Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Members Camaros (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/members-camaros/)
-   -   New addition - 89’ Iroc 350 (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/members-camaros/760441-new-addition-89-iroc.html)

RKeats 04-15-2019 10:24 AM

New addition - 89’ Iroc 350

Thought you fellas might be interested in my recent pick up. It’s an 89’ 350 Iroc Hardtop with 137xxxkm (Canadian). It’s a total “garage find”, hence the filth. It’s a 2 owner car that’s almost completely rust free, and totally unmodified in any way that I can see. Apparently the trans is shot but I haven’t tried to drive it so we’ll see. Paint is original and seems to be in excellent condition under the dirt, and underneath is very clean. Interior is in fantastic shape too minus a sagging headliner and a broken horn button. I haven’t dragged it home yet but immediate plans are to replace all the fluids and after a full check over, see if she’ll run as it should. Tomorrow once I have it out, I’ll take more pics and update everyone as I go.

[img]blob:https://www.thirdgen.org/428f79fb-0158-43fd-8a5d-e5f5127de5eb[/img][img]blob:https://www.thirdgen.org/947e0cc7-c975-4c16-ae0e-afc48eb542aa[/img][img]blob:https://www.thirdgen.org/f04830a4-d8a8-4abd-bc95-c73da569ad95[/img]

RKeats 04-15-2019 10:29 AM

Re: New addition - 89’ Iroc 350

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...6143715884.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...c71aae3179.png
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...63af160c50.png
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...6dc065903e.png
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...72ea274842.png

RKeats 04-15-2019 10:41 AM

On the assumption that this thing needs a full suspension overhaul, what parts do you guys recommend? I'm looking for a basic stock ride, no upgrades or anything for now. I see enough suggestions in other forums, but most of which are upgrades. I'm literally after cost and purpose, that's it for now.

WildCard600 04-15-2019 11:09 AM

Nice find !

chazman 04-15-2019 11:27 AM

Congrats! Nice find!

RKeats 04-15-2019 11:31 AM

Thanks guys. I've always wanted an Iroc in the collection but finding anything decent around me is damn near impossible, so I'm pretty excited to dive in to this thing

Tootie Pang 04-15-2019 11:33 AM

Looks GREAT! For the ride, I used KYB Excel-G's but I think they are too soft. I've heard Koni yellows are good, Bilstein is probably a good replacement but I have heard nothing. I am thining about upgrading to the KYB Gas Adjusts as my Excel-G's are too soft for the stock springs.

85@IRocZ 04-15-2019 11:38 AM

[QUOTE=RKeats;6295429]On the assumption that this thing needs a full suspension overhaul, what parts do you guys recommend? I'm looking for a basic stock ride, no upgrades or anything for now. I see enough suggestions in other forums, but most of which are upgrades. I'm literally after cost and purpose, that's it for now.[/QUOTE ] nice find!seems like everytime i get a thirdgen that was stored in a barn i end up tearing the complete interior and dash out of the car because of mice issues hopefully u won't have that problem with ur iroc lol. i like kyb struts and shocks and moog suspension parts.

RKeats 04-15-2019 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Tootie Pang (Post 6295464)
Looks GREAT! For the ride, I used KYB Excel-G's but I think they are too soft. I've heard Koni yellows are good, Bilstein is probably a good replacement but I have heard nothing. I am thining about upgrading to the KYB Gas Adjusts as my Excel-G's are too soft for the stock springs.

Thanks man! The KYB's seem to be good for the money. The koni's and Bilstein's are quite a bit more and I think performance wise, they're a bit more than I need right now. Just trying to get the car to a solid daily driver status without blowing the budget. I still have my GTA that likes to eat up my paychecks for breakfast. In terms of tie rods and ball joints and stuff, I've heard a lot of mixed reviews regarding fitment on our cars with the Moog and Delco stuff. Do you have any experience with either?

RKeats 04-15-2019 11:44 AM

[QUOTE=85@IRocZ;6295469]

Originally Posted by RKeats (Post 6295429)
On the assumption that this thing needs a full suspension overhaul, what parts do you guys recommend? I'm looking for a basic stock ride, no upgrades or anything for now. I see enough suggestions in other forums, but most of which are upgrades. I'm literally after cost and purpose, that's it for now.[/QUOTE ] nice find!seems like everytime i get a thirdgen that was stored in a barn i end up tearing the complete interior and dash out of the car because of mice issues hopefully u won't have that problem with ur iroc lol. i like kyb struts and shocks and moog suspension parts.

