Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Pacific Region (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/pacific-region/)
-   -   Outer Islands, Alaska, Guam, Australia, etc. (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/pacific-region/363694-outer-islands-alaska-guam.html)

3rdGenBlackBird 05-10-2006 07:58 PM

Outer Islands, Alaska, Guam, Australia, etc.

Does anyone know if there are other board members from the full "Pacific region?"

With only one exception, this seems like an 'Oahu Only' board. I know there are a few others guys floating around, does anyone else read here?

Once the super ferry gets goin', we can hit up other tracks in our state much easier. It'd be cool to meet up with guys from Maui or the Big Island.

savagevulcan 05-20-2006 04:27 AM

i am over here in hilo and i am usually on the boards every week at least. It would be cool to meet up with some "nice" third gens because all of them around here are beat to hell. Hell, im happy to see mustangs around hilo town itd be awesome if some real cars showed up. I dont know of many other third gen "people" though.

Duck 06-16-2006 10:36 AM

Anyone have an update on the Super Ferry?

...wow, seven posts now, must be the only one here!

alicat 06-20-2006 06:44 AM

Hello from australia

I'm from the world's biggest island,down in Tasmania.

Regards,
Alicat.:thumbsup:

Duck 06-20-2006 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by alicat
I'm from the world's biggest island,down in Tasmania.

Regards,
Alicat.:thumbsup:

Cool! How about posting a photo of your car with Tasmanian scenery in the background...

3rdGenBlackBird 06-26-2006 01:27 AM

Hey that's cool! Do you guys have any tracks there?

IROC_Z28_ex_jap 07-18-2006 08:30 AM

I'm in Perth in Western Australia.

Yes we do have a track here called Barbagallo Raceway.
The V8 Supercars (domestic Holden (GM) vs Ford competion) have a round there each year.

A lot of aussies are passionate about motorsport.
The greatest event, the one that has had the greatest impact on the domestic car market is the big race - Bathurst.

The "race on Sunday, sell on Monday" idiom has resulted in some fanastic cars being produced locally.

Try a google search on any the following

Ford Falcon GTHO
Holden Monaro
Valiant Charger
Torana A9X

There are a few other aussie muscle cars too, but these would be the most famous ones.

Some of you may not be aware, but the Pontiac GTO currently being sold in the US is actually a Holden Monaro built in Australia, with just a few small detail changes.

Cheers,
Ray.

Duck 07-18-2006 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by IROC_Z28_ex_jap
I'm in Perth in Western Australia.

Hi Ray, thanks for dropping in mate! I've some pals out there in QLD, but have not had time to drop in for a visit. Some of us are looking for sources of BW 9-bolt parts, is there a retail outlet nearby on your side? What's the price of petrol zooming up to? We're about $3.50-$4 per gallon. Cheers, Ed

3rdGenBlackBird 07-18-2006 10:55 PM

Ray, I really love the new Torana concept. I haven't seen a concept drive me crazy like that since... well, I don't think ever.

Also, the Monaro is the greatest quality car I've ever driven from GM.

If I ever leave the states, I KNOW where I'm headed.

Oh yeah, and welcome to the site! How long have you had your IROC?

Scott

IROC_Z28_ex_jap 07-19-2006 09:42 AM

Yeah, us aussies love our cars!!

Scott, I haven't actually taken delivery of my IROC yet. I put down a deposit on monday morning. Its supposed to be getting licensed over here tomorrow. I should have it late Thursday!!

Duck, most of the parts on the west side come over from the eastern states anyway.
Petrol is at around $1.33 per litre for our miserable unleaded, or around $1.43 per litre for 98 octane stuff.
1 US gallon is equal to 3.785 litres so our prices would be
$5 per gallon for 91 octane unleaded
and around $5.40 per gallon for 98 octane
but thats in aussie dollars, which at the moment buys $0.75 us dollars.
so in usa money and volumes its:-

$3.74 per gallon for 91 octane unleaded
and around $4 per gallon for 98 octane

Cheers,
Ray.

