Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   LTX and LSX (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-lsx/)
-   -   Motor mounts used with your 5.3l (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-lsx/758259-motor-mounts-used-your.html)

jking78 01-03-2019 10:55 PM

Motor mounts used with your 5.3l

Bout ready to install my cammed 5.3 4l60e and can't figure out what motor mount to use I'm using and ls1 oil pan. What's yours pro and cons with Umi, Hawk, and bmr motor mounts

ShiftyCapone 01-04-2019 12:47 PM

Re: Motor mounts used with your 5.3l

Originally Posted by jking78 (Post 6272176)
Bout ready to install my cammed 5.3 4l60e and can't figure out what motor mount to use I'm using and ls1 oil pan. What's yours pro and cons with Umi, Hawk, and bmr motor mounts

What trans cross member do you intend to run? I ask because there isn't much difference in the mounts when you compare brands. However, I recommend that you'll want to use a cross member made by the same brand to help with final engine placement. They are typically designed as a set and mix matching could cause you issues. Holley for instance, sets the engine 1/2" off from the others and thus their cross member is recommended. Additionally, some of the cross members are better suited for certain exhaust set-ups.

jking78 01-04-2019 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by ShiftyCapone (Post 6272275)
What trans cross member do you intend to run? I ask because there isn't much difference in the mounts when you compare brands. However, I recommend that you'll want to use a cross member made by the same brand to help with final engine placement. They are typically designed as a set and mix matching could cause you issues. Holley for instance, sets the engine 1/2" off from the others and thus their cross member is recommended. Additionally, some of the cross members are better suited for certain exhaust set-ups.

I was planning on using the stock cross member and stock K member and maybe some lsx innovation slider mounts but know what oil pan to use. I was also hoping to use 1 7/8 long tube headers. Really needed to know which was easier without breaking the bank

Billgluckman 01-05-2019 01:09 PM

I used cheap 1” set back adapter plates. Worked fine.

Youll have to modify the trans crossmember. The mount doesn’t land in the same spot

92BLKL98 01-11-2019 08:05 PM

I originally planned on the Hawks with the Jegster torque arm. but clearances did not work out. First of all the Hawks cross member is the most ill fitting part I have ever seen, the grinding and drilling I had to do to make it fit was crazy. The Jegster T/A was not going to work with the LPE 4" driveshaft I have with about 0.100" clearance with the torque arm attach fitting bolt. So I decided to bite the bullet and buy the Holley cross member and ya know it was a pleasure to fit it in the car it fit perfectly with no mods and with the Spohn engine stands and notched factory K member. Exhaust clearances look like they are going to be as good as with the Hawks cross member even though the Holley is much beefier. I will have to buy another torque arm that works with the Holley cross member and I can use the driveshaft I have.

dixiebandit69 01-11-2019 08:17 PM

I'm using the UMI adjustable mounts. I haven't quite got my transmission crossmember figured out yet, but I will be modifying the factory piece.
I'll be posting some pictures of the engine in the car soon.

punkmaster98 01-19-2019 08:54 PM

Ive always had good luck with stock sbc motor mounts and setback plates

jking78 01-26-2019 05:46 PM

I still looking for a ls1 oil pan but I did buy some solid mounts on the block side and waiting to order Umi frame mounts. I'll post pictures as soon as I get everything