Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   History / Originality (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/history-originality/)
-   -   Well I got my Z28 in the paint shop.... (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/history-originality/758919-well-i-got-my.html)

dagwood 02-06-2019 03:05 PM

Well I got my Z28 in the paint shop....

I absolutely can't stand how the factory paint on the front bumper cover doesn't match for crap, and I had a little scuff on the pass side front corner, anyways.......so it's getting a little makeover. I went all last year looking at both of the things that irritated me, and I cant take it any longer lol. I'm just hoping the new paint will match better....there is only prime for the color, no variances. I figure it cant be worse....

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...a938ec7086.jpg

Little filler on the scrapes...

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...cdbc929aa4.jpg

TransamGTA350 02-06-2019 03:55 PM

Re: Well I got my Z28 in the paint shop....

Is the lower stripe original?

dagwood 02-06-2019 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by TransamGTA350 (Post 6280268)
Is the lower stripe original?

Nope...I replaced the stripes last spring with a Phoenix Graphics kit. It had the original stripes on it before that, but some were starting to peel a little so I replaced all of them

TransamGTA350 02-06-2019 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by dagwood (Post 6280269)
Nope...I replaced the stripes last spring with a Phoenix Graphics kit. It had the original stripes on it before that, but some were starting to peel a little so I replaced all of them

Well that's good. You may need to replace the short ones on the front fenders to match the new one you will need to put on the front bumper, depending on how consistent the colors are between lots.

dagwood 02-07-2019 05:20 PM

Before......

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...fc76f95a03.jpg

And after.......

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...2383b140bb.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...c1fa702717.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...f51ed7ae93.jpg

I'll have it finished tomorrow. Just gotta sand and buff the top of the nose, install the ornament, and install the cover between the nose and radiator support. Almost done!

chazman 02-07-2019 05:22 PM

Wow! Nice! Did you mask the decal?

dagwood 02-07-2019 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by chazman (Post 6280528)
Wow! Nice! Did you mask the decal?

Yep....I did. I didnt want to do it that way, but I didnt want to have to buy another complete stripe kit just for the nose pieces. It's not noticeable at all. But it would be evident if the stripes were removed. It looks a million times better than it did.

I removed the grilles and parking lights, too....and masked off the entire holes so ZERO overspray got anywhere. I wanted to remove the entire nose, but none of the bolts have ever been touched, and then I'd have to deal with realignment issues, etc.....so I painted it on the car with hours of tedious masking lol

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...205abe9ba7.jpg

LeonardS 02-07-2019 05:33 PM

It looks much better. Unfortunately, you have now destroyed its value, and I better not find any clay bar residue.......oh wait, I forgot.....it’s never had paint work......right!!!! LOL!

dagwood 02-07-2019 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by LeonardS (Post 6280531)
It looks much better. Unfortunately, you have now destroyed its value, and I better not find any clay bar residue.......oh wait, I forgot.....it’s never had paint work......right!!!! LOL!

No paint work here! It's all factory. What you're seeing is light reflections......lots and lots of them LOL

LeonardS 02-07-2019 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by dagwood (Post 6280532)
No paint work here! It's all factory. What you're seeing is light reflections......lots and lots of them LOL

I knew that........and we will go to the mat as your witnesses!

dagwood 02-07-2019 05:52 PM

So after about 4 hours of my masking mission, a dude I work with came up to me and said "Ya know, my grandma was slow......but she was 90 years old". I replied with "Yeah well I know the guy that owns this car, and he's a picky sum b1tc#" lol

dagwood 02-07-2019 07:35 PM

I found out another interesting thing with my paint color, too.....

So my maroon interior is a 1 year color....and so is this shade of silver paint. Different years share the 16 factory code.....but there are a few different WA numbers for silvers, and this particular one is 1982 only. WEIRD.

chazman 02-07-2019 07:38 PM

Really great job. Nice match. I can't tell what I've gone through to get a perfect match for touchup paint for my white '89, and I'm still not happy with it.

dagwood 02-07-2019 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by chazman (Post 6280552)
Really great job. Nice match. I can't tell what I've gone through to get a perfect match for touchup paint for my white '89, and I'm still not happy with it.

