Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Interior (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/interior/)
-   -   Gauge face replacement - How much work? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/interior/701567-gauge-face-replacement-how.html)

PATRIOTIC1911 05-05-2014 07:58 PM

Gauge face replacement - How much work?

How much of my dash has to come out in order for me to get the gauge cluster out? Not necessarily looking for a step by step, just wondering if the whole dash has to come out or just parts?

stealtht/a 05-06-2014 06:30 AM

Re: Gauge face replacement - How much work?

Just the dash pad and guage bezel. Drop the steering column down as well. Have to remove lower dash trim under the wheel. You have an airbag, so unhook the battery first. Just loosen the nuts and lower it as far as you can without removing the nuts.

PATRIOTIC1911 05-06-2014 09:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by stealtht/a (Post 5760167)
Just the dash pad and guage bezel. Drop the steering column down as well. Have to remove lower dash trim under the wheel. You have an airbag, so unhook the battery first. Just loosen the nuts and lower it as far as you can without removing the nuts.

Thanks. Actually, I don't have the air bag anymore. I changed out for a grant wheel. That is what kind of stirred this on. I need to pull the bulb for the inflation light. I figured if I was going through the trouble to remove the bulb I might as well make it worth my while and put in some white gauge faces also.
Attachment 336221

blacksunshine'91 05-06-2014 04:33 PM

I took the lazy route. I pulled the bezel and gauge lens off and just put a small piece of electric tape over the air bag light. Actually looks good and the tape isn't noticeable unless you stare directly at it.

PATRIOTIC1911 05-06-2014 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by blacksunshine'91 (Post 5760463)
I took the lazy route. I pulled the bezel and gauge lens off and just put a small piece of electric tape over the air bag light. Actually looks good and the tape isn't noticeable unless you stare directly at it.

Ya, I have tape over mine right now also. I have couple car shows coming up and I don't want the tape there. Besides, it gives me an excuse to change the faces:D

PATRIOTIC1911 05-06-2014 07:30 PM

This may be a dumb question, but do the needles just pop/pull off? I don't want to take a chance at breaking anything....

blacksunshine'91 05-08-2014 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by PATRIOTIC1911 (Post 5760579)
This may be a dumb question, but do the needles just pop/pull off? I don't want to take a chance at breaking anything....

That's where I got stuck and decided to call it quits at that point before I broke my gauges.

PATRIOTIC1911 05-08-2014 11:10 PM

Doesn't anyone know how the gauge needles come off??

Caveman305 05-13-2014 05:11 PM

the needles just pull of, when swapping mileage rolls from my 115 to my 145 i broke the 115 pintle(sp?) that the needle sits on, the 145 needle popped off with little force

PATRIOTIC1911 05-13-2014 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Caveman305 (Post 5763669)
the needles just pull of, when swapping mileage rolls from my 115 to my 145 i broke the 115 pintle(sp?) that the needle sits on, the 145 needle popped off with little force

Thanks

bop11 05-14-2014 07:18 PM

Horologist supply companies have special pullers for taking the hands off clocks and watches. Some are cheap and do the needle job easily with out breaking anything. There is a special procedure for taking the hands off stepper motor gauges. You need to replace the needle in the exact position that they came off or it will need to be recalibrate. Check for videos on the net on recalibration.

Ruckusz28 05-15-2014 07:23 AM

It wasn't bad. I didn't have to take my dash pad out. I just lowered the column. Took about 6 beers to finish. Then i had to take it out about 4 times to stop the gauge needles from hanging up on it. The illumination is great, but I wish I would have went the autometer route. Maybe next time.