Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Interior Parts for Sale (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/interior-parts-sale/)
-   -   [IA] power window relay kit EASY to install! (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/interior-parts-sale/706772-power-window-relay-kit.html)

formula1LE 08-10-2014 07:50 PM

power window relay kit EASY to install!

1 Attachment(s)
For those who would rather install a professional relay upgrade kit instead of a jumbled mess of crimped wires and be supplied with high quality relays-then here you go. All connections are crimped/soldered/heatshrinked where needed and replaces your existing window switch connectors. PM for questions or more info-I have 8 kits made up and I'm asking $69/set. All wiring is also j1128 spec which means its rated up to 257F and the relays are TYCO rated at 250,000 switching cycles so yes-these are not your average parts store automotive Chinese relays either.

bbc632 08-18-2014 01:41 PM

Re: power window relay kit EASY to install!

Pm sent :-)

blacksunshine'91 08-18-2014 10:07 PM

Are these for replacing failed units or are they an upgrade of some sort?

Eldon

formula1LE 09-04-2014 03:16 PM

This is an upgrade....this is for a relay powered kit and I can also set one or both windows up for 1 quick touch express down mode also-you don't need both...basic kit converts to relay powered windows via the stock switch or I can replace the relays with solid state ones which will allow for 1 touch down like newer vehicles all have. I could even set it up for express up AND down if desired.

But, relays in general do a better job of distributing power with less voltage loss over a switch so that's the idea behind it. Everything mounts in the center console and all wiring is soldered/heatshrinked and includes the appropriate fuse panel IGN switched power leads for the new relay bank provided with my kit.

Maverick H1L 09-18-2014 09:53 PM

Do the relays have the universal 5-terminal pattern? I think I could use a couple...

formula1LE 09-18-2014 09:56 PM

Yes they do. The 87A terminals are grounded at rest.

RubberDucky 09-19-2014 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by formula1LE (Post 5814535)
This is an upgrade....this is for a relay powered kit and I can also set one or both windows up for 1 quick touch express down mode also-you don't need both...basic kit converts to relay powered windows via the stock switch or I can replace the relays with solid state ones which will allow for 1 touch down like newer vehicles all have. I could even set it up for express up AND down if desired.

But, relays in general do a better job of distributing power with less voltage loss over a switch so that's the idea behind it. Everything mounts in the center console and all wiring is soldered/heatshrinked and includes the appropriate fuse panel IGN switched power leads for the new relay bank provided with my kit.

And this essentially is plug and play?

formula1LE 09-19-2014 08:33 AM

Yes, for the most part-you just need to tie into your window motor wires @ the console-out. This kit can install under your existing switches and includes pre-wired OEM switch connectors to make it as easy of an install as possible.

RubberDucky 09-19-2014 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by formula1LE (Post 5820173)
Yes, for the most part-you just need to tie into your window motor wires @ the console-out. This kit can install under your existing switches and includes pre-wired OEM switch connectors to make it as easy of an install as possible.

Hmm, is it any extra to have the auto up/down feature added?

formula1LE 09-19-2014 10:42 PM

If you'd like Express Down its the same price-if you want Express Up or Down, price would be $119 for a kit.

formula1LE 09-20-2014 09:58 AM

I'd like to add that I've made a switch to using weather-pack seals/terminals and I include the correct receiver terminals, seals and connector for you to crimp and/or solder your window motor lead wiring for a complete sealed connection. It's just a way to improve upon the factory wiring to nicely integrate this type of upgrade for a stock appearance.

formula1LE 09-20-2014 10:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic of the connectors I use-this happens to be a pic from my 78-88 Gbody power window/lock replacement harness but you get the idea-I figure why just reproduce a stock style harness? If I'm going through the work to build new harnesses I'd incorporate newer, better style connectors.

yankeecarman 09-20-2014 04:36 PM

So nothing is done behind the trim panel at the window? All under the console? How much to send to Australia? thanks.

formula1LE 09-20-2014 09:03 PM

PM sent! And no wiring mods done behind door panels everything is installed is done under the console trim plate. Thanks!

88gtadan 12-09-2014 01:36 PM

What kinda time difference are we talking under the console relays vs kick panels vs no relays ?

formula1LE 12-09-2014 01:43 PM

It varies from one vehicle to another-but, on an 80 Monte, I timed the regular motors with no relays using the OEM switch for power, I was at 2.9 seconds on the drivers side and 4.4 on the passenger side. This was with no door panels on either. With relay triggers mounted on the door shell time went down to 1.3 seconds on drivers side and 1.7 on passenger side-nearly the same speed for both sides. In just used my stopwatch APP on my phone to gauge the time for the windows to go down.

