Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Interior (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/interior/)
-   -   Metal box under right side dash speaker....? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/interior/584443-metal-box-under-right.html)

Project 3.4 Camaro 08-19-2010 12:50 PM

Metal box under right side dash speaker....?

Here's the deal after getting my car I found out a PO had some sort of electronic crap in it, because there is a whole mess of wire that doesn't belong and the speakers weren't stock(or decent speakers o.O?) anyways just found a nice big chunk of it under the steering column when removing the dash...would like to remove all this crap as I have no idea what it went to and don't want someone else's hackjab wiring in my car....
Found a metal box mounted vertically to a bracket underneath rightside in dash speaker, also noticed the firewall has vents underneath of it, someone tell me if it belongs there, kind of looks like an ECM box so I am wondering if PO relocated it or something....

camaronewbie 08-19-2010 01:19 PM

Re: Metal box under right side dash speaker....?

Sounds like the ECM or the Cruise Control Module if it's pass side - is it the same box you see from under the dash on pass side? Get us a pic if you can.

The rest might have been hacked speaker wire, or door entry - mine had keyless entry installed by the PO that actually works, and works great - pops the door locks and the trunk!

Project 3.4 Camaro 08-19-2010 01:35 PM

Yeah but isn't the ECM supposed to be driver side underneath steering column I always thought?

Apeiron 08-19-2010 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by 3rd gen RS (Post 4646712)
Yeah but isn't the ECM supposed to be driver side underneath steering column I always thought?

No, never. Under the drivers side are the fuse box and convenience center.

henryd3 08-19-2010 04:39 PM

If it's silver, mounted vertically, measures about 6 inches wide,about 9 inches long, and 11/2 inches thick and has a bunch of wires plugged into the bottom end , it is without a doubt your engine computer and by no means excess stuff and that is it's normal location

alicat 08-20-2010 07:44 AM

If its the ecm,it will have 2 plugs on one end,one will go to the fender connector on the right side near kick panel,and the other will lead back into the interior harness.

Alicat.

Gumby 08-20-2010 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by 3rd gen RS (Post 4646673)
Found a metal box mounted vertically to a bracket underneath

That's where you hide the cocaine.

camaronewbie 08-20-2010 05:00 PM

:lmao:

Convoy25 08-20-2010 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Gumby (Post 4647669)
That's where you hide the cocaine.

i thought thats what the deep pockets behind the 6x9 speakers were for?

and yeah thats your computer

sonjaab 08-21-2010 02:06 PM

Its the ECM or PCM aka the computer!