Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Northern California (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/northern-california/)
-   -   "Modified" car crackdown in Sacramento? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/northern-california/314368-modified-car-crackdown-sacramento.html)

urbanhunter44 08-09-2005 12:23 PM

"Modified" car crackdown in Sacramento?

Got this from fbody.com.

California Crackdown on Modified Cars
$5 million in federal money will fund a Sacramento, California effort to stop drivers in modified cars.

Police in Sacramento, California announced Wednesday that they would use $5 million in federal money to begin cracking down on auto enthusiasts who modify their vehicles. The money will be used to form an undercover "Drag-Net" unit to stop motorists who appear to be driving modified cars.

The concept, which originated in San Diego in 2001, has been spreading throughout the state and generated significant revenue for the California Highway Patrol and local departments. In Santa Fe Springs, for example, twelve officers on Drag-Net duty issued 300 citations and impounded 50 vehicles in just one weekend. Several cities have drag-racing ordinances that allow police to auction off seized cars and keep the profits.

Under Drag-Net, San Diego officers come to train other departments how to look out for what they believe to be tell-tale signs of illegal modification such as window tinting, large spoilers, extra gauges or racing stickers. ( sounds like its dedicated towrds **** though lol ) Police say this gives them probable cause to stop and inspect a vehicle and its engine compartment.

In practice, "excessive exaust noise" tickets are the most common violation. California law does not require police to measure sound levels objectively. Instead, according to the California Highway Patrol, the "citation is based on officer's judgment."

Drivers of stock vehicles that come from the factory with some of the characteristics of modified cars have experienced harassment under this provision. One such motorist complained on an enthusiast website that the Calfiornia Highway Patrol was using these programs to make "driving while Asian" a crime, pointing out that the department's own website has several pages dedicated to Asian involvement in street racing and "vehicle modification."

Those receiving a vehicle modification "fix-it" ticket must visit a California Bureau of Automobile Repair office and pay a $35 fee to have their car inspected. If the car fails, a judge can impose another fine of up to $2000 for failing to meet California emissions requirements.

Article Excerpt:

"We're looking to make a heavy impact on speeding and street racing in this area," Sacramento Police Deputy Chief Steve Segura said during a press conference with local and state officials on Del Paso Road in North Natomas.

Have you guys heard anything about this? :eek:

Here is the original link to the article:

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/05/576.asp

And here is the fbody.com thread:

http://www.fbody.com/cgi-bin/anythin...i?msgid=773889

wills83z28cfi 08-09-2005 02:04 PM

I haven't heard anything yet, thanks for posting it though. Damn, this sucks bad, now they can pull you over just because and check your ride out. My car is ok but some other people are not, we won't say names, lol. Better be careful guys.

kairles 08-09-2005 04:34 PM

the cops have been doing this for years its more of a ***** thing than domestic/muscle cars. CHP officer's take smog type classes so thay can know what modified things look like/for (i.e. intakes, exhaust, smog delete, etc) we have nothing to worry about for the most part our cars are supposed to sound like they do but a honda shouldn't be farting and sneezing down the street

back when I was in high school I used to beat up on ricers in north natomas(thats by arco) not so much on del paso road, mostly on national

OUTATIME GTA 08-09-2005 06:00 PM

come to train other departments how to look out for what they believe to be tell-tale signs of illegal modification such as window tinting, large spoilers, extra gauges or racing stickers.
0 for 4.
I think I am okay.
I will be tinting soon, but nothing that will catch a pigs eye.

This crap is just like anything else.
Unless you're asking for it while driving, you will be fine.
Once again showing that racing at stoplights is risky and you should go out in the boonies to street race, haha.

87tpi 08-09-2005 06:09 PM

Glad I moved to Nevada.It so much more relaxed.

Firebird90 08-09-2005 06:51 PM

Even thought the CHP are going to these classes.
There are some much vareance from year to year on one make and model car. I cant see how they will remember all this information. Unless they are using there laptop....

jocww 08-09-2005 06:52 PM

Its not what you drive its how you drive it just like out of time said, altho we still have to worry about the smog stuff on our car if stopped, but if you lock your hood then they cant really open it now can they;)

porkyzilla 08-09-2005 07:40 PM

remove your emissions labels or put a sticker over it for when you get smogged :D this will help them not see the light

i think this is a fake

TraviZ 08-09-2005 11:31 PM

that sux, but that just promotes my idea of appearing stock on the outside for a nice stealth resort "yes its just restored nicely isnt it.. stock n all.." hehe

Dizturbed One 08-10-2005 12:00 AM

its true, i read it in the sacramento bee

time to watch out

kairles 08-11-2005 01:53 PM

its more twards the imports. the adverage domestic modder doesn't put stickers and wings on their car or have big 4 inch tips

the CHP classes are for aftermaket stuff and so they know what EGR stuff looks like most EGR valve look alike and you can tell by the car/year if it should have an egr althought most imports out don't have egr but they look for other things also

wills83z28cfi 08-11-2005 01:59 PM

I think Terrell has the right idea on this, and besides, if your not asking for trouble there is nothing to worry about.

Eric, maybe you should take some advice here, stop asking cops to pull you over with the way you drive, lol. :lmao:

Firebreed 08-28-2005 11:51 PM

i guess then that 5% tint is a no go for me :lmao:

yea i know old post...

Psycho_91Camaro 11-28-2005 06:50 PM

you dont have to worry about anything if you keep your camaro exterior appearence looking stock. Thats what im planning on doing. I dont like any kits... just the regular stock kit it came with.

jocww 11-29-2005 11:01 PM

3 months to the day good post digging:p

TraviZ 11-29-2005 11:04 PM

:gocrazy:

superGMman 11-30-2005 12:16 AM

it's bull

berly83 12-13-2005 02:29 PM

Ya I heard that here in the bay Area the cops have an unmarked Subaru STI that they drive up in to the races and then just bust everybody. Sneaky little B @ $ t @ r I) $.

vindeezl 12-14-2005 06:09 AM

If I had cool plates like OUTATIMEGTA I'd never ever get a ticket :D

Me and my cheap gov't sh!t :doh:

TraviZ 12-14-2005 12:07 PM

COPSSUK