I looked pretty closely for any signs of those little 4 legged bastards but didn't see anything, so I'm hoping we're in the clear. You've never had any issues with Moog fitment?

gt4373 04-15-2019 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by RKeats (Post 6295472)
Thanks man! , I've heard a lot of mixed reviews regarding fitment on our cars with the Moog and Delco stuff. Do you have any experience with either?

The ACDelco Parts Are The Same Parts You Would Get If You Bought Them From Your Local GM Dealer,So There Should Be No Problem With Fitment.

dagwood 04-15-2019 12:37 PM

Awesome! I absolutely love the black and gold ones!

Reddragon88gta 04-15-2019 01:09 PM

Nice find, love the color combo and it’s a l98. Also I went with the kyb excel g all around on my GTA and they ride pretty good, much improved over the worn out factory parts. Also replaced strut mounts with kyb. Set up is good for summer daily driver duty.

mikeceli 04-15-2019 02:39 PM

I'm not familiar w/ KYB Excel G, but I put KYB "Gas-A-Justs" on my friends 73 Corvette and the rear of my 1988 Lincoln Mark VII LSC. They were much too stiff and we both took them off. I got a warranty exchange, from KYB to the KYB GR2's , which are nice. In fact, I put 100,000 miles on them(on the Lincoln) and KYB authorized a lifetime warranty exchange, for new GR2's ! . (Said warranty has since been downgraded, somewhat)

On my 1979 Trans Am SE ("Bandit) I put 4 Monroe Reflex shocks, I am very pleased w/ them, firm enough, but comfortable on our pot-holed roads.

My favorite shocks, of the hundreds I have sold and had had installed, Edlebrock IAS (Inertia Active Suspension) are discontinued. They are the ONLY non-electronic shock capable of determining the difference between a ROAD INPUT (bump, pothole) and a body input (weight transfer on turns or braking) . I have them on 1 of my 2, 1996 Impala SS's and my 2000 Ford Excursion 4x4 diesel SUV. Complient on impact, firm on weight transfer. Too bad they are gone.

I was a "Stocking Dealer" for Moog for about 9 years. Excellent quality and proper fit! My first choice. IMO, DON"T be sold on Poly-Whatever control arm bushings, nothing but problems. They are fine for Anti_Sway Bar END LINKS, however. (unless you want old school, Cadillac/Lincoln experience).

85@IRocZ 04-15-2019 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by RKeats (Post 6295472)
Thanks man! The KYB's seem to be good for the money. The koni's and Bilstein's are quite a bit more and I think performance wise, they're a bit more than I need right now. Just trying to get the car to a solid daily driver status without blowing the budget. I still have my GTA that likes to eat up my paychecks for breakfast. In terms of tie rods and ball joints and stuff, I've heard a lot of mixed reviews regarding fitment on our cars with the Moog and Delco stuff. Do you have any experience with either?

i got a couple projects that r doing the same to me right now so i can relate with u on that lol and i have used moog and not had any problems.

RKeats 04-16-2019 08:33 AM

Scored a set of almost new Firestone street tires for $80 last night from a guy who took them off his Iroc. Tread is at least 80%, and they don't even have any cracking. Win. Car is going to be pulled out of it's nest tonight and brought to my work so I can get started on getting it cleaned up and running. I'll post up pics as soon as I can

RKeats 04-16-2019 08:37 AM

For the transmission experts, the previous owner said that he parked the car originally because the transmission wouldn't shift past second. I haven't driven it obviously so I can't confirm that, but if that is the case, any ideas as to what the issue could be? I've been trying to find another trans to put in it, but if it doesn't need a full rebuild then I'd much rather keep the original

88IROCvertZ 04-16-2019 08:53 AM

Cool car.. awesome color combo..

good luck with it!

Too bad about the transmission, but it probably wouldn’t need a full rebuild. A transmission shop would probably charge pretty close to what a used one would go for though..

