Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Mid-West Region (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/mid-west-region/)
-   -   St Louis/ Missouri/ Illinois crew. Any cheap machine shops in the area? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/mid-west-region/465880-st-louis-missouri-illinois.html)

BigBadJohn 03-16-2008 03:29 PM

St Louis/ Missouri/ Illinois crew. Any cheap machine shops in the area?

Im looking for a place to get cheap machining done on my 350 engine. I need it bored and the crank ground. Also need the pistons pressed on. Me and my uncle can hot tank and maybe hone ourselves to save money.

Anyone know any prices offhand?

rhit_rs 03-16-2008 05:41 PM

Re: St Louis/ Missouri/ Illinois crew. Any cheap machine shops in the area?

I recently had some machine work done for a pretty good price. The guy runs it out of his house (huge shed). For $150 he bored and honed, pressed pistons on, hot tanked the engine, and cleaned up (but didn't grind) the crank. He's just a little outside of Litchfield, IL. Phone is 618-604-8251, ask for Brad. Good prices on parts, too.

BigBadJohn 03-16-2008 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by rhit_rs (Post 3680215)
I recently had some machine work done for a pretty good price. The guy runs it out of his house (huge shed). For $150 he bored and honed, pressed pistons on, hot tanked the engine, and cleaned up (but didn't grind) the crank. He's just a little outside of Litchfield, IL. Phone is 618-604-8251, ask for Brad. Good prices on parts, too.

Wow. Thanks! Do you know if he grinds cranks or if he just polishes them? I need mine ground

rhit_rs 03-16-2008 11:51 PM

He grinds them, too. He's a great guy to work with...real chevy gear head. He does quite a few truck pulls.

ljnowell 03-17-2008 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by rhit_rs (Post 3680215)

Gee, I think i probably know this person. A lot of people set condiderable store by mullins race engines in mt olive IL. They just recently built a new race engine shop that is supposed to be filled with all new sunnen equipment. The use tq plates for honing and all of the modern stuff.
----------

Originally Posted by rhit_rs (Post 3680810)
He grinds them, too. He's a great guy to work with...real chevy gear head. He does quite a few truck pulls.

these are the guys that had the chevy with the blower? A couple of brothers, right?

rhit_rs 03-19-2008 01:13 AM

Yup, that's them!

Where are you from, Ijnowell?

Have you heard of PMS (Performance Motorsports Systems) in Greenville? They do real nice (but expensive) work. They built a stout 383 for my dad a while back.

TTOP350 03-23-2008 05:29 PM

just wait till you have Mullins put bigger valves an seats in your heads then the seats fall out .. they dont stand behind their work at all.

I think your thinking of Jeff Neimen anyway. super guy

rhit_rs 03-23-2008 06:09 PM

Yeah, Jeff and Brad Niemann are brothers. Hey Tony, how's your car doing? Have you seen much of Wag lately? My dad is abandoning his white corvette project (the one he dyno'd up at your shop) for the moment and is building a track day solstice for my mom.

TTOP350 03-23-2008 07:27 PM

Im fine,car is waiting. I'm still building my new car house.. 32x46x12.6 I'm a lil:crazy: :lmao:

I'll post here when I have my garage opening party.

A track day car will be tons of fun !!

ljnowell 03-23-2008 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by rhit_rs (Post 3683400)
Yup, that's them!

Where are you from, Ijnowell?

Have you heard of PMS (Performance Motorsports Systems) in Greenville? They do real nice (but expensive) work. They built a stout 383 for my dad a while back.

I'm from Litchfield. I used to work with the niemann brothers other brother, brian. They are pretty good guys, and they do awesome work. As for what I said about mullins, notice I said supposedly. I have never had machine work done there, ever.