Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   LTX and LSX (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-lsx/)
-   -   UMI K member + Hooker mount brackets and crossmember (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-lsx/788000-umi-k-member-hooker.html)

George Klass 02-29-2024 09:35 AM

UMI K member + Hooker mount brackets and crossmember

Hey everyone. Car is going to get swapped soon and I wanted to use the UMI 2401 K member.

6.0 with a 4L60E and using Blackheart mount brackets and crossmember.

Should be good to go?

Thanks!

ShiftyCapone 02-29-2024 10:57 AM

Re: UMI K member + Hooker mount brackets and crossmember

You are going to need a means to bolt the Holley brackets to the pad on that K-Member. Meaning, the UMI pad is designed to use either their SBC or LSX engine mounts whereas the Holley mounts are designed for the stock k-member bolt pattern. They do not place nice together. I'd run the UMI mounts, since it is designed with their K-member in mind. You can still use the blackheart crossmember even if engine mount positions aren't exactly identical between the two brands. The Holley mounts position the engine a half inch farther forward. While this is fine for the stock k-member, you'll have sump clearance issues with an LS f-body oil pan and the UMI tubular unit (assuming you are running this style pan).

George Klass 02-29-2024 12:24 PM

Hey @ShiftyCapone ,

Forgot to mention I'll be using the 302-2 pan.

I always thought the UMI k member was compatible with stock SBC brackets. Figured the holley ones would just bolt right on. I don't mind if I need to drill a hole or 2 lol.

I don't mind running the stock piece either but the UMI unit looks so good and the extra clearance always helps.

ShiftyCapone 02-29-2024 01:03 PM

The base K-member is sorta universal as they actually call it their small block platform. Their pads accept their LSX mounts #2409 or you can reuse your SBC mounts if you are not going LS. I tried to use OEM LS1 clamshell mounts and it was just too tight of a fit and I didn't like the way the engine sat. I went through a few combos before I just bought all the UMI stuff. The 302 pan will greatly help you when it comes down to clearance. I am running an F-body pan with their road race k-member and there is barely any clearance to the sump of my pan. The sump is around 2" shorter on the 302 pan.

George Klass 02-29-2024 01:48 PM

@ShiftyCapone Then I think I'll probably just stay with the stock K member. The rest of the car is pretty much the UMI catalogue for thirdgens haha.

ShiftyCapone 02-29-2024 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by George Klass (Post 6525920)
@ShiftyCapone Then I think I'll probably just stay with the stock K member. The rest of the car is pretty much the UMI catalogue for thirdgens haha.

I think this is the way to go. If I had to do it all over again I probably would have stay with the stock k-member a well. Would have been less headache.

Neil350 03-01-2024 11:14 AM

I run that exact set up, but with an fbody pan. All works fine. UMI K with their mounts, Holley motor mounts. Holley trans mount.

George Klass 03-01-2024 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Neil350 (Post 6525971)
I run that exact set up, but with an fbody pan. All works fine. UMI K with their mounts, Holley motor mounts. Holley trans mount.

Hey! UMI mount brackets with holley clamshell and poly mounts?

Neil350 03-01-2024 01:40 PM

Thats right George, UMI LS motor mounts that come with their K, Holley 98-02 mounts with the Polly inserts, ARP bolts to the motor.