Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Organized Drag Racing and Autocross (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/organized-drag-racing-autocross/)
-   -   twisted axles (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/organized-drag-racing-autocross/607525-twisted-axles.html)

DIGGLER 03-17-2011 10:22 PM

twisted axles

both of my 31 spline moser axles are showing signs of twisting. maybe 1/2 a tooth or so. is there an acceptable limit on how much twist you can have before replacing the axle? i would like to sell this rear with slightly tweaked but "useable" axles. they would work fine in a slower car i would imagine. i just didnt want to sell a dangerous set of axles.

AlkyIROC 03-17-2011 11:41 PM

Re: twisted axles

If they're the same length, swap sides and twist them back.

I have no idea what's acceptable. As far as I'm concerned, if they're twisted at all, they've been stressed beyond their limits and should be replaced. I've heard of people finding axles twisted at least 1/4 turn without them breaking.

Although a new posi/spool would have to be purchased, upgrading to 33 spline axles is easy. Going to 35+ spline means a different case with larger bearings.

Using a powerglide, my starting line ratio is quite low compared to a 3+ speed car. With the amount of torque my engine produces, I can still safely get away with 31 spline axles but I could start twisting them at any time. I never pulled them this winter but did last year and they were still straight. When they were new, I painted a line down the length of the axle. Makes checking for straightness later on easier.

xpndbl3 03-18-2011 12:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thought I recall Strange stating that up to 3 splines of twist was acceptable on the axles(which seems like a ton)....in fact unless there's 2 splines of twist they won't even tell people to ship them to them, from what I read on yellowbullet.

and here's how you really do it :lol:

Attachment 396612

Shagwell 03-18-2011 07:51 AM

I've done that ^ to 35 spline MW units.....that blower hits hard.

Street axles are questionable with any signs of torsional twist like that. Race axles 1 full spline is a good safe amount, though I have heard of 2-3 being ok.

DO NOT swap sides with them. If you try to twist them back you will make them brittle, thus severly weakening them. - That was directly from MW on ours.

DIGGLER 03-18-2011 08:27 AM

i am looking to go to 35 splines. my moser aluminum case will need to be swapped along with the spool. doh!

i believe i am just going to sell this rearend to someone looking for a bolt in rear. i will be going more custom on a new housing. gonna shoot for a bare housing and add my own brackets, along with going to a coilover setup.

1BADRZ28 03-18-2011 12:24 PM

I replace all twisted axels and toss them out.

xpndbl3 03-18-2011 12:25 PM

The axles are $315 I believe for the pair to replace 31 splines, so not a "huge" expense compared to typical racing parts. I am glad I just order 35 spline and a spool for every car I put together for people or for myself. Unless it's an autocross type car then it's 31 spline and that true trac.

DIGGLER 03-18-2011 01:29 PM

the 31's would probably be ok for a 3100# car down to around a 1.32 60' or so on slicks. its possible i twisted these axles on the radials when i chattered the tires a couple of times. i thought about just replacing them, but im looking to go well into the 1.2's on my 60's. better safe than sorry i guess.

five7kid 03-19-2011 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Shagwell (Post 4859296)
DO NOT swap sides with them. If you try to twist them back you will make them brittle, thus severly weakening them. - That was directly from MW on ours.

Agreed. The twist "cold works" the grains in a directional fashion. Reversing will fail them very quickly.