Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Interior (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/interior/)
-   -   Fitting rear hatch struts (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/interior/756652-fitting-rear-hatch-struts.html)

jomalley1234 10-11-2018 10:52 AM

Fitting rear hatch struts

About to fit new hatch struts as mine won't hold the hatch open anymore. Do i need to be aware of anything when fitting them? are there any torque specs i need to follow or just do the fittings up tight? thanks guys

3rdgenmaro 10-11-2018 10:58 AM

Re: Fitting rear hatch struts

if you have rear defrost make sure you get the right ones with connections

Other then that, nothing really special. Torx head I believe. Just tighten them up.

It doesn't take two people, but it does help having someone to help hold the lid up while you replace them.

navy02ws6 10-11-2018 11:32 AM

If you're not getting Delco replacements, make sure that your rear defrost still works after installing them. I had problems with several off-brand replacements that I tried, they would immediately fry the rear defrost relay/switch as soon as I hooked them up.

IROCU2 10-11-2018 02:16 PM

Which struts did you go with?

John in RI 10-11-2018 03:21 PM

IIRC some hatch struts are option specific. If you've got a large factory "wing" on the hatch ( wrap-around Trans Am or 91-92 Z28 high rise ) or maybe a rear window wiper the hatch struts will probably need to be specific for that application. If you buy a generic hatch strut than your probably going to get --- a generic hatch strut. Probably not strong enough for any hatch mounted options and probably not rear defroster style.

:driving:

Drew 10-11-2018 08:23 PM

Prop open the trunk lid with a broom handle, wood dowel, or whatever.
Loosen the screws at the decklid first, otherwise if you remove the bolts toward the front first, they tend to bind. Easier to take the decklid screws out first, slip the end of the strut off, and take all tension off the front bolts.
Most of the hatch struts are somewhat universal anymore, as in it'd probably be much more difficult to find the struts without the defroster tabs than the other way around.
You'll see listings for struts for with Spoiler, or with Wiper, or with Spoiler and Wiper. From my perspective, it doesn't matter much... The stiffest strut will get soft over time anyway. If you have a heavy wrap around wing, or rear louvers, you'll want the struts listed for cars with all the options. Even then, they might be a bit softer than you expect.

jomalley1234 10-15-2018 02:54 AM

Got the struts from lift support depot. they are strongarm ones. i have the lighter 84 spoiler, defrost and rear wiper and they came with all the connections and everything is working fine :-) i did enlist the help of a friend to hold the hatch for me while fitting them and we seemed to do a good job, i now have a hatch that can hold itself up :-) Thanks for the advice guys.