Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   North East Region (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/north-east-region/)
-   -   Emmisions in NY (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/north-east-region/295140-emmisions-ny.html)

violentgod1 05-02-2005 02:26 PM

Emmisions in NY

Hey just got a quick question that im not really sure of. I got a 92 rs 305 tbi and i was just wondering if i could get rid of all that air stuff on the stock headers and have it still be able to pass inspection. I just want to get rid of what i really dont need but i still wanna pass inspection. Thanks for any help

Inwo 05-03-2005 08:15 PM

Technically, no. The new standards are somewhat more strict although you might be able to sneak by if the circumstances are right ;)
Where in WNY are you?

violentgod1 05-03-2005 09:11 PM

in live in batavia right inbetween rochester and buffalo.

18inchboyds 05-04-2005 09:25 PM

only the 96 and newer cars are affected , they just have to hook into the obd2 and connect with albany and if it doensnt throw an error code its fine. I mean theirs a little more to it but i dont need to get into it . But if you knwo someone you could take it off. All their is in ny for 3rd gens is a visual.

violentgod1 05-04-2005 09:50 PM

so its pretty much just not worth it unless i know someone.

84305HO 05-06-2005 10:09 PM

Just looked up NYS emmissions testing in NYS on the internet and it states cars older than 25 years become "emmissions exempt". I am hoping that means visual also. That means in four years anything goes ! Anyone else what to comment....

gilly327 10-11-2013 11:26 AM

Re: Emmisions in NY

Originally Posted by 84305HO (Post 2326002)
Just looked up NYS emmissions testing in NYS on the internet and it states cars older than 25 years become "emmissions exempt". I am hoping that means visual also. That means in four years anything goes ! Anyone else what to comment....

26 yrs and older are safety inspection only

Hawkeye1980 03-09-2014 12:20 PM

Same here just safety inspection only
10 bucks. I have the dual cats were gutted long ago. Car runs fine after a 10 year resting period. I live near Poughkeepsie NY.

SmoothCustomer 03-09-2014 08:47 PM

I grew up in Rochester/went to school in Buffalo and all I can say is you should definitely be able to find someone in Batavia who will pass that. Try NYSpeed to see if anyone knows a guy. Heck I took my DSM into a Monro Muffler once (not exactly by choice) with most of the emissions stuff gone and they passed it without saying anything.

stealtht/a 03-19-2014 07:25 AM

Technically, you still need it to pass visual inspection, even 25+ year old. Your emissions laws basically the same as ours in vt. However, since they started doing emissions check by just plugging in to obd2 cars, most mechanics ignore emissions when inspecting older cars. Many will just look and see if you have a cat. If you do get one that says something, you can just go to another garage and it will prob pass.

Trueflight 04-14-2014 05:35 PM

Got my 89 inspected this year with just the Safety Inspection. Costs a lot less and there is no emissions test. Might have to wait a few more years for yours, but until it qualifies for just the safety inspection, it will not pass with those mods..