.
I'd probably have to go with a Player's Challenge car though. The right options for the time. And I used to love going to watch the races back then.

TTOP350 11-15-2017 07:26 AM

Very hard to pick one but I'd go with a JY TTOP 92 Hawk, comp package with rodeck block, cruise control and a cd player. :-)

Edit for 2019/2020. Almost have it done

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...a24fca4fa2.jpg

scooter 11-15-2017 08:21 AM

Mine would be a 91/92 Firehawk and runner ups would be a 92 Jamaica Yellow GTA Hardtop, an 88 GTA Notchback hardtop in Flame red or White, 89 TTA with a hardtop, and any of the first year 1LE Firebirds

yo soy el warg 11-15-2017 09:11 AM

I'd go for a California IROC with black paint and interior.

Big&BadGTA 11-15-2017 01:29 PM

What makes a California IROC special or unique?

88IROCvertZ 11-15-2017 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Big&BadGTA (Post 6183420)
What makes a California IROC special or unique?

The internet confirmed what I already assumed.. I thought it was just a stripe delete but it’s also no louvers and spoiler too:

“For 1985 a (1C5) RPO California IROC-Z was also made, Chevrolet's California Marketing Group came up with the idea and it was for sale in California only. A total of 250 black and 250 red examples were produced. They were all equipped with the 5.0 TPI LB9 engine and TH700-R4 automatic transmission. All came equipped with the IROC-Z fog lights, wheels and ground effects, but with the base Camaro's hood (no louvers), rear decklid (no spoiler), and no exterior decals.“

F350-TT 11-15-2017 09:13 PM

My biased opinion would be the same car I own but a vert, 89 Formula 350 white/beachwood. I seen a picture of one in the gallery on here.

A close second would be 89 Iroc vert with a 5 speed. As for the color I would struggle between black or that dark red with gold accents.

As for options CD player is a must and I'm good with cloth interior.

chazman 11-15-2017 09:46 PM

I'd order it the way I ordered my '89. Yeah, a 1LE would be nice, but then I'd miss the AC, power windows, power door locks and driving lights - so I'd order the one I did. :)

Big&BadGTA 11-15-2017 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by 88IROCvertZ (Post 6183430)
The internet confirmed what I already assumed.. I thought it was just a stripe delete but it’s also no louvers and spoiler too:

“For 1985 a (1C5) RPO California IROC-Z was also made, Chevrolet's California Marketing Group came up with the idea and it was for sale in California only. A total of 250 black and 250 red examples were produced. They were all equipped with the 5.0 TPI LB9 engine and TH700-R4 automatic transmission. All came equipped with the IROC-Z fog lights, wheels and ground effects, but with the base Camaro's hood (no louvers), rear decklid (no spoiler), and no exterior decals.“

Interesting. A friends of mine bought a RS model Third Gen in CA which I thought was perhaps released there earlier than the rest of the country.

Arctic White 91 RS 11-16-2017 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by aliceempire (Post 6181200)
1985 Z28 (I'd rather have 86 but the production on it was not obtainable) 5.0 H.O. 5 speed 3.73. White w/gold gfx, tan cloth interior. No options other than suspension goodies. Crank windows, no A/C, no t tops. Cheapest radio if I can't buy radio delete.

And after that I'd start modifying. Warranty be damned. Exhaust gone for real stuff, that sorta thing. Hopefully I'd break the 305 to put in a 350 in a similar vane of the H.O.

Same year and version of car - in black with black interior.

3rdgenparts 11-16-2017 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by jailfood (Post 6183279)
I would have to say. 1992 purple haze rs convertible with a 5 speed. Air cruise tilt power doors windrows locks etc etc. Mostly after the convertible in that color with a stick from the factory. Haven't seen one.

LOL, My camp counselor had a purple haze vert back in the mid '90's. Dont remember if it was a 5-spd car ? But I know it was a V8 since it had the 16"
5 spokes on it and he did some "schweeeet" burnouts for us a few times !!!:cool: :driving:

Ahhh........... Summer of '96 Chicago, memories !!! :cool:

Dave