Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   LTX and LSX (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-lsx/)
-   -   LS1 Spohn K-Member: What's the fix for wheels not centered in the wells? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-lsx/625965-ls1-spohn-k-member.html)

3.1EyeCandy 08-28-2011 08:59 AM

LS1 Spohn K-Member: What's the fix for wheels not centered in the wells?

Got my GTA back on its wheels yesterday for the first time in over a year. Swapped the stock K-Member for a Spohn unit with their A-arms as well. Additionally used their frontend steering rebuild kit. So basically everything under there is Spohn and new. The car is now lowered as well.

I'd read before about people having wheel centering issues in the wells with these K-Members, but don't remember (and can't find via search) what the remedy was. I know the car needs an allignment, but it doesn't make sense to me that an allignment would fix the wheel being off-center in the wells.

I'll attach a couple pics for reference. The wheel was definitely getting bound against the wheel well as we manually turned it to get it moved in the driveway.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-p...2019.56.13.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-o...2019.55.46.jpg

And a parting shot. Despite not being able to drive the car for the better part of 3 years, I still think it looks nice.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-3...2019.56.44.jpg

3.1EyeCandy 08-28-2011 09:23 AM

Re: LS1 Spohn K-Member: What's the fix for wheels not centered in the wells?

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/susp...now-tires.html isn't very promising. I'm hoping for some kind of solution you guys have used that doesn't involve ripping the K-Member/A-Arms out and replacing them with a different manufacturer's version.

BlueZee28 08-28-2011 09:58 AM

Mine are centered in the wheel wells but I'm using factory a-arms.

Are your a-arms adjustable? Maybe it's an issue with their non-adjustable ones?

Mkos1980 08-28-2011 09:59 AM

I had same issues. Sold them and went with UMI's and now they are centered. Its the A arms. There is no fix without changing the arms.

Pocket 08-28-2011 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mkos1980 (Post 5022961)
I had same issues. Sold them and went with UMI's and now they are centered. Its the A arms. There is no fix without changing the arms.

No fix for a bad jig

Ive got the K-member with stock A-arms, and while Im not a big fan of the design, I dont have wheel off-center issues

BlueZee28 08-28-2011 01:57 PM

Will anyone else's arms work with the Spohn k member?

Pocket 08-28-2011 02:01 PM

Any that fit a stock K-member

3.1EyeCandy 08-28-2011 03:14 PM

That's better than changing the k-member I guess... although it's halfway there. I'm seriously thinking about getting the Racecraft a-arms.

What I don't want to get myself into is a situation where it's going to take a thorough understanding of suspension geometry (and several hundred $ more in different parts...from Spohn) to get it driveable. I must be lazy, I know... thanks you guys for the help on this one.

3.1EyeCandy 08-28-2011 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by BlueZee28 (Post 5022960)
Mine are centered in the wheel wells but I'm using factory a-arms.

Are your a-arms adjustable? Maybe it's an issue with their non-adjustable ones?

They're not adjustable. To tell the truth, the idea of having them adjustable may be appealing for the hardcore track guys who like to tune their setups - but is overkill for somebody like me who just wants it to turn like stock. I'd hate to have to find somebody around here trustworthy that could get everything adjusted where it needs to be...

jamieschott 08-28-2011 04:22 PM

I read on BMRs site that theirs are side specific. Not trying to insult your intelligence, but are the Spohn's the same way and are they installed on the correct side?

Pocket 08-28-2011 04:52 PM

If he had them on reversed, they would be several inches off center instead of the 3/4-1" he has now

BlueZee28 08-28-2011 05:03 PM

I honestly can't even tell in the pictures that they're not centered.

3.1EyeCandy 08-28-2011 05:27 PM

Each side is off center toward the cabin. One wheel is a little worse than the other.

08-28-2011 07:24 PM

I've noticed that with stock Ks and arms, the more you lower it, the farther back the wheels look.
So, as an experiment, try putting a small jack under the center of the K, and raising it an inch, then see if either side looks centered.
This is free, and only takes 5 minutes, so why not?

88 350 tpi formula 08-28-2011 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by ronnjonn (Post 5023437)
I've noticed that with stock Ks and arms, the more you lower it, the farther back the wheels look.
So, as an experiment, try putting a small jack under the center of the K, and raising it an inch, then see if either side looks centered.
This is free, and only takes 5 minutes, so why not?

so are you thinking caster is messed up?

poopman 09-05-2011 06:22 PM

did you figure out how you are going to fix it?

camarotucker 09-05-2011 08:40 PM

You could move the wheel well opening (section it) in order to have it centered (and gfx). It still would not change the fact that they have been moved from stock location. However, it is a solution, just not really feasable and probably not the one you were looking for.

3.1EyeCandy 09-06-2011 08:51 PM

LOL. I don't think I'll be moving the wheel well opening. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I've got a set of UMI's newly redesigned A-Arms on order. Hopefully I'll have time to work on them this year :) I'll report back how well it goes.

poopman 09-07-2011 06:50 PM

i have the same problem also, ordered some umi a-arms hopefully it fixesit