Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Interior (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/interior/)
-   -   seat cover kits (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/interior/758407-seat-cover-kits.html)

Skullie 01-10-2019 03:26 PM

seat cover kits

Hello, just wondering if anyone has these type of seat covers and what their opinions are of them. My car is black with a beechwood interior so I thought they might look nice. But they seem extremely pricey and I'm not sure of the quality. Anyone have these or similar, maybe with some pics?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-92-Pon...ciBc:rk:5:pf:0

Abubaca 01-10-2019 03:44 PM

Re: seat cover kits

The price is right, assuming the quality is there. -but I'd never wanna buy an upholstery kit if I didn't have the name of the person making them. Normally, I'd say look locally, and talk to a few shops. I got quoted about $1500 to have leather covers made by a local guy here. -and that's installed. If something isn't right, he knows he's gotta shake your hand and that you'll be looking over his work before you pay. Retail is, -ya get what ya get! Not saying they're not awesome, but ya just don't know. ...and then if fit isn't perfect, you're fighting the middle man to make it right. No way. Not for me.

.....the exception to the "local" guy however.... Check out Princess at Lethal Interiors. She has quite the following here on TGO and does great work. I'm actually in communication with her right now as I'm contemplating new seat cover myself. -also beechwood btw! ....because of her reputation withing the 3rd and 4th gen community, and her customer service thus far, I would recommend her.

Skullie 01-10-2019 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Abubaca (Post 6273617)
The price is right, assuming the quality is there. -but I'd never wanna buy an upholstery kit if I didn't have the name of the person making them. Normally, I'd say look locally, and talk to a few shops. I got quoted about $1500 to have leather covers made by a local guy here. -and that's installed. If something isn't right, he knows he's gotta shake your hand and that you'll be looking over his work before you pay. Retail is, -ya get what ya get! Not saying they're not awesome, but ya just don't know. ...and then if fit isn't perfect, you're fighting the middle man to make it right. No way. Not for me.

.....the exception to the "local" guy however.... Check out Princess at Lethal Interiors. She has quite the following here on TGO and does great work. I'm actually in communication with her right now as I'm contemplating new seat cover myself. -also beechwood btw! ....because of her reputation withing the 3rd and 4th gen community, and her customer service thus far, I would recommend her.

Thank you for the info, I will look her up! I was just going to get the Hawks ones but stumbled on those and thought they might look cool, or different. But I'm also thinking I should keep it original too.

zman1969 01-11-2019 08:59 AM

I was looking around and found Classic Industries had alot of repro interiors I don't know the quality but may be worth looking into and with the discount codes the offer a plus- save some $$

Abubaca 01-12-2019 03:33 PM

Speaking only for the 89 Camaro (but probably most all thirdgens) the Classic Industries kits are pretty low quality materials. Don't get me wrong if your interior is trashed, they're a great, cost effective way to make it looking nice again. -but definitely not high quality OEM materials. I'm currently using one of those upholstery kits and the car looks nice, but don't mistake it for a professional, OEM look and feel. ...I'm currently talking with Lethal Interiors about redoing mine.

Aaron R. 01-21-2019 12:12 PM

I bought a set of front and rear vinyl seat upholstery for my 1985 Camaro from Classic Industries years ago. I installed them myself and it wasn't too difficult. They fit and look great and have held up very well for 7 or 8 years now, still looking like new and I drive the car several times per week.

sshoureas 01-23-2019 04:17 PM

I had Princess at Lethal do my 1987 IROC covers and installed them about two months ago and love them. Her work is second to none. I posted pics in the "interior" forum several weeks ago if you want to see an example of her work in recreating stock seat covers. The material is available at SMS in Oregon though not necessarily cheap but worth it in the long run to get it absolutely right

88IROCvertZ 01-23-2019 04:35 PM

Princess at Lethal is the way to go.. especially if you want factory original seats.. She can get the exact OEM fabrics and colors for leather.. If you want custom, they do nice custom work too..

Abubaca 01-24-2019 07:03 PM

Princess at Lethal is the way to go.. especially if you want factory original seats.. She can get the exact OEM fabrics and colors for leather.. If you want custom, they do nice custom work too..
...it's the tweed inserts on the 88-91? -Maybe 92? That's what is so hard to get. I'm sitting here looking at samples right now from Princess! .....but.....I may go with something slightly different.

88IROCvertZ 01-24-2019 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Abubaca (Post 6277039)
...it's the tweed inserts on the 88-91? -Maybe 92? That's what is so hard to get. I'm sitting here looking at samples right now from Princess! .....but.....I may go with something slightly different.

She had told me before she can get the exact original fabric that these cars would have had from the factory.. It’s not cheap but she can get it and do OEM seat covers. I’m not sure if the suppliers have every color combo still, but it’s definitely worth checking out..

Abubaca 01-24-2019 08:19 PM

Yes, I'm sorry, I didn't communicate my thought properly. The tweed IS what is so hard to come by, and that IS the material she gets. Exact NOS. It's significantly more expensive than even the leather. I currently have samples of the beechwood color, which is a woven combo of the light and dark tan. My question marks around the years were in reference to what years used that tweed. I know they started in 88. ....I know 89 and 90 had it. Not sure about 91/92.

....but all that being said, I've always liked close, but not quite stock, and have several other materials I'm looking at for those inserts.

Abubaca 01-24-2019 08:22 PM

Just did a quick search. It appears that specific tweed (in various colors) was available from 88-92.

88IROCvertZ 01-24-2019 09:36 PM

I think it was 88-92.. sorry I should read more carefully.. I wasn’t sure about 91-92 either because everyone I knew that had those years back in the day had leather and I was jealous of it!