Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Members Camaros (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/members-camaros/)
-   -   3 year project coming close (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/members-camaros/688665-3-year-project-coming.html)

Joe Tag 09-09-2013 07:24 PM

3 year project coming close

2 Attachment(s)
It's been a long time coming. Much of the time was waiting for the money to become available to sink into it, but it consumed plenty of labor time as well. Some of you may have had your doubts as to whether I even had this mythical project going on. We finally got some paint laid on last night. Seven coats of Dupont Chromabase and three of Nasson clear. It was just a feeling of elation that started with a small grin when the compressor fired up, which slowly evolved into uncontrolable giggles. The color is a GM laser blue metallic. I figure I will be assmebling it for the next week or two, depending on how easily I can locate the parts and fasteners that had been removed and stored so long ago. I have had the car for nearly 15 years and it was saved from a junkyard. Had no drivetrain but was complete otherwise.
Attachment 343966
Attachment 343967
Parked it outside the shop today, which is a fairly high traffic area. My grin just got larger by the minute as nearly every other car had someone to rubberneck and/or have a comment. It will be cut and buffed before all is said and done, although it really has very little peel in it at all. Please dont preach the evils of "the triangle of death" I'm well aware. It's just something cheap to keep the carb covered up until I decide on my air cleaner system

FSTFBDY 09-09-2013 07:41 PM

Re: 3 year project coming close

looking great. I love a nice blue car.

Joe Tag 09-09-2013 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by FSTFBDY (Post 5634237)
looking great. I love a nice blue car.

Thanks, saw the color on a vette and I fell in love with it.

Lmancha96 09-09-2013 11:28 PM

Beautiful car man cant wait to see it all put together...

raynehr 09-10-2013 02:13 PM

Glad you are giving it a new life. Im not a fan of the blue, but glad to see its being done right!

whatever84 09-10-2013 04:13 PM

Looks great!!

Joe Tag 09-10-2013 04:41 PM

" Im not a fan of the blue"
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I dont care much for red or black, but if we all had the exact same tastes, the world would be a very boring place.

white1991rs 09-10-2013 04:46 PM

Looks very nice man, keep it up!

BADNBLK 09-10-2013 05:23 PM

What a nice color! Like a proud poppa you are :)

Joe Tag 09-10-2013 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by BADNBLK (Post 5634784)
What a nice color! Like a proud poppa you are :)

Pregnancy only lasts nine months, and costs less. Less blood sweat and tears too:lmao:
The wife an daughter are jealous of my obsession with this car and the ammount of time it has taken away from being with them.
Woke up today with my ankle swollen from all the time on the concrete floor the past few days. Couldn't walk for a few hours. I didn't get a lot done. The new windshield is in, hatch, blacked out the cowl area, painted door handles and some of the trim.

Tibo 10-12-2013 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Tag (Post 5634816)
Pregnancy only lasts nine months, and costs less. Less blood sweat and tears too:lmao:
The wife an daughter are jealous of my obsession with this car and the ammount of time it has taken away from being with them.
Woke up today with my ankle swollen from all the time on the concrete floor the past few days. Couldn't walk for a few hours. I didn't get a lot done. The new windshield is in, hatch, blacked out the cowl area, painted door handles and some of the trim.

How much do they weigh without the hatch, windshield, doors or engine?

Ron U.S.M.C. 10-13-2013 08:58 PM

I think you picked a nice shade of blue.
I bought a fire extinguisher and mounted it in the cock pit within reach. Triangle of death or not an extinguisher is IMO mandatory especially when you have "blood sweat and tears” invested in the car and lets not forget the money.

jharrison5 10-13-2013 11:44 PM

That color reminds me of the Indigo Blue Metallic Blazer I used to have. I always loved that deep blue....

Joe Tag 12-07-2013 06:39 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Progress has been slow to non existent after a few setbacks. ( I won't even go into it) Was heartbreaking to see early snow here, but I owe an update at least. Pretty much just the hood and rear bumper left for my guy to get finished, but to say he's been dragging his feet is an understatement. This is why I do everything I can myself. When you depend on other people, you, well..... have to depend on THEM. :gocrazy:Taken on an overcast day with a poor resolution phone but you get where it is at this point. Old marker lights were so bad I won't even put them on until I get some replacements. Looking like it will be a four year project before it's all said and done. Hard to keep a positive attitude about it.
Attachment 341350

Attachment 341351
http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5fb479af.jpg
Attachment 341352

Johnny Blaze 12-21-2013 09:00 AM

Love the Blue!

Joe Tag 12-21-2013 09:09 AM

Thank you, she was quite the ugly pig before I dug into her. I am pleased with the results, just the time frame is killing me. Haven't put one mile on the crate engine yet. Just about 100 yds down the road and back. I have an itch I need scratched. Have to suffer till spring.

Johnny Blaze 12-21-2013 09:17 AM

I feel ya, mine has been apart for about 6 years now.
Hoping to drive it come spring as well.

