Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Organized Drag Racing and Autocross (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/organized-drag-racing-autocross/)
-   -   Drag Radial, should I run it still? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/organized-drag-racing-autocross/242766-drag-radial-should-i.html)

GASGZLR 05-26-2004 10:20 AM

Drag Radial, should I run it still?

One of my drag radials has the ply showing in the middle intermitantly about 1/2 to 1 inch wide. Will it still hook? Is it ok to use it at the track? How far is too far?

BTW: I will be changing them at the track.

MrDude_1 05-26-2004 10:28 AM

should you? no.

would i ever reccomend ANYONE do that? no.

have i done it before? yes.

was it stupid of me to do it? yes.

honestly, if that was my only set, i was broke and i "had" to run that night, would i? probly.

i dont think anyone is going to tell you its ok to run them that way. any tech inspector should fail you. and its not safe. but its still your judgement call. if you didnt have to run them, then i wouldnt.

GASGZLR 05-26-2004 04:01 PM

I hear you, but I am kind of hoping that someone would have told me that is is OK and they should be fine.

AlkyIROC 05-26-2004 07:41 PM

Tires are now considered bald. You need new tires. It's a wonder tech hasn't caught it yet.

GASGZLR 05-26-2004 07:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just to be sure.

RebelTillDeath3 05-26-2004 07:59 PM

Originally posted by Stephen 87 IROC
It's a wonder tech hasn't caught it yet.
Well if the officials didn't snort crack/smoke weed then maybe they would. *cough*MIR*cough*Englishtown*cough*

five7kid 05-26-2004 08:26 PM

Why don't you email that photo to the BFG tech help and get their opinion?

And their legal department while you're at it... :o

scottland 05-26-2004 09:43 PM

yeah those tires are done.

AlkyIROC 05-26-2004 09:46 PM

Even a slick has wear holes in them to tell you when they're worn out.

DOT tires have a wear bar in the bottom of some of the grooves. When you reach the wear bar, the tire is worn out. When the wear bar is completely gone and all of the tread is gone, there is no more rubber left and the tire should have been thrown out a long time ago.

Suck it up and buy new tires. Any kind of tire with a racing compound will not have a long mileage life. I have a short race season and if I'm lucky, I can get 2 full seasons out of a set of slicks.

Timz2882 05-26-2004 10:09 PM

i got a set of DOT slicks and there down to the wear senors in a few spots. when i got them it was i guess the inside of the tread that worn down the most. is it still good to use them like 2-3 more times before throwing them away?

MrDude_1 05-27-2004 10:21 AM

Originally posted by GASGZLR
Just to be sure.
i would NOT use thoes peroid.

if it was still rubber all teh way around, like a wannbe slick, i might chance it.

you can see the cords, that tire is overdone..