Irockthedrag 12-09-2014 07:21 PM

You have my interest. So your telling me nothing needs to be done but to remove center console trim and plug this unit in? I only saw one plug on your unit, how does it integrate into the wiring?

formula1LE 12-09-2014 07:40 PM

My kit uses a blue and a white connectors to swap your OE ones with-these snap onto your console switches and then you need to tap into your up/down leads for each window, which is done right there inside the console below your shift plate cover.

formula1LE 12-10-2014 01:48 PM

Just an update-I've upgraded a couple areas of this harness and I've got them priced now at $79. And, I am offering that price whether you want the standard relay upgrade OR express down for both sides. The express down feature is a solid state mode so there is no need for a relay conversion since it takes the place of them. Simplest location for mounting is in the console underneath the shift plate. If you want express down modules in place of relays, I color code those to match your vehicle wiring as well.

UPDATE: due to the normally open position of the OEM switches, it is required to convert to a ground triggered switch operation which my harness kit incorporates and with that mod is the required 4-gang relay bank and this is needed for express up, down or BOTH. Price for kits effective 1-19-2015 to clear up any confusion is:

Relay conversion $79
Express down conversion $109
Express down AND up conversion $159

Shipping is extra-PM with requests.

formula1LE 12-15-2014 03:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic of a kit I just finished for Dan.

88gtadan 12-15-2014 10:13 PM

88gtadan 12-16-2014 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by formula1LE (Post 5854136)
Here's a pic of a kit I just finished for Dan.

/like

formula1LE 12-16-2014 10:11 AM

Dan-let me know what you think about the kit after install-the switch connectors replace your existing ones, and you basically cut the pink, brown, tan, blue and blue w/white stripe from your harness and splice to the ends of my harness using the pre-crimped/soldered connectors I included. The black wires from each of your switches act as a ground and I supply new ones so you can simply cut your old ones off @ the switch-they won't be needed. But be careful where you cut your black grounds tho-the power mirror switch (if equipped) also has a splice in the factory loom and it all attaches to the common chassis ground to the shifter bracket.
For this reason, I would suggest just cutting the black leads @ each of your OEM switch connectors instead so as not to interfere with the power mirror ground. The solid state relay module will serve to speed up window operation in both directions AND 1-touch express down for both as well! Like I said in a prior PM, literally about a 5 minute install!

88gtadan 12-18-2014 11:11 AM

Got the kit in yesterday
Wow lots bigger than picture made it appear lol

Prolly tear into it Friday when I get home from work

I timed my windows with the engine running and dr side was 5 sec down and 5 sec up
Passenger side was slightly slower 5.5 down and 5.5 up roughly

formula1LE 12-18-2014 11:13 AM

Oh you'll see a huge improvement!

88gtadan 12-18-2014 11:16 AM

My buddy before he did the relays was 11 sec down and 12 sec up After the relays (in the kick panels) 6 sec down and 6.5 sec up

So I'm anxious to see the difference

formula1LE 12-18-2014 11:42 AM

Wow....I'm tempted to incline to say your friend had more of an issue than just voltage drop-even 6 seconds on relay power is too long IMO. On express down for example that window should literally haul! But, the 3rd gen windows are heavy I must admit but still, you should see a dramatic difference. I'd venture to say your windows should be in the 3 second range now. We'll see!

rkg8554 12-26-2014 07:06 PM

Do you include installation instructions ? How much for express down on both doors shipped to 48127 in Mich.?

Firechicken86 01-02-2015 10:15 PM

Definitely considering purchasing this. Would love to see a video of them in action

88gtadan 01-03-2015 07:00 PM

He sends the relays already pre wired to match your wires so it takes the guessing out

cougar68 01-03-2015 08:04 PM

Is the price $79 shipped?

If so i will take a set with express down.

rkg8554 01-07-2015 01:13 PM

I would like a kit for express down for both doors. Please pm me with price shipped and your PayPal info.

cmk-2 01-07-2015 03:11 PM

This is great! I have an 1987 Iroc and a 1978 Trans Am, Can you make a harness for the 1978 Trans AM?

prplroc92 01-11-2015 09:16 AM

I would like the kit for express down also. Please PM me a shipped price with your paypal info. Thanks

formula1LE 01-17-2015 06:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK....I'm shipping out the express down relay conversion kits starting this weekend! I have spent some time working on modifications to several to the harness and after many rounds of testing in vehicle, they're ready to go! Here is a pic of the kit and its components-4-gang relay bank, (2) express down modules and labelled wiring. For this kit, you simply cut the OEM pink +12V IGN feed and ground the switch side and run the dash side to the 30A circuit breaker. Then, disregard the OEM black switch connectors grounds and match up your (4) window motor wires to my harness with the supplied soldered butt connectors. The other (4) wires from my harness replace your existing switch connector wiring-simply match up the colors and swap them out-paying extra attention to which color goes to which connector cavity.

This kit now serves to convert your window motors from being normally open @ the switches to being grounded. With that mod, you can now use the express down feature and this kit will give both windows express down mode. So to recap, the wiring part is easy:

Cut your old wiring going to your switch connectors.

Connect pink from dash to the circuit breaker (ringlet included)

Switch side of pink gets chassis grounded

Match up and swap out window motor leads (butt soldered)

Match up and swap out motor leads @ switch (pre-wired with 56-series terminals)

Disregard the OEM switch connector black grounds

Chassis ground the grounding rings from my harness

Obviously before installing this harness, disconnect battery power!

formula1LE 01-19-2015 09:10 AM

OK...I've PM'd a few of you guys with tracking info on your express down window harnesses-if you haven't received a PM from me yet, it means your kit will be shipping out today or first thing tomorrow morning and I will PM tracking info once it leaves my shop. You guys are awesome with your interest in this window kit and I sincerely appreciate your support! If you have any questions about it or other electrical inquiries, please don't hesitate to drop me a line!

I'm also currently working on a prototype harness for a full front light upgrade with delay off headlights if anybody is interested. I'll post up a new thread on those when they are ready!

Stangski09 01-19-2015 11:23 AM

Hey dude.
Sign me up for a two window express down kit for an 88 GTA w/ digital dash(doubt i matters)

Pm me and ill send the money asap.

Thanks!

formula1LE 01-19-2015 01:02 PM

PM sent!

Ed1LE 01-20-2015 08:17 AM

Are you still doing the Express Up and Down kits?

formula1LE 01-20-2015 09:03 AM

Yes-if you'd like Express up and down, I can build the harness to accomplish that as well. Most opt for down only but my harnesses are designed to be able to do both-I just need to know ahead of time so I can incorporate it into my existing harness design. I'll send ya a PM!

punkmaster98 01-20-2015 12:29 PM

do you happen to have this on video?

formula1LE 01-20-2015 12:55 PM

I don't have the express down/up one on you-tube yet....I did post the express down mod on my 1980 Monte project I started about a year ago. I'll see if I can find it and paste a link to it. The 3rd gen switches are different internally but the express feature is the same. GM designed them so when one switch leg has power, the other goes to ground. So the switches act as a DPDT circuit and are normally open @ rest. All other GM switches prior to BCM's are grounded @ rest and merely provide power to one leg when depressed by opening the contacts to ground on the other end.

cmk-2 01-20-2015 04:30 PM

Videos would be great! With the 1978 Trans Am and the 1987 IROC. Will the Monte video work for the '78 T/A? I am NOT in any way a electrical engineer.

punkmaster98 01-20-2015 04:51 PM

i just want to see it before i buy. my window is slow lol

formula1LE 01-20-2015 04:56 PM

For some reason I can't copy/paste the video....just you-tube search "GM express down window" and mine should be the first result that pops up...its a 5:38 video. I demonstrated it using what I thought were wore out factory 1980 window motors. Turns out the OEM switches were cruddy and even new replacements didn't make a huge difference-but throwing nearly 1 full volt more at them with this upgrade woke it up! The wiring for the 3rd gens is no more difficult than the Montes...its is a project of mine so I figured I'd demo my harness ideas prior to completely gutting the interior so I could build a repro window/lock harness with this upgrade integrated.

Scorpner 01-20-2015 06:59 PM

Is this it?

formula1LE 01-20-2015 07:08 PM

Hey! There we go. I was trying to load it from my phone earlier....dang Android!

Scorpner 01-20-2015 07:13 PM

Good video. Would be nice if Thirdgen windows were that fast.

formula1LE 01-20-2015 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by cmk-2 (Post 5867795)
Videos would be great! With the 1978 Trans Am and the 1987 IROC. Will the Monte video work for the '78 T/A? I am NOT in any way a electrical engineer.

Yes, the 78 TA has the style of switches that are grounded @ rest so it is the same setup as the Monte would be. The only difference is that some 2nd gens used a relay which is an obsolete part now. You will simply need to run your IGN switched pink lead that originally went to that relay to this harness' pink lead instead. The rest of the switch wiring is like that of the Monte-brown/dark blue for LH and tan/light blue for RH. The harness kit for the 78 is labelled.

formula1LE 01-27-2015 02:11 PM

cmk-2, your express down window harnesses were shipped a coue days ago-you should see them tomorrow I would think-let me know what you think! Thanks!