3rdGenBlackBird 07-20-2006 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by IROC_Z28_ex_jap
so in usa money and volumes its:-

$3.74 per gallon for 91 octane unleaded
and around $4 per gallon for 98 octane

Cheers,
Ray.

Wow! If those numbers are right then you aren't paying much more than we are in Hawaii. I pay $3.49 per gallon for 92. I was expecting you to say over $4.00/gal, since that's where we're heading soon/eventually.

IROC_Z28_ex_jap 08-16-2006 09:35 AM

Hi guys.
I finally got a picture of my Camaro up in the vbGarage.
Not the best picture I could have taken, but its winter here at the moment, and not the best weather for outdoor photography.

By the way, since my last post the price for petrol has gone up to around $4.02 a gallon for 91 octane (US currency, US volumes).

Cheers,
Ray.

Neo_Flyer 05-11-2007 08:54 AM

Re: Outer Islands, Alaska, Guam, Australia, etc.

Originally Posted by Duck (Post 2984538)
Some of us are looking for sources of BW 9-bolt parts, is there a retail outlet nearby on your side?

Hi Ed,
I'm also from down under. TA man from way back I was converted after working for a year in Florida. Anyway I live in the Blue Mountains and work in Sydney. The Borg Warner factory is in Sydney if you are after anything in particular I could make some inquiries for you let me know. I have been watching for a while but this is my first post. More than happy to help. Cheers Neo

Duck 05-11-2007 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Neo_Flyer (Post 3336750)
Hi Ed,
I'm also from down under. TA man from way back I was converted after working for a year in Florida. Anyway I live in the Blue Mountains and work in Sydney. The Borg Warner factory is in Sydney if you are after anything in particular I could make some inquiries for you let me know. I have been watching for a while but this is my first post. More than happy to help. Cheers Neo

Thanks Neo, appreciate the info. Since this post was active, I'm moved to Kingman, AZ along with our Camaros, and once the supply of 9-bolts run out, have decided to go with 10-bolts and eventually a 12-bolt -- instead of fussing with the BW. They're just too expensive to work with.

However, if you have a list of easily available parts, I'm sure some of the other 9-bolt guys here would appreciate more information. Gosh, I'd sure like to be out there in QLD quaffing down a few Fosters!

Ausragtop 07-14-2007 11:04 AM

Hi guys , I'm in Sydney Australia considering how far away we are from the USA we have a good F/Body presence here along with other US Muscle.
We just had the Kittyhawk and support ships in town for a few days on R&R.
You might like to check out www.camaro-firebird.org.
here's a pic of my vert and friends.
Edit , seems i can't upload a pic of my car if i have put it up before in other threads?

dav570 07-26-2007 07:40 PM

Hi guys,
Im from Sydney Australia. Good to hear from you all.
Very into the American muscle cars :)
I drive a 86 transAm which Ive been restoring for about 2 years now.
Fixing all the little bits and pieces and buying parts all the time.
Not much left to do now besides maybe some springs but a bit hard to get over here...
Drop us a line..
Cheers
David.
----------
Hi Ausragtop,
Good to see a local mate, where abouts in sydney are you.
I saw the kitty hawk when it came in a few weeks back...very nice.
D.

83Chevy__Camaro 07-26-2007 07:59 PM

im from alaska

Ausragtop 07-30-2007 05:31 AM

Hi Dave, It's AKA (NoviceFB) here ,good to see others here!

dav570 07-30-2007 06:47 PM

Hey ausragtop,
Good to see you online mate.
Hows the beast going?
dav

Ausragtop 08-01-2007 12:59 AM

Been working too much lately and not driving the car enough!
But spring and summer are on their way so i'll get her out more often then.

dav570 08-02-2007 08:29 PM

sounds good buddy,
gotta keep the beast alive!! haha
where abouts in sydney are you?
dave

Ausragtop 08-04-2007 06:07 AM

Western suburbs at the foot of the Blue Mountains!

guamcamaro91 06-17-2008 10:39 AM

i'm from guam. good to see fellow islanders with camaros :thumbsup: :chevy:

giantstickman 04-23-2009 07:13 AM

First post here - Thought i might introduce myself.
I live just outside the ACT here in Australia, just bought a third gen Camaro from Victoria that I'm currently restoring and building up. Purchased it for a steal, a shade over $1,500.

