Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   History / Originality (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/history-originality/)
-   -   Repro Hood Louvers (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/history-originality/758883-repro-hood-louvers.html)

DaveyDug 02-04-2019 10:37 PM

Repro Hood Louvers

Who's using them, and how do they look/fit compared to factory originals? Pics would be great, especially pics showing both factory and reproduction parts together.

Lakerman62 02-05-2019 10:13 AM

Re: Repro Hood Louvers

i got some from third gen ranch a few months ago, got one side on (broken studs moving during wind/car wash not because its fast lol), fits well no issues

SirReveller 02-09-2019 08:38 AM

Unless I’m mistaken the repros are all plastic whereas the OEs are metal.

Drew 02-09-2019 09:39 AM

Hood louvers. ;)

SirReveller 02-09-2019 09:54 AM

Whoops! :lol:

Drew 02-09-2019 10:39 AM

It's OK a lil coffee we'll clear that right up. :)

DaveyDug 02-09-2019 05:42 PM

Haha. I was wondering what you were talking about

Nobody else? Are NOS louvers worth the extra scratch? Can they easily be distinguished from the repros?

88IROCvertZ 02-09-2019 06:23 PM

Are the repros shiny like the new grilles that GM makes?

The grille being shiny doesn’t bother me that much, but the louvers would look weird if they didn’t match the headlight buckets finish which is supposed to be matte..

Drew 02-09-2019 06:31 PM

Curious myself. I have a chip in one of mine. Debating if I want to fix it, or just throw a set of reproductions on the car. Haven't heard anything good or bad about the repros, so no news is good news... If they were total crap we'd probably hear about it. :2cents:

If you buy em, come back and let us know how they worked out.

Drew 02-09-2019 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by 88IROCvertZ (Post 6280980)
Are the repros shiny like the new grilles that GM makes?

The grille being shiny doesn’t bother me that much

The glossy grilles get on my nerves. That's why I set out to patch the front plate holes in my OE grille, and refinished it instead of buying a new one. As nice as the grill came out, I'm tempted to do a similar repair on the busted louver.

scottmoyer 02-10-2019 07:57 AM

Can you take the glossy repro and respray it with a satin clear to tone down the shine? I don't know if the clear will stick, but maybe if sprayed with an adhesion promoter first? Not sure.

DaveyDug 03-31-2019 06:05 AM

Bumping this again. Anybody got any firsthand experience here? Somebody must be using them...

DaveyDug 03-31-2019 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Lakerman62 (Post 6279925)
i got some from third gen ranch a few months ago, got one side on (broken studs moving during wind/car wash not because its fast lol), fits well no issues

Do you have any pictures of them on your car? If I understand correctly, you only replaced one side? If so, how does it compare visually to the OE part?