For suspension and front end from what I’ve heard you can get performance upgrades pretty cheap for these cars, but I hear you about trying not to put too much into the car just to get it road worthy for now..

Look forward to seeing more of it!

RKeats 04-16-2019 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by 88IROCvertZ (Post 6295675)
Cool car.. awesome color combo..

good luck with it!

Too bad about the transmission, but it probably wouldn’t need a full rebuild. A transmission shop would probably charge pretty close to what a used one would go for though..

For suspension and front end from what I’ve heard you can get performance upgrades pretty cheap for these cars, but I hear you about trying not to put too much into the car just to get it road worthy for now..

Look forward to seeing more of it!

Thanks! This colour combo has always been my favourite for Camaro's, so it's fluke that this one happens to have it. As for suspension, I'd love to go nuts with it, but I'm leaving that for the GTA. Who knows though, once I get the car out and running it may win my heart and become the #1

irvan 04-16-2019 04:18 PM

I think it's going to be pretty when you clean it up, hard to beat a black IROC.

SirReveller 04-16-2019 09:18 PM

Hey hey!! Congrats Man! Nice pickup- I hope to see it this summer.

dagwood 04-16-2019 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by RKeats (Post 6295673)
For the transmission experts, the previous owner said that he parked the car originally because the transmission wouldn't shift past second. I haven't driven it obviously so I can't confirm that, but if that is the case, any ideas as to what the issue could be? I've been trying to find another trans to put in it, but if it doesn't need a full rebuild then I'd much rather keep the original

Try adjusting the kick down cable. Ya never know... He said it wouldn't shift past second......he didnt say when it shifts to third it's like neutral, or slipping, etc.

RKeats 04-17-2019 08:47 AM

Hauled the car out last night and I have to say I'm pretty happy. There was a bra on the nose and underneath it looks like hell, so I'll need a nose. Otherwise I'm in love. The driver door closes as smoothly as it did when it came out of the factory!

Today's issue is that it cranks as it should, pump is working, and at the first crank the car will start instantly but immediately shut off, and only sputter for the next cranks. I'm at work and though the car's here, I don't have much time to mess with it. I'd like to pull any codes though, so can someone confirm that I can pull them the same way as my 91? With the paperclip trick?

RKeats 04-17-2019 08:55 AM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...652b82f087.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...a3ade8ddcf.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...09d0e4ef55.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...19b4e3a210.jpg

vinny R 04-17-2019 11:38 AM

[QUOTE=RKeats;6295938]Hauled the car out last night and I have to say I'm pretty happy. There was a bra on the nose and underneath it looks like hell, so I'll need a nose. Otherwise I'm in love. The driver door closes as smoothly as it did when it came out of the factory!

Today's issue is that it cranks as it should, pump is working, and at the first crank the car will start instantly but immediately shut off, and only sputter for the next cranks. I'm at work and though the car's here, I don't have much time to mess with it. I'd like to pull any codes though, so can someone confirm that I can pull them the same way as my 91? With the paperclip trick?[/QUOTE

I do think you can do the paper clip trick as the operations of the ECM should be the same. I think the engine trans combo is what make the difference in the ECMs. I would look into the injectors for this issue, the car has sat an awful long time and if ethanol fuel was used there is a better chance than not those injectors are clogged. It does not take long for this to happen.

For your suspension, I too have used KYB with great satisfaction. They have a few different models to fit any budget. I used the AGX series. I purchased AC Delco from rock auto for my front end parts with no fitment issue at all. I have great luck with moog also. I did just buy new trailing arms and panhard bar as those parts were not to much more than quality urethane bushings.

RKeats 04-17-2019 01:37 PM

[QUOTE=vinny R;6295970]

Originally Posted by RKeats (Post 6295938)
Hauled the car out last night and I have to say I'm pretty happy. There was a bra on the nose and underneath it looks like hell, so I'll need a nose. Otherwise I'm in love. The driver door closes as smoothly as it did when it came out of the factory!