Keen to build up my knowledge and skills and I've always had a soft spot for this model.

Currently it's a 2.8L V6 but i've got some big plans for it!

Good to see i'm not the only Aussie on here with a passion for this model!

yankeecarman 05-05-2009 02:53 PM

Im from Melbourne, Australia. Always looked on third gen but never on the local part of the site. I will be more in attendance from now. Name is Ron.

Aussie Muscle 06-11-2009 11:05 PM

Heya. nother aussie here. My story sounds like 'bigstickman'. i'm from bombala NSW , not far from a.c.t in fact. and also bought a car from Victoria, which is also a 2.8 v6 but mine's a firebird.:lmao:

yankeecarman 06-12-2009 04:39 PM

Yeh, I live in Frankton outside Melbourne. I had an 84 Z28 for 8 years and really was a great car but it was written off. For the last 2 years I have a 91 Trans Am conv. I am still getting it the way I wanted. Put sfcs, wonder bar, lowered springs on it. Slowly getting it right. I build sfcs a sell them but convertibles will not accept the ones that I make. Anyway, it gives me an interests and people to talk to. Also, belong to the Chevrolet Car Club here. Ron

giantstickman 08-20-2009 03:41 AM

How do you guys go for parts?
Stuff from the states seems to cost a small fortune in postage and the only local place i could find www.pontiworld.com.au is usually not very cheap!

yankeecarman 08-20-2009 04:02 AM

unless it is a large part, it is usually better to get it sent from the U.S. by the post office. I am from Melbourne where are you from?

giantstickman 08-21-2009 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by yankeecarman (Post 4258113)
unless it is a large part, it is usually better to get it sent from the U.S. by the post office. I am from Melbourne where are you from?

Hey mate, in Canberra. Got a few parts from the states now but finding it can be pretty costly just for the shipping costs. Ah well, guess it goes with choosing to work on this type of car so can't complain too much.

ThePain 10-05-2009 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by IROC_Z28_ex_jap (Post 2984443)

A lot of aussies are passionate about motorsport.
The greatest event, the one that has had the greatest impact on the domestic car market is the big race - Bathurst.

Try a google search on any the following

Ford Falcon GTHO
Holden Monaro
Valiant Charger
Torana A9X

There are a few other aussie muscle cars too, but these would be the most famous ones.
Cheers,
Ray.

OMG, I might get crap for this here but the Ford Falcon XC COBRA IS AMAZING AHHHHH :eek::eek: Dream car dream car! "Hides"

I'm in alaska :)

Duck 10-07-2009 08:15 AM

What is it like for car enthusasists up there near Anchorage? Going north seems more like jeep country, rather than ThirdGens... Unless the chassis is raised and studded tires installed. Although I'd think some of the soldiers assigned to Fort Wainright would have brought their Camaros and Firebirds with them from the lower states. BTW, if you really want a GTHO, they're currently selling for close to a million. I think I'll keep my IROC, which is I believe, a much better looking and faster car.

ThePain 10-08-2009 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Duck (Post 4306480)
What is it like for car enthusasists up there near Anchorage? Going north seems more like jeep country, rather than ThirdGens... Unless the chassis is raised and studded tires installed. Although I'd think some of the soldiers assigned to Fort Wainright would have brought their Camaros and Firebirds with them from the lower states. BTW, if you really want a GTHO, they're currently selling for close to a million. I think I'll keep my IROC, which is I believe, a much better looking and faster car.

It's basically the same as most people around the board. Top down through the summer and garage queen during the winter. Wouldn't be too bad, they don't ice the roads up here, but my neighborhood just goes up and up to the sky. My dad's had problems escaping the driveway in his bronco :lmao: Never