Joe Tag 12-21-2013 09:25 AM

Wow, I hope you were better organized than me with your parts. I still have them in my garage,man cave, bedroom (wife loves that), and the shop it's in. Had the grill insert sitting on my dresser taunting me until a few weeks ago. It's a lesson in patience for sure. Wishing you a speedy end to your much longer wait.

Johnny Blaze 12-21-2013 09:30 AM

Bad thing is I have a55 chevy all apart I'm workin on to, and my 71 camaro, but I'm trying not to work on it too.

The iroc and the 55 should both be done by summer.

Joe Tag 12-21-2013 10:07 AM

I don't even want to think about the costs involved with a car that was antique when third gens were rolling off the assembly line. You may have too much on your plate already. Don't tear into the 71.Which by the way I love the old split bumper cars. Have any pics?

Barlow8869 12-21-2013 10:18 AM

love it joe, nice work

Johnny Blaze 12-21-2013 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Joe Tag (Post 5685087)
I don't even want to think about the costs involved with a car that was antique when third gens were rolling off the assembly line. You may have too much on your plate already. Don't tear into the 71.Which by the way I love the old split bumper cars. Have any pics?

Yeah, check out my build thread for pics of all three cars.

83Z28/L69 12-22-2013 01:32 AM

I really love that blue! I think you are building a very nice 3G. Any pics of it at the beginning?

Joe Tag 12-22-2013 10:03 AM

Thanks Barlow and 83Z. Had the car 15 years, and I don't even have a before pic she photobombed that I can find. These are the day I towed it to the shop. You can see my attempt at fixing what was the only body damage in the car in the first. I couldn't do a good enough job to please myself, so she went to someone with some skills. Plus I needed some patch panels welded in the quarters where the GFX were, and the battery tray.
http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/...psaa2bc93f.jpg
http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/...psb3bcba16.jpg

Tuned Performance 12-22-2013 10:12 AM

Looking real good joe! I love that color :)

beths91camaro 12-22-2013 10:14 AM

It's good to see it coming together for ya. Can't wait to see your finished project. :) Love the blue- I've always been a fan of them.

Joe Tag 12-22-2013 10:26 AM

Thanks Brian and Beth. Below is the link to my bucket. The album has more detailed pics along the way. There's some pretty awesome catches in the "fish" album for any anglers out there interested.

http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/jo3tag/library/

IROC315 12-25-2013 12:01 AM

Looks great Joe! You really bought those old Irocs I sold you back to life. Love the color.

Joe Tag 12-25-2013 10:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Jerry. You can see I rethought the gold on the wheels. Looked good in my mind, not so much on the car. Stripped and repainted them again since you last saw them. Merry Christmas bud.
Attachment 340918

IROC315 12-25-2013 11:41 AM

I like both but I am glad you went with black. Matches the color really well.

Merry Christmas

Speed32 12-26-2013 02:43 AM

Looking for a nice dark charcoal gray for my z28
Anyone know of any thanks!

hillntx 02-07-2014 11:50 PM

What is the paint code for that color?

Joe Tag 04-07-2014 07:12 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Sorry for the delay Hill, paint code is 21/wa218m, GM Laser Blue metallic. Not sure how I missed that post.
Well, I brought her home 2 weeks ago. Spent a lot of time cleaning her up. A year in a body shop made a mess out of almost everything. Clayed the whole body to get the overspray off. Tore out all the vents and panels in the interior to get the settled dust out of everything so I don't get sandblasted when I use the HVAC system. I have a hood, but not the one I planned on using, still getting jerked around by the body shop. Fortunately, with all the hoods I had to go through I had one that was presentable for a temporary. Still need the badges for both bumpers, mine are too grungy to bother putting on.Got the car registered, took it out and shook it down. No major mishaps. Had the brake adjuster lever spring come loose and start rubbing the drum, brand new shifter cable broke after 200 miles.....WTF? Other than that, she has been well behaved. Got caught out in a small rain, as much as I was trying to avoid it. She's wet and dirty but here's a few pics.
Attachment 337358
Attachment 337359
Attachment 337360
Attachment 337361

Joe Tag 04-08-2014 07:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A few shots of the interior.
Attachment 337331
Attachment 337332

DynoDave43 04-08-2014 07:29 PM

I always LOVED the high back buckets of the "base" interior in my '91. I would not have traded them for the uplevel trim for anything.

Joe Tag 04-08-2014 07:41 PM

The car had the upgraded seats when I got it. They were trashed. There's a set in black that looks mint near me for $100. I don't believe I would put it back. Same reason, I like the integrated headrests. Thinking 4th gen, much better support and bolsters on them.

Zane M 04-11-2014 07:37 AM

The car turned out great!

IROC315 04-11-2014 08:39 AM

Looks great ! I can't believe how great that blue looks . I just bought a 92 z28 the other day. It turned out having a bent frame. So my Iroc is finally getting the parts it needs. Looks like you're complete but if you need any odd parts let me know.

Joe Tag 04-11-2014 07:11 PM

Thank you Zane and Jerry.
I still have a few small parts I need and may be heading to Huntington in the next week or two. I'll shoot you a text when and if I get ready to head that way.

bigdavesiroc 05-11-2014 10:44 AM

Absolutely Love the Blue!!! looks awesome..