Today's issue is that it cranks as it should, pump is working, and at the first crank the car will start instantly but immediately shut off, and only sputter for the next cranks. I'm at work and though the car's here, I don't have much time to mess with it. I'd like to pull any codes though, so can someone confirm that I can pull them the same way as my 91? With the paperclip trick?[/QUOTE

I do think you can do the paper clip trick as the operations of the ECM should be the same. I think the engine trans combo is what make the difference in the ECMs. I would look into the injectors for this issue, the car has sat an awful long time and if ethanol fuel was used there is a better chance than not those injectors are clogged. It does not take long for this to happen.

For your suspension, I too have used KYB with great satisfaction. They have a few different models to fit any budget. I used the AGX series. I purchased AC Delco from rock auto for my front end parts with no fitment issue at all. I have great luck with moog also. I did just buy new trailing arms and panhard bar as those parts were not to much more than quality urethane bushings.

Just got it to fire up a few minutes ago. Nothing quite like hearing a 350 come to life for the first time in years! Runs kind of like garbage though as I expected. I'm going to pull the codes as the CEL is on, and I suspect it has some vacuum leaks and dead sensors floating around.

RKeats 04-17-2019 02:48 PM

Pulled the codes and got 15 and 33. MAF and coolant temp sensor. Ordered a temp sensor, and have a spare MAF that I can try out in the car, and those 2 should resolve the rough idle. Got a set of Firestone's ready to go on the car, and the replacement transmission and cat back exhaust will be here Saturday morning. Moving along pretty nicely! Today's last task will be trying to re-attach the horn button.

RKeats 04-22-2019 07:59 AM

Replaced the MAF and temp sensor and now the car starts at the first flick of the key, and runs very well. I'm beyond happy. No weird noises, no manifold leaks, no fluid leaks. Still has a fair bit of the old gas in it, and the oil still needs to be changed, but those are going to be taken care of when the transmission and exhaust go in today. Including tires, rebuilt transmission, catback exhaust with 40 series muffler and tips, and of course the car, I'm only 2100 (1550USD) in to the car, so I think I'm in good shape :thumbsup:

RKeats 04-22-2019 08:39 AM

I'm picking up a nose from a 92 Z28. I know the GFX are different, but is the nose itself identical to the 85-89 ones in terms of mounting and shape? Do the 91-92 GFX have the same mounting holes, or will I need to drill new ones?

RKeats 04-24-2019 12:58 PM

I don't think anyone's following along here but hey at least it's a place for me to share my milestones. I'm still waiting for my shop to free up some time to get the trans and exhaust in my car, but today I at least got to move it around. I noticed the trans fluid level was pretty low so I topped it up to see what would happen. Sure enough the car goes in to first, but that seems to be about it. It'll go in to reverse and kinda roll backwards, but any flick of the gas is just a neutral. Gave me just enough sauce to drive it around the parking lot though and that was pretty cool! Brakes and everything feel surprisingly good, but we'll see what happens when the car can get up to road speed.

Reddragon88gta 04-24-2019 01:08 PM

Your making progress, keep up the good work. It’s always great when one of these cars gets put back on the road.

RKeats 04-24-2019 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Reddragon88gta (Post 6297433)
Your making progress, keep up the good work. It’s always great when one of these cars gets put back on the road.

Thank you! I think I'm more excited to wash it than I am to drive it haha. It looks like hell because it's been in the garage for so long. Doesn't help that the birds are hammering it in its current parking spot

irvan 04-24-2019 02:24 PM

i'm following along

DynoDave43 04-24-2019 06:29 PM

Me too. Don't always have a comment, but I'm following along.

chazman 04-24-2019 08:21 PM

Me three.....

RKeats 04-25-2019 08:27 AM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...b55ec9275a.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...02980bc1a3.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...63fecaa905.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...4bc6855060.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...964d9bc3bf.jpg

I'm glad you guys are following, because the car got its first wash in years and I need someone to share my excitement haha. My phone makes it look like the border stitching around the carpets is filthy and everything's a bit dirty, but it looks way better in person. There's a ton of pretty caked on dirt from sitting so long, and I didn't have a chance to tackle any of that. I also didn't polish or wax it or anything at all, just simple soap and water. Seeing it cleaned up really got a hold of my heart though, man I'm a big fan of this thing

RKeats 04-25-2019 08:28 AM

Also to have the car looking like this and now running strong, I definitely can't complain considering what I payed ;)

irvan 04-25-2019 08:39 AM

It looks great

RKeats 04-25-2019 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by irvan (Post 6297575)
It looks great

Thanks!

