Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   LTX and LSX (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-lsx/)
-   -   Who can do an LS swap that does quality work (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-lsx/750273-who-can-do-ls.html)

John Cunningham 01-09-2018 10:47 PM

Who can do an LS swap that does quality work

I just purchased a 91 third gen camaro with a v6 auto..30k miles

I will buy a turn key LS engine from somebody and want it installed so it looks factory.no K member swap etc.

Who would you guys recommend to complete this swap?
I have done several swaps over the years that are very involved but I do not have the time now. Its better to hire somebody that has done several of them to avoid mistakes and time.

Thanks

Twin_Turbo 01-10-2018 02:56 AM

Re: Who can do an LS swap that does quality work

Container ship to me. It'll get done :D

scooter 01-10-2018 07:20 AM

You may want to post a general location

John Cunningham 01-10-2018 08:17 AM

I will get the car where it needs to go.....I prefer south to south east.......California & Alaska/Hawaii wont work:)

ShiftyCapone 01-10-2018 09:54 AM

Hawks 3rd gen performance does exactly this. They are in south Carolina. Although there are certainly shops out there can can do it Hawks does these all the time and knows exactly what do do.

John Cunningham 01-10-2018 10:20 AM

Thanks.......I have seen their Ads....was wondering if they are the only one

johnw999 01-11-2018 03:52 PM

Hawks 3rd Gen is what you want. For the same reasons you stated, I had someone install my ls engine. It still was a very lengthy process for me, though. I did lots of research to make sure I chose the right engine and transmission combo. Then I had to make sure all the components worked well with each other (the engine mounts, hydraulic clutch, exhaust, accessory drive, fuel pump, etc). Then there is the electrical wiring and gauges. Hawks knows what works, and they can integrate the new ECM into the C100 wiring.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...1-engine-swap/

John Cunningham 01-11-2018 04:18 PM

I have done some very very complicated swaps..been featured in hot rod...Had 2 cars on their 2005 HR calendar....so I am familiar with some of the ins and outs....I dont like the ecm wiring issues and therefore experience is needed.
Thanks for your reply.......so its two votes for Hawks.look like nobody else gives a flip about third gen cars. What did you end up spending on labor? What engine combo did you end up with? Used or new engine?

cobb 01-11-2018 04:49 PM

I would like to know what it costs also to just have everything work turn key.

johnw999 01-11-2018 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by John Cunningham (Post 6194246)
I have done some very very complicated swaps..been featured in hot rod...Had 2 cars on their 2005 HR calendar....so I am familiar with some of the ins and outs....I dont like the ecm wiring issues and therefore experience is needed.
Thanks for your reply.......so its two votes for Hawks.look like nobody else gives a flip about third gen cars. What did you end up spending on labor? What engine combo did you end up with? Used or new engine?

I used Protree Racing in Garland TX. The owner, Daniel, did good work. The final install was just over $6k. I supplied all the parts, and I worked out all the integration issues with the clutch, C100 / fuse box, electric gas pedal mounting, mechanical speedometer, and HVAC. I actually used parts from Hawks to mount the pedal and connect the new A/C compressor. Prior to the main install, I used Protree to install a 4th gen plastic gas tank and modify my engine. I don’t remember what I paid for that.

johnw999 01-11-2018 08:32 PM

I don’t regret my engine, but I should have done more research. Someone put a 427 in a new 2012 Chevy Avalanche, and they then sold the Avalanche stock engine on eBay. It was a new aluminum 5.3L engine, and I could resist. But... all accessories were removed from the engine. It had a 58x reluctor (more precise timing but not so hot rod friendly). The engine also had the cylinder deactivation and variable timing cam. Non of that is good for hot rodding, so I eventually had Protree install VVT and DOD deletion kits. Whoops. My stock 5 speed transmission was too weak for the LS engine. So I bought a used 6 speed T56 from Craigslist. Those can be hard to find for a good price. This had the right price, but again, I should have done more research. It was a T56 for an LT1 engine. It was from a 1996 Trans Am, I think. So, I ended up taking it to Texas Drivetrain Performance to convert it to an LS style T56. I also did their stage II upgrade.

QwkTrip 01-11-2018 09:29 PM

Hawks Motorsports specializes in LS swaps into 3rd gen F-body. They charge plenty of money but do good work and won't burn up your money trying to learn your car.

scooter 01-12-2018 08:15 AM

nobody else gives a flip about third gen cars.

DSE will build you a car, the 3rd gen they just built is gorgeous

Pocket 01-19-2018 11:09 AM

I can handle it. Should have an opening mid spring

Read through some of my previous builds to see what I do