Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Interior (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/interior/)
-   -   Slow Window motors-need advice (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/interior/621594-slow-window-motors-need.html)

Mr. IROC-Z 07-19-2011 05:32 PM

Slow Window motors-need advice

Hi guys,
We recently replaced both window motors because the windows were rolling up very slowly. To my surprise, the new motors did not help at all! The windows take a very long time to roll up!
What can be causing this issue? The battery is strong and I have checked all electrical connections.
Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks

Twin_Turbo 07-19-2011 05:36 PM

Re: Slow Window motors-need advice

Usually it's not the motors, easiest way to check is with a battery, apply direct 12v to the motor for up and down to test. You will most likely see the window fly up and down. Forgot if these motors are polarity switched or 12V for up and another 12v terminal down and ground via the door (motor housing), you'll have to look that up. If this is the case, the problem is corroded connections. Had that happen on a lot of cars.

Project 3.4 Camaro 07-19-2011 05:37 PM

I think there is another part called a regulator, and that that is usually the culprit of slow windows, but I really don't know for sure, just know the I've heard of it in relation to that problem a few times. One of several reasons I wanted a basic car :P

Twin_Turbo 07-19-2011 07:46 PM

The regulator and guide rails and rollers should be free of dirt and greasd good with a lithium grease

also, if the anti rattle cushions are too tight against the glass whis will cuase slow moving windows also

80schild 07-19-2011 10:17 PM

I cleaned my tracks with brake cleaner and it seemed to free them up a good bit (watch the paint though). The old grease in there attracts dirt and tends to dry up and get sticky over time. After cleaning you'll need to spray some fresh lithium grease in there.

I used a whole can of brake cleaner per side on mine. You'll be amazed at what comes out.

majobis 07-20-2011 09:15 AM

James C, one of the moderators, did an excellent tech article on here about doing over/cleaning the whole window assembly. If you can find the article, it should help with some of the problems you are describing.

TreeFiddy 07-20-2011 10:42 AM

The factory wiring is too narrow a gauge, and runs the high motor currents all over the car, rather than using relays near the motors. Volts were down from 12 to about 9-ish at the door looms, from memory. The circuit breaker was dropping about half that, the wiring the rest.

Didi this a couple years ago - I ran new positives to the doors using I think 8ga cable, and set up a couple of cheap relays each side to intercept the switch signal and fire some real current down the door looms.

This got me from 12 sec windows up or down, to 3-4 sec windows. Would probably get even more by lubing everything as outlined above.

majobis 07-20-2011 11:58 AM

I found the link I was referring to earlier: https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/faq-...servation.html

87350IROC 07-20-2011 12:27 PM

Another related option would be to convert to one touch windows using a module like the DEI 530T. I use this and no longer notice the slow windows. One of the best $50 I have put into the car. It is a total stealth installation that uses the stock buttons.

I would also agree with TreeFiddy that the you can get faster windows with improved wiring.

Mr. IROC-Z 07-20-2011 01:15 PM

Guys, thanks for all of the responses! I will read the article and also look into the DEI device!

Thanks!
Tommy