Once I pick up the new GFX for the front too it should really turn it around

dmccain 04-25-2019 09:04 AM

Glad to see this Gem getting back on the road! Very nice.

RKeats 04-29-2019 10:11 AM

Car's up on the hoist and the installation of everything is underway. Hopefully someone can help me with an issue though. I got a replacement transmission from an 89 350 GTA, which I assumed would be identical, however one has the electronic speedo set up. Both transmissions are 100% complete, so using parts from the original iroc one, do I have everything I need to covert the speedo on the GTA one?

RKeats 04-29-2019 10:12 AM

Also yes I've searched the previous threads regarding this, but I haven't seen any that give a definite answer. Some say yes for sure, some say no.

RKeats 05-03-2019 12:21 PM

Update time. Transmission's in and I took the car for a drive just down the road and back. Suspension feels surprisingly tight, brakes are good, shifts well, pulls hard, everything is better than I thought it would be. Instead of dropping the rear end to get the exhaust in, the shop is going to cut it and run it in from either side of the axle. Should be a pretty quick job. Cosmetically, I got a new grille insert, and i'm waiting for my replacement chin spoiler to be painted, and then the front end will look 10x better. The headliner is sagging but the backing is in good shape, so I'd like to take a swing at re-gluing it myself. The car will be on the road soon!

RKeats 05-06-2019 03:08 PM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...a07e201750.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...07acb4635c.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...25a533d5a5.jpg

Got the exhaust installed today. Magnaflow Muffler and tips, everything else is stock. Sounds pretty good. I don't think it'll be loud enough for me in the long run, but it certainly beats the ghetto cat-back cut off that it was rocking before! Now I'm just waiting for the shop to get a chance to get my tires installed, and we'll be on the road.

RKeats 05-06-2019 03:15 PM

Here's a breakdown of my costs so far. I think I'm in pretty good shape,

Car - 1500
Transmission / MAF / full exhaust - 500
4 Firestone tires (no rims) - 80
Coolant temp sensor - 25
Replacement grille insert - 20
Exhaust install - 80
Transmission install - ?? Probably about 1000. Took a good 6 hours to get the old one out and new one in after battling some rusty bolts and changing any gaskets. Not bad for being 2200 (CAD) in to the car :thumbsup:

As of right now, the car runs almost perfectly, freshly rebuilt trans shifts as it should, and we're free of any exhaust leaks.

RKeats 05-06-2019 03:21 PM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...c435b39223.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...b0165ec558.jpg

Here's a shot underneath. There's a bit of surface rust, but nowhere could I find anything that's even close to a hole. Looks pretty damn good for a 30yr old Canadian car that's never seen a spec of undercoat!

SirReveller 05-06-2019 04:50 PM

Hellz yah! Welcome to the Howitzers Club dude! Lol Looking great!
I am so looking forward to seeing this puppy IRL

RKeats 05-07-2019 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by SirReveller (Post 6300141)
Hellz yah! Welcome to the Howitzers Club dude! Lol Looking great!
I am so looking forward to seeing this puppy IRL

Thanks man! You're the first person I thought of when I made this thread haha. I'm one of those people who gets attached to cars very easily, even though I've had so many. This one's been loved its whole life, and so far it's been perfectly co-operative, so it's quickly earning that special spot in my heart. The person I bought it from texts me every few days asking about the progress, which I think is pretty cool. I told him he'll be the first stop when I take it on the true maiden voyage

SirReveller 05-07-2019 10:36 AM

Thanks man! Feel free to spin by Toronto for a cruise some weekend. I’d love to ride shotgun. With all of the classic cars appearing now I’m experiencing IROC withdrawal and cursing my overlong mod list (and late winter drop) lol

RKeats 05-07-2019 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by SirReveller (Post 6300281)
Thanks man! Feel free to spin by Toronto for a cruise some weekend. I’d love to ride shotgun. With all of the classic cars appearing now I’m experiencing IROC withdrawal and cursing my overlong mod list (and late winter drop) lol

There's a huge show every Saturday night in he CT at Queensway and Westmall that I always go to, plenty of third gens so you should come by! When will your car be done?