Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Interior (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/interior/)
-   -   Need carpet opinion (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/interior/751942-need-carpet-opinion.html)

Desertvert87 03-28-2018 04:04 PM

Need carpet opinion

Where is the best place to buy carpet for a 87 gta convertible

Tibo 03-29-2018 01:16 PM

Re: Need carpet opinion

1Aauto had the best prices. I went with this ACC:
https://www.1aauto.com/1985-92-chevy...=774416&y=1991

I had a bad experience with it. The carpet I received had no cutouts so I had to cut everything. I would have requested that they swap it and eat shipping costs both ways but I didn't open it until 2 months later. The fitment was also sub-par for me. The carpet is raised up an inch from the transmission tunnel. Not much I can do about it. Lots of other members have no complaints about the ACC capret though so I may be an outlier.

82tarecaro 03-29-2018 01:22 PM

When you order it, take it out of the box right away to avoid creases, even if you are not installing it for awhile. Also, use a steamer to soften it as you install it. You can also use a heat gun on the backing if you are careful.

Degweiser 03-29-2018 01:40 PM

rock auto

Desertvert87 03-29-2018 11:39 PM

Thanks for the referrals guys and the tips much appreciated :)

sshoureas 04-15-2018 07:09 PM

The biggest tip I can offer is to spring for the extra dough to get hte "mass backing" option. It'll make fitting and laying carpet easier and you can virtually install it out of hte box as the rubber backing has a memory and will snap back into shape almost as soon as you take it out of the box. Well worth the extra investment plus it helps sound deaden.

Thirdvert89 04-21-2018 03:10 PM

Sshoureas what place can u recommend for this carpet you are referring to

sshoureas 04-22-2018 02:55 AM

ACC Carpets, Stock Interiors, Hawks Thirdgen, 1A Auto, etc ... they should all offer it. I think there's only a couple companies actually making the carpet although several selling it ...

Thirdvert89 04-22-2018 03:03 AM

• thanks so much

92Annie 01-03-2019 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by sshoureas (Post 6215157)
The biggest tip I can offer is to spring for the extra dough to get hte "mass backing" option. It'll make fitting and laying carpet easier and you can virtually install it out of hte box as the rubber backing has a memory and will snap back into shape almost as soon as you take it out of the box. Well worth the extra investment plus it helps sound deaden.

Hey sshoureas, thanks for the info! When I was looking at carpet choices I had the option to choose mass backing as well as loose padding. Are these two options both insulation, do I still need the padding with the mass backing? After accidentally setting my Z on fire I need to replace both the carpet and the insulation and only want to go through this process once lol.

sshoureas 01-03-2019 02:55 PM

I haven't re-carpeted an f-body so I'll guess a tar paper like insulation might be available to lay down in several pieces before laying the molded carpet down. That's the way it went in my 1976 Grand Prix 50th Anniversary. In my 1987 IROC, the PO owner re-carpeted it but didn't spring for the mass backing so it isn't nice, tight and smooth like my Grand Prix so it's a bit wrinkly.

Aviator857 01-03-2019 03:25 PM

I installed 1aauto, dark med grey carpet in around 2000-2002 and it fit pretty good. I left it out in the sun while I pulled the old. I had put in dynomat (well knock off) and some additional insulation so that made some of the tight corners a little tricky. After about 5 years I noticed a slight purple tinge to the color in a few spots I assume fading and it was in spots that get wet from shoes and the hatch when you open it in the rain. At the time it was daily driven and parked outside. Mine had the heavy rubber backing and the padding pre glued to it. I did use too much spray adhesive while installing it so that will make take two a little interesting.

But to be honest it still looks better than the factory carpet did in 2000. The foot pad for the driver has stayed in good shape.

Only trimming I had to do was door edge and center console area. I believe at the time I ordered it without the cut outs in the center console but I could be wrong about that. The only wrinkle I never got out was in the well in the trunk area but without extra insulation I don't think that would of been an issue... or if I had used a heat gun... I know a lot more now than I did then.