Thanks. The color is a great blendable color, but it's still not 100% for a panel to panel match. It's just a tad dark. But It sure is a lot closer than what it was, though! Our shop uses water base paint and there was no water formula for this color, so I had to order solvent base.....and therefore I couldn't tweak the color to make it 100%

Too bad you weren't closer.....we'd do a variance match with color chips and I'd make you some and tweak it until it was right on.

chazman 02-07-2019 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by dagwood (Post 6280554)

Too bad you weren't closer.....we'd do a variance match with color chips and I'd make you some and tweak it until it was right on.

Listen. You need to move, then.

dagwood 02-07-2019 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by chazman (Post 6280557)
Listen. You need to move, then.

:lol:

SirReveller 02-07-2019 08:03 PM

Wow- nice job!!

RKeats 02-08-2019 08:21 AM

Damn that looks perfect! I've wanted to have a few panels repainted on my car without having to do the full car, but I'm scared of trying to properly match decade old Dark Green haha

DynoDave43 02-08-2019 02:52 PM

Big improvement. Looks great! :thumbsup:

BizJetTech 02-08-2019 03:45 PM

Very nice work !!!......and I dont see any claybar residue :lol:
It looks even better than before, car looks pristine!

RKeats 02-08-2019 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by BizJetTech (Post 6280723)

That's because the pictures are of a different car, and also clearly photo shopped, well at least according to my lawyer .. ;)

LeonardS 02-08-2019 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by RKeats (Post 6280726)
That's because the pictures are of a different car, and also clearly photo shopped, well at least according to my lawyer .. ;)

Just wait until I have the “Industry Experts” talk to your lawyer........then you’ll be in big trouble......so big, I can’t even tell you what the trouble will be. Just know, that it will be BIG!

BizJetTech 02-08-2019 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by LeonardS (Post 6280728)
Just wait until I have the “Industry Experts” talk to your lawyer........then you’ll be in big trouble......so big, I can’t even tell you what the trouble will be. Just know, that it will be BIG!

LMAO.....:lol:

chazman 02-08-2019 04:12 PM

Don't make me unmask you all!

dagwood 02-08-2019 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by BizJetTech (Post 6280723)

Thanks! But there is wax residue on the parking lights that I still have to clean. The old dude I bought the car from must have waxed it all the time, and he waxed absolutely EVERYTHING. I still need to give it a good detailing. I've gotten most of it cleaned up. He had wax all over around the ground effects, rear spoiler, emblems, and even the door jambs. He even waxed the damn tail lights! I kept the car in a storage unit most of last summer, so now that it's in my garage at home I'll have to get busy with a toothbrush lol. But I have to hand it to the guy......the car has 22k miles, and it could seriously pass for a 5k mile car...or less. Even the front wheel bearing dust caps look like brand new. It's pretty cool to look it over in person. I really hated to paint on it.....but I just had to make I look better.

Pic of the dust cap lol

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...a7acd69694.jpg

88IROCvertZ 02-09-2019 09:05 AM

That mismatch would have drove me crazy too..

Incredible job!

You can mask off parts and avoid overspray if you take the time and do it right. The guy that did my IROC apologized for not removing the windshield, but he said it was definitely the original windshield and is in mint condition so he didn’t want to risk breaking it. I asked how he got the pillars so perfect and he said, “very carefully”

Sometimes it’s not worth pulling things apart and those stripe kits aren’t cheap. The IROC one ran me $600-700

I was originally going to only paint my nose and hood but did the whole car because I was worried about the paint looking consistent. One of the few IROCs I see around has a painted front spoiler and it doesn’t match perfectly and is also more shiny than the rest of the car. I was worried about that..

Yours looks really great though. Looks to be a perfect match in the photo!

