Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Interior (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/interior/)
-   -   What is the best paint to use on panels?? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/interior/615359-what-best-paint-use.html)

Andrew1320 05-23-2011 04:10 PM

What is the best paint to use on panels??

So I am getting ready to paint my interior panels black. What would be the best kind of paint to use?? I know I'm not going to use spray paint cause it comes out real tacky. I was thinking something like Vinyl Paint. Is that a good choice?? Or does anyone know the best paint to use??

firebird904 05-23-2011 05:03 PM

Re: What is the best paint to use on panels??

I've used two different kinds. First I tried using duplicolor vinyl and fabric paint and it did work good but I decided I wanted to give it another coat of paint on the panels so I used krylon fusion plastic paint and I must say that the krylon holds up quite well compared to the duplicolor and I can run my nail over it and it won't chip or anything. I also took acetone and scrubbed the panels good to make sure there wasn't any grease or armor all on the panels causing the paint to lift.

Blownz28man 05-23-2011 08:48 PM

I've heard SEM makes a good paint. Maybe research it? little pricey.

Andrew1320 05-23-2011 11:21 PM

Thanks for the advice. I am either gonna paint my panels black or do sheet metal in place of my panels. My cousin did that in his 89' Mustang and it looked SWEET! So I think I might do that.

1ADan 05-24-2011 07:57 AM

Krylon fusion has done me well in the past on plastic panels. SEM is the king of the hill, but may be a little more expensive and harder to find. A lot of plastic painting comes down to prep - gotta get those panels squeaky clean if you don't want issues

58mark 05-24-2011 08:30 AM

I've thought about the spray on bedliner. the kind in the can has a fine texture to it very similar to a dashpad, and I would think it would look nice, and be very durable

anybody ever try that?

DJ Delsym 05-24-2011 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by 58mark (Post 4931563)
I've thought about the spray on bedliner. the kind in the can has a fine texture to it very similar to a dashpad, and I would think it would look nice, and be very durable

anybody ever try that?

Doubt it but sounds like an interesting idea. Is that stuff flexible?

80schild 05-24-2011 09:21 AM

I used SEM Color Coat and it works well. Just make to to clean/degrease the panels first, and then use an adhesion promoter (I used Duplicolor).

82tarecaro 05-24-2011 09:59 AM

I used SEM - it worked really good. Just use the adhesion promoter like 80schild said. I painted an armrest 6 years ago for my daily driver with SEM, and it still looks good today. I changed the color also, and the old color never showed through.

Andrew1320 05-24-2011 03:34 PM

Thanks everybody! I might try the Krylon Fusion.