Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Organized Drag Racing and Autocross (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/organized-drag-racing-autocross/)
-   -   1991 Track Only Camaro (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/organized-drag-racing-autocross/697727-1991-track-only-camaro.html)

GreggymacZ28 03-02-2014 02:30 PM

1991 Track Only Camaro

6 Attachment(s)
Recently my parents have been living in a condo, while they were having their dream house built out in a more rural area with a bigger garage that my dad couldn't wait for. My dad had always been in to buicks and had to sell his when they moved from their old house. But my Camaro has gotten him a little more lenient as well as a little more interested in the availability and cheapness the thirdgen's have over the 1970 buicks. Anyway, they have just moved in to the new house in the past couple of weeks, and my dad already made his purchase, lol.

Here it is sitting in the garage after we got it home...
Attachment 338710

And then some more shots of it...

Attachment 338711

Attachment 338712

Attachment 338713

Attachment 338714

Attachment 338715

Now he bought this car mainly done, so we havn't gone through it 100% yet, but the previous owner said it ran 11.0 on the motor and he has a NOS Sniper system hooked up as well, and it ran high 9's on the bottle. My dad is not too interested in the nitrous so we might remove that and maybe add it to my car:burnout:. But the car just arrived so we are still figuring everything out with it.

Anyway here are some of the specs on it..

1991 Camaro RS
383 sbc with AFR 210 Race heads, QuickFuel 750 carb
Cam is in the 244/244 duration and .560" lift on both sides and is a solid flat tappet.
Forged flattop pistons, with a c/r around 10.8:1.

Moser 9 inch rear end with 35 spline axles and spool, and a th400 trans(no trans brake) with a 8 inch 4000 stall TCI converter.

That's all I can really remember to put right now, some of our plans for it are to remove the nitrous, the guy ran it with a little less safety than what we would like so we might remove it from his and install it in mine with a lot more precautions. Also, we are just looking for it to run 11.0s and be a good pro bracket car. Another thing is the guy removed everything that doesn't need to be there, so we are going to put some carpet in it and other things to make it more of an enjoyable ride, also has no mirrors... those are going back on, lol.

The most amazing thing about it though is the paint. The guy worked at a Chrysler dealership and had the painter there paint the car two years ago, and I cant believe the shine and the quality of the paint job. He had a chip in the front spoiler and when my dad put the deposit on it he sent the front spoiler out to his buddy to repaint it for us and it looks better than anything we could have imagined.

I'm sure I have forgotten a lot of stuff about the car so feel free to ask anything. Anyways, I will keep updating this with progress on his car as we go through it and we should both have a fun race season this year!

DIGGLER 03-02-2014 05:42 PM

Re: 1991 Track Only Camaro

good looking car, but dang hes going to turn a 9 second car with 10 point rollcage and lexan windows into an 11 second street car?

actually, a 383 with those heads and a nitrous kit is good for 8's....
i would run it as is, and see how he likes it. 11.0's will seem somewhat slow in that car.

86iroc2try 03-02-2014 05:46 PM

That's a good looking car. I like it

GreggymacZ28 03-02-2014 07:03 PM

86iroc2try - Thanks a lot man.

Diggler - The main reason of the buy was not so much to have a 9 sec car, as much as to have a car with all the performance already there as well as all of the expensive parts out of the way, and all he has to do is just add a few small things. My dad's never ran faster than 11s and didn't want to do it all at once. He did say he might add the nitrous back in the future though.

I see what you mean though, lol. The car was built to go fast, my dad is just going to make sure he takes his time with it instead of all in one stride.

90camaro355rs 03-02-2014 07:22 PM

good looking car man!

mw66nova 03-02-2014 07:26 PM

great looking car! i look foward to hearing how much it weighs :)

GreggymacZ28 03-02-2014 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by mw66nova (Post 5723858)
great looking car! i look foward to hearing how much it weighs :)

You and me both! lol. I will get some more interior pics soon to show how much is removed.

t-top havoc 03-02-2014 07:40 PM

Nice!!
Now you just need to get to join in TGO ;-)

mw66nova 03-02-2014 07:47 PM

i'm a little surprised at the things that are still in the car, and the things that are not.

-brake booster is still there
-some sort of weird blower motor contraption
-etc

yet the car has no wipers, lexan window, not hood or hatch latches, etc. just strange is all, lol.

GreggymacZ28 03-02-2014 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by mw66nova (Post 5723882)
i'm a little surprised at the things that are still in the car, and the things that are not.

-brake booster is still there
-some sort of weird blower motor contraption
-etc

yet the car has no wipers, lexan window, not hood or hatch latches, etc. just strange is all, lol.

Yeah the "Blower motor contraption" is a vacuum pump he custom built from a Chevy Colorado truck. We were puzzled by it at first as well. We also noticed the brake booster however it is not even hooked up. This is one of the things my dad was going to look into.

Also behind the headlight covers, there are no headlights, lol.

t-top havoc - He has been a member on this board for 2 or so years now, but he is not as vocal on forums as me, so im almost positive he doesn't even have one post:lmao:

mw66nova 03-02-2014 08:03 PM

PA Racing for manual brake setup :)

http://www.paracing.com/racingstore/...roducts_id=209

GreggymacZ28 03-02-2014 08:19 PM

Very cool! Thanks a lot. My dad was just asking me today if there is a kit like this one.

DIGGLER 03-02-2014 08:30 PM

im a fan of power brakes, so i would personally keep the booster if the cam allows. :-)

vacuum pump wont work well, i would ditch that and run some header evac's instead.
i would put the headlights back in it
put a cheater plate on there. he'll love it. heh!

GreggymacZ28 03-02-2014 09:02 PM

We will look into the booster and vacuum pump. My dad had some plans to fix the vacuum pump but if he cant get it to work the way he'd like then he will probably ditch it.

The nitrous system in there is a NOS Sniper kit, which if I read correctly is the same plate as the cheater and would just need to get some cheater solenoids for it to become a cheater system.