I bet you can sleep at night now.

88IROCvertZ 02-09-2019 09:08 AM

I’d have been most worried about taping off the headlight buckets.. You want those lines to be crisp and clean..

dagwood 02-09-2019 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by 88IROCvertZ (Post 6280848)
I’d have been most worried about taping off the headlight buckets.. You want those lines to be crisp and clean..

Thanks for the compliment! Yep I can definitely sleep better now lol. I wasnt worried about the headlight buckets at all......I used to custom paint motorcycles for a living, so taping clean lines is my specialty lol :thumbsup:

88IROCvertZ 02-09-2019 12:22 PM

I wouldn’t be worried about YOU doing it! Ha ha

Especially now seeing your work.. I have the utmost respect for people that can do good paint

dmccain 02-09-2019 07:34 PM

Great job!

F-body-fan 02-10-2019 06:07 AM

Looks great!
Silvers are sooooo tough to match without blending into the next panel. Looks like you have it pretty darn close! Nice:thumbsup:

scottmoyer 02-10-2019 07:42 AM

We need to stop with the light reflection photos and the clay bar comments or "it's about to get REAL"

DynoDave43 02-10-2019 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by scottmoyer (Post 6281067)
...or "it's about to get REAL"

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...817154d87a.jpg

BizJetTech 02-10-2019 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by scottmoyer (Post 6281067)
We need to stop with the light reflection photos and the clay bar comments or "it's about to get REAL"

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...16d569674f.gif

scottmoyer 02-10-2019 02:15 PM

Still???

DaveyDug 02-10-2019 04:08 PM

Nice job, OP. You have one of the best looking third gens I've ever laid eyes on. I always love reading threads about this car.

I loves me some early third gens. :thumbsup:

dagwood 02-10-2019 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by DaveyDug (Post 6281163)
Nice job, OP. You have one of the best looking third gens I've ever laid eyes on. I always love reading threads about this car.

I loves me some early third gens. :thumbsup:

Thanks man! I appreciate it! :thumbsup:

puma1552 02-16-2019 06:27 PM

Car turned out great, nice job.

scottmoyer 02-17-2019 06:35 AM

Thank you, Darin, for sharing some of your silver paint with me. It's a perfect match for the Pace Car.

Like an idiot, I was holding a new front brake hose for the '82. The box was crap and I put the hose back in the box, closed the top and went to put the box on the lift above the '82. The bottom of the box opened and the brake line fell out and chipped the paint on the driver door, above the Indy 500 decal! Darin even sent me a very fine tip hobby paint brush that filled the chip perfectly inside the damaged area. I need to put some clear on it, sand and polish and it should disappear.

dagwood 02-17-2019 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by scottmoyer (Post 6282546)
Thank you, Darin, for sharing some of your silver paint with me. It's a perfect match for the Pace Car.

Like an idiot, I was holding a new front brake hose for the '82. The box was crap and I put the hose back in the box, closed the top and went to put the box on the lift above the '82. The bottom of the box opened and the brake line fell out and chipped the paint on the driver door, above the Indy 500 decal! Darin even sent me a very fine tip hobby paint brush that filled the chip perfectly inside the damaged area. I need to put some clear on it, sand and polish and it should disappear.

No problem Scott. I'm happy to help! :thumbsup:

Bow_Tied 02-17-2019 11:19 AM

Do I see a reflection in the paint of the tent bars above? :D

Beautiful car. My first love of third gens were the early models and I am so pumped that there are fine examples like this being maintained. Well done.

chazman 02-17-2019 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bow_Tied (Post 6282596)
Do I see a reflection in the paint of the tent bars above? :D

Beautiful car. My first love of third gens were the early models and I am so pumped that there are fine examples like this being maintained. Well done.

Those look like ceiling tiles!!!!:gocrazy: You people should mind your own business! :mad:

Bow_Tied 02-17-2019 11:36 AM

:lol:

dagwood 02-17-2019 11:38 AM

:lmao: