Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Interior (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/interior/)
-   -   INTEREST IN NEW REPRODUCTION 87-89 molded GTA door panels (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/interior/522378-interest-new-reproduction-87-a.html)

hawksthirdgen 04-21-2009 01:10 PM

INTEREST IN NEW REPRODUCTION 87-89 molded GTA door panels

Hey guys ,
Just wanted to drop a line to gauge the interest in NEW REPRODUCTION molded door panels for the 87-89 GTA Trans Ams , pricing looks to be around the 550.00-600.00 per pair mark in a variety of colors. The door panels will be made of fiberglass and have the brackets riveted to the back of the panel and will be covered in vinyl and cloth just as the originals . I know these seem kind of pricey so before we spend the money on the mold I wanted to make sure that there would be a viable interest. any feedback will be much appreciatted.
Thanks sincerely,
Bruce Hawkins
www.hawksthirdgenparts.com

JeremyNYR 04-21-2009 02:11 PM

Re: INTERST IN NEW REPRODUCTION 87-89 molded GTA door panels

What do you think about the idea of recovering original panels in vinyl and cloth as ordered by your customer? I've been able to find structurally sound used panels over the years, but they usually aren't the color I want and the cloth is invariably separating from the panel. Maybe you can reduce the production cost significantly by utilizing existing original pressed boards instead of designing and building fiberglass replicas.

Brainderailment 04-23-2009 10:35 PM

I don't think I'd spend that much on a set of door panels. But I am glad someone is finally making panels out of something other than paper. I don't have a GTA either. I've been thinking about fabricating my own set of plastic door panels and getting them to look as close to stock as possible. Or maybe with a big RS on them.

:blah:

3.1EyeCandy 04-23-2009 11:08 PM

I had mine redone years ago and ended up paying around $300... so your price seems fair for 100% new panels. You might consider having a leather option for the inside section that's typically cloth - I really like that look on mine.

3.1EyeCandy 04-23-2009 11:11 PM

Another idea for you guys - something I may have to end up making myself - reproduction center consoles for the 85-92 birds. The lower plus a lid could fetch a good price...and finding ones used in good shape has proven impossible for me. Just an idea.

picasso_88 04-23-2009 11:49 PM

I would definitely spend some money on a reproduction center console. Its hard to find one in decent shape. Maybe we should have a group buy poll to see how many people would buy one and how much they are willing to pay to see if its worth your time to make them too.

RevItUpZ28 04-24-2009 02:13 AM

I'd buy a set if you offered them. I've got 2 sets of the OEM gta molded panels in the garage currently, and had planned to recover a set to match the 4th gen seats I bought from you guys (black/medium opal). For the time being, I picked up the last set of hampton vinyl camaro door panels you guys had on clearance a while back and dyed the carpet at the bottom of the panels black to match my interior.

flippermtc 04-24-2009 08:04 AM

Reproduction of the firebird center console is a great idea. I plan of trying to fix mine but if a repro was available i sure would look at it. Sill plates would also seem to be a good part for reproduction.

80schild 04-24-2009 08:48 PM

Re: INTEREST IN NEW REPRODUCTION 87-89 molded GTA door panels

If mine were falling apart I would be interested in a reproduction pair. Thankfully mine are still in okay shape.

glock 05-07-2009 11:41 PM

im in if they look stock :)

Diggler86 05-08-2009 05:50 PM

Are the door handles included? I can never get mine clean, and would need those as well. If they were covered in the soft leather or leather-like, that would be even sweeter.

firebirddude142 01-31-2013 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by JeremyNYR (Post 4129622)
What do you think about the idea of recovering original panels in vinyl and cloth as ordered by your customer? I've been able to find structurally sound used panels over the years, but they usually aren't the color I want and the cloth is invariably separating from the panel. Maybe you can reduce the production cost significantly by utilizing existing original pressed boards instead of designing and building fiberglass replicas.

I feel this way would be the best

JeremyNYR 01-31-2013 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by firebirddude142 (Post 5477835)
I feel this way would be the best

I'm glad you like my idea, and I think I'm going to eventually go through with it by bringing my existing panels to a local upholstery shop. Unfortunately, this thread is 4 years old, so Hawks probably decided against the idea. Be careful when replying to topics you found using the search feature!

miamivice 02-01-2013 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by hawksthirdgen (Post 4129565)
Hey guys ,
Just wanted to drop a line to gauge the interest in NEW REPRODUCTION molded door panels for the 87-89 GTA Trans Ams , pricing looks to be around the 550.00-600.00 per pair mark in a variety of colors. The door panels will be made of fiberglass and have the brackets riveted to the back of the panel and will be covered in vinyl and cloth just as the originals . I know these seem kind of pricey so before we spend the money on the mold I wanted to make sure that there would be a viable interest. any feedback will be much appreciatted.
Thanks sincerely,
Bruce Hawkins
www.hawksthirdgenparts.com

Hi Bruce,

Yes would be intersted if you can get the colors, fabrics, and grain paterns to match the factory ones...

Thanks for effort in putting restoration parts out on the markets for our cars!

F

Firechicken86 02-01-2013 01:46 AM

I would definitely buy a pair, you should also look into selling manual shift plates for firebirds. I can't find them anywhere

FrankieRider2 02-01-2013 02:32 AM

Bruce, don't know if the market will bear that much cost or not. I like your idea and you will get the folks who are looking for OEM quality for their cars, but the average GTA owner may not want to spend that kind of $$$.

I have a Notchback that needs a set badly, and it would be hard for me to spend that kind of money. But I'll be glad to help spread the word for you...

82tarecaro 02-01-2013 06:53 AM

This thread was started in 2009. I guess Hawks didn't see enough interest so they never made them.

miamivice 02-04-2013 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by 82tarecaro (Post 5479010)
This thread was started in 2009. I guess Hawks didn't see enough interest so they never made them.

shoot...missed that!

F-body driver 05-15-2013 02:44 PM

I 'd sure buy them for that money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

F-body driver 05-15-2013 03:04 PM

Nobody makes them !!!!!!!!

F-body driver 05-15-2013 03:12 PM

Anyway I 'd prefer that Hawks Third Generetion took the old door panel boards and recovered them with the Vinyl and Pallex cloth combination too :goodidea:, like upholstery shops make !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NowhereFast 05-17-2013 07:18 AM

I would definitely go for a set of panels if they made them. It's hard to find ones in good condition.

rawley2 05-20-2013 05:46 PM

Please don't forget the door pockets on them.

87 GTA Vert 10-07-2022 03:12 PM

Bruce, I know this is an old thread but you might want to re-visit this topic. I am trying to restore an '87 GTA Convertible and there are no options for replacement GTA door panels except to find a used pair which are few and far between.

LAFireboyd 10-13-2022 10:03 PM

Wow! 10 replies when the original post was current. 12 replies when the post was 4 years old. 1 reply at 13 years old to revive this old thread. And Hawk's never followed-up at all. Going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing nothing ever developed with these. :lmao:

Too bad, too, because this seems like it would've/should've been a popular idea. They're the nicest, least dated-looking and least available door panels of the generation, and they'll fit and look as good in Camaros as they would in Firebirds, so sales might've been good.

When Bruce asked the question, he probably just wanted "yay" or "nay" replies, not a can of worms full of suggestions and options. He also might not have considered that these door panels require specific armrests. Can't produce one without producing the other. That might've been the killer for this idea. Oh well...