Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   History / Originality (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/history-originality/)
-   -   Info / advice on 1991 Firebird formula gtx (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/history-originality/756039-info-advice-1991-firebird.html)

91formulagtx 09-12-2018 09:57 PM

Info / advice on 1991 Firebird formula gtx

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...4d3d9d11f.jpeg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...7aedf7619.jpeg
Hello guys first post here, tomorrow I am picking up a 91 Firebird formula with a 305 tbi and a 5 speed manual with t-tops. It has the trans am body kit. When I was first looking at it I was confused by decals that said “GTX series” on the end of the midsection side skirts. It also has a bunch of pinstriping and it say Pontiac in cool font in numerous places. I thought the previous owner had just thrown them on until i saw a forum that it was a dealer installed option, any idea on the scarcity of those cars or the history?

Drew 09-13-2018 02:56 AM

Re: Info / advice on 1991 Firebird formula gtx

Smells like a sticker package. Sticker packages range from Billy Bob having his local sign shop cut some vinyl, to the stickers in the pin striping aisle at VatoZone, to a dealership, or a few dealerships in a region inventing a sticker package to upsell a base model, to GM inventing a sticker package for a "special edition" or "limited edition".

In 91 there were four Firebirds.
  • The Firebird, with or without ground effects. V6 or TBI 305.
  • Firebird Formula, no ground effects. TBI 305, TPI 305, TPI 350.
  • Trans Am, ground effects. TPI 305, TPI 350.
  • Trans Am GTA, ground effects. TPI 305, TPI 350.
When you say "Formula" and "side skirts", I'm guessing you're looking at a base Firebird, usually with a 305 TBI. Because people often get confused thinking any Firebird with a V8 is at least a Formula, or something goofy like that. It probably has a bit to do with how some states and insurance companies classify V8 Firebirds for tax and value purposes, which leads to titles and insurance paperwork that insert the word "Formula" in cases where it doesn't belong.

91formulagtx 09-13-2018 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Drew (Post 6250295)
Smells like a sticker package. Sticker packages range from Billy Bob having his local sign shop cut some vinyl, to the stickers in the pin striping aisle at VatoZone, to a dealership, or a few dealerships in a region inventing a sticker package to upsell a base model, to GM inventing a sticker package for a "special edition" or "limited edition".

In 91 there were four Firebirds.
  • The Firebird, with or without ground effects. V6 or TBI 305.
  • Firebird Formula, no ground effects. TBI 305, TPI 305, TPI 350.
  • Trans Am, ground effects. TPI 305, TPI 350.
  • Trans Am GTA, ground effects. TPI 305, TPI 350.
When you say "Formula" and "side skirts", I'm guessing you're looking at a base Firebird, usually with a 305 TBI. Because people often get confused thinking any Firebird with a V8 is at least a Formula, or something goofy like that. It probably has a bit to do with how some states and insurance companies classify V8 Firebirds for tax and value purposes, which leads to titles and insurance paperwork that insert the word "Formula" in cases where it doesn't belong.

It does not say formula anywhere on the car, and I was confused to after seeing that Formulas did not have the side skirts, but the reason I think formula is because the vin says it’s a formula when I look it up.

BadHabit 09-13-2018 05:57 AM

Post the VIN and a couple of pics.
We’ll help you figure out what you have.
At least it’s a V8/T5 combo. That’s a win.

91formulagtx 09-13-2018 06:48 AM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...8d83d7ca07.png

Originally Posted by BadHabit (Post 6250298)
Post the VIN and a couple of pics.
We’ll help you figure out what you have.
At least it’s a V8/T5 combo. That’s a win.

in reality I was just looking for a manual and I wanted to put a bigger engine in and it needs a repaint, I was trying to figure out if I should repaint it original or just do what I want with no guilt. I will post pics when I pick up the car this afternoon

TTOP350 09-13-2018 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by 91formulagtx (Post 6250297)

It does not say formula anywhere on the car, and I was confused to after seeing that Formulas did not have the side skirts, but the reason I think formula is because the vin says it’s a formula when I look it up.

The base firebird and formula use the same VIN prefix, you need to check the RPO code decal in console or rear driver side locking compartment for W66 (formula) and WS6 (suspension)

91formulagtx 09-13-2018 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by TTOP350 (Post 6250304)
The base firebird and formula use the same VIN prefix, you need to check the RPO code decal in console or rear driver side locking compartment for W66 (formula) and WS6 (suspension)

ok will do when I get the car

Drew 09-13-2018 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by 91formulagtx (Post 6250303)
in reality I was just looking for a manual and I wanted to put a bigger engine in and it needs a repaint, I was trying to figure out if I should repaint it original or just do what I want with no guilt. I will post pics when I pick up the car this afternoon

Go for it. It's either a base Firebird (extremely likely) or it's already been horqued. Either way it's a TBI car, nothing you do is going to hurt the value.

scooter 09-13-2018 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by TTOP350 (Post 6250304)

I hate when people think the car is a Formula off the VIN, I tell them it isn't in the VIN and they get angry with me. It's not my fault, lol

navy02ws6 09-13-2018 10:24 AM

Uhh...did you run a Carfax? It has a branded salvage title from 1996. No info on whether it was an accident, flood, etc, just branded salvage. That may not be a deal breaker if the price is still right, but I would definitely pay probably 30-40% less for a car with a title like that.

At any rate, I didn't see WS6 when I ran it through compnine, so looks like a base Firebird with the W68 package.

91formulagtx 09-13-2018 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by navy02ws6 (Post 6250333)
Uhh...did you run a Carfax? It has a branded salvage title from 1996. No info on whether it was an accident, flood, etc, just branded salvage. That may not be a deal breaker if the price is still right, but I would definitely pay probably 30-40% less for a car with a title like that.

At any rate, I didn't see WS6 when I ran it through compnine, so looks like a base Firebird with the W68 package.

I am aware of the salvage it has a rebuilt title, I am getting the car for 400$ I’m not concerned I’m basically getting for it’s rust free body because it has spent its last 10 years in a garage and last 4 with the engine disassembled after he failed installing cams, I wanted a manual really bad and for that price I couldn’t resist especially Bc I just wanna put a big engine in it and the cam has stage 3 clutch and a few other upgrades.

navy02ws6 09-13-2018 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by 91formulagtx (Post 6250341)

I am aware of the salvage it has a rebuilt title, I am getting the car for 400$ I’m not concerned I’m basically getting for it’s rust free body because it has spent its last 10 years in a garage and last 4 with the engine disassembled after he failed installing cams, I wanted a manual really bad and for that price I couldn’t resist especially Bc I just wanna put a big engine in it and the cam has stage 3 clutch and a few other upgrades.

Sounds like a good deal then...I also paid $400 for my '91 T/A, but Carfax didn't report mine as a total loss from 1991 until about 8 years after I bought it.

At least you know going in!

91formulagtx 09-13-2018 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by navy02ws6 (Post 6250342)
Sounds like a good deal then...I also paid $400 for my '91 T/A, but Carfax didn't report mine as a total loss from 1991 until about 8 years after I bought it.

At least you know going in!

yeah i noticed the mandatory rebuilt Florida tag in the door sill. It will be fine for what I want wish it was a trans am or formul though
and I didn’t run it through car fax I just didn’t feel like paying for it lol