Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Mid-West Region (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/mid-west-region/)
-   -   New Member, New project. Yadda yadda (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/mid-west-region/753144-new-member-new-project.html)

BigDogBob 05-13-2018 05:24 PM

New Member, New project. Yadda yadda

1 Attachment(s)
Anyway, I'm a new guy. Located in Omaha, NE. Picked up a nice(ish) 86 Trans Am today.

91k miles. Strong running 305. No major body rust or damage. She's old and needs paint and interior work done.

After I get all the cosmetic stuff done (sans paint) planning on building up a 383 and replacing the dog slow 305.

Have a pic! It's older than I am, but boy do I love this old school look and feel.

dmccain 05-13-2018 10:29 PM

Re: New Member, New project. Yadda yadda

Cool car! I like it.

DynoDave43 05-15-2018 08:45 PM

Welcome aboard BigDogBob. Look forward to following your progress with it.

88IROCvertZ 05-15-2018 09:09 PM

Nice looking project car! Can’t wait to see how it turns out!

Lots of potential with those..

red rock 05-15-2018 10:42 PM

Welcome to TGO! When you say, " the car is older than you are", do you know how that makes some of us old farts feel? Lol, enjoy your (money pit) er, project.

BovineZro 05-15-2018 11:23 PM

Looks like a solid start for a project car! I really like that hood style.

Auto or manual trans?

BigDogBob 05-16-2018 06:32 AM

Thanks for the Welcome guys!

It's an auto. I'm a stick shift guy, but kind of wanted to get a project the wife could drive every now and then. It'll be easier to build up a 700R4 to handle the power I want than to swap in a T-56 anyway :)

Got underneath it this week. There's some surface rust. Nothing's rotted through (thank your appropriate deity) but it looks like a POR 15 coating has now jumped to the top of the list.

"Money Pit" is an appropriate term for this one :)

BigDogBob 05-16-2018 06:33 AM

By the way - Where's the generally accepted place for project documentation on here? I've seen them in multiple areas and don't want to step on toes when I start mine full blown.

Jacobaxeman 05-16-2018 06:41 AM

Sweet ride, any ideas on what you wanna do with the 383 internally?

BigDogBob 05-16-2018 06:46 AM

Jacob -

Thinking about going with a full scat rotating assembly and some aluminum vortec heads from speedway.

Still haven't decided on a camshaft, or how I'm going to source the block. Part of me wants to pick one from the junkyard and save money, part of me wants to keep my hands cleaner.

Looking to build something up that'll put down 420ish horse normally and handle a modest shot of NOS. Should be attainable by a noob with books and cash right? :)

red rock 05-16-2018 09:29 AM

Summit racing and Jegs will be your friend. As for a cam, call Comp cams or any cam of your choice and physically talk to them, they will recommend an cam for what you want to build. Find a reputable engine builder in your area and talk to him about blocks. Do a lot of research before you settle on anything. Here is the list of forums; https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-boards/ You could probably use the auto detailing forum.

BigDogBob 05-16-2018 09:37 AM

"You could probably use the auto detailing forum"

That's the understatement of the year :lmao:

Pretty sure the clear is too far gone to restore, I might give it a pass or two with a polishing wheel to make sure.

red rock 05-16-2018 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by BigDogBob (Post 6222533)
"You could probably use the auto detailing forum"

That's the understatement of the year :lmao:

Pretty sure the clear is too far gone to restore, I might give it a pass or two with a polishing wheel to make sure.

(Where's the generally accepted place for project documentation on here?) Or for the engine use the "Engine swap" forum.

BigDogBob 05-16-2018 07:18 PM

Boom. Member build thread started here

Tons more pictures on that one for those of you that are interested.