Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Interior (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/interior/)
-   -   Should i save or let it go (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/interior/572296-should-i-save-let.html)

Hyper Tailz 05-13-2010 12:23 AM

Should i save or let it go

Well i have a dilemma . i have a 92 camaro 3.1 and the headliner has just been removed so i can replace it... the headliner was so old that it fell apart right in the middle. i was wondering if there's a way to save it or i should just go on and buy a new one. If so where can i get a good headliner

87WS6 05-13-2010 12:24 AM

Re: Should i save or let it go

I'd buy a new one. Year One, Hawk's, and various sponsors sell them. The ABS plastic headliners are VASTLY superior to the originals.

Hyper Tailz 05-13-2010 01:08 AM

What are the average cost for a abs ttop headliner. my interior is Grey should i go black or keep it stock??

86NiteRider 05-13-2010 01:35 AM

Yeah I would go new too. It is too much trouble to repair and a new one makes life simple. No more worries for the next 15 years. Black does not show dirt. How much stock is the rest of the interior and will black match or is the interior all grey?

Hyper Tailz 05-13-2010 07:28 PM

Well i have black leather iroc z28 electronic seats in the car and in the process of cleaning and connecting them. aside from that the flooring is grey and the door handles

JackRs 05-18-2010 01:56 AM

Go gray.
Keep it stock.
There is enough black interiors out there for my taste. IMO.

Hyper Tailz 05-19-2010 04:24 PM

i think your right... its way too much of a hassle just to change it all black and alot of people have the all black thing going on. i think it was wise factory came grey. i gonna stay happy with the black leather seat and that's that

JackRs 05-19-2010 06:18 PM

:goodidea:

Salvo 05-20-2010 09:37 AM

Repair it... you can go to the fabric store and get the fabric of your choice and use a spray on contact glue... Just make sure its good and clean when you start... I have done severall including door pannels. Looks great when done and gives it that custom look.... not hard to do eaiser with 2 people

87WS6 05-20-2010 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Salvo (Post 4551103)
Repair it... you can go to the fabric store and get the fabric of your choice and use a spray on contact glue... Just make sure its good and clean when you start... I have done severall including door pannels. Looks great when done and gives it that custom look.... not hard to do eaiser with 2 people

It's falling apart based on the description of it by the original poster. I'd say now would be a good time to simply replace it. Why would you want to fix that? Its cardboard for ****'s sake.

Salvo 05-20-2010 09:46 AM

Well falling apart could mean 2 things. the fabric is falling off of it and the base is still fine. Or like you said the base is falling apart. If the base is falling apart then ya replace it...

Hyper Tailz 05-20-2010 06:24 PM

yea its falling because its sooo old... plus if i wanna do something i wanna do it right... i dont wanna worry about it later or its start sagging. i am gonna go new and the abs so i dont have to worry about it for at least another 10 years. i have to look on what was factory color.. i have a 92 camaro with ttops and the interior is gray but on hawks it has something called "medium dark greay 85-92) i wonder if that's mine :huh::huh:

87WS6 05-20-2010 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Hyper Tailz (Post 4551441)
yea its falling because its sooo old... plus if i wanna do something i wanna do it right... i dont wanna worry about it later or its start sagging. i am gonna go new and the abs so i dont have to worry about it for at least another 10 years. i have to look on what was factory color.. i have a 92 camaro with ttops and the interior is gray but on hawks it has something called "medium dark greay 85-92) i wonder if that's mine :huh::huh:

Yes, the actual interior color is "Medium Dark Gray."

Hyper Tailz 05-20-2010 06:34 PM

Sweet thank a buch... i prob put up pics so... thanks again to all that help me make this fine choice

XxFormula87xX 05-20-2010 07:12 PM

the company i went through, tpiparts.net? sent me samples before i ordered to match my interior the best.

Eagle223usa 05-22-2010 09:06 AM

My headliner board came out in peices also. I ordered a new replacemant and wasn't happy with the fit. So I just went down to Advance and bought some liquid resin and fiberglass cloth and patched it back together. Took half a day and only cost about $20. It's solid now.

nethuryn 05-28-2010 07:08 AM

if you are going with interior pieces go to www.hawksthirdgenparts.com you can get the head liner, sail panels and visors to match brand new for under 300.

Hyper Tailz 05-28-2010 01:47 PM

Yea that who i went though with..... they were great.... two really big tumbs up.... i just finished installing just the headliner with the center console and it looks like new.... the only thing is that i had the cut the holes for the center console... asdide from that i think it was easier to put the abs one in than the cardboard in(praying that it doesnt fall apart while putting it in)...

Hyper Tailz 06-01-2010 10:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 411951Attachment 411952Attachment 411953

Hyper Tailz 06-01-2010 10:34 PM

Well this is the headliner pretty much installed... it looks feels better than oem :imo:.. havent installed the speaker not sun visors but just by looking at them i wont be disappointed in them .. they wernet hard at all to install. the only thing that was hard was making the extra holes for the center console.. i highly recommend them to anyone third hawk gen for headliners.. i understand people trying to save a few bucks restoring the oem but sooner or later the cardboard will give out. now i dont even have to ever worry about a headliner issue

Slow89Iroc-Z 06-15-2010 10:14 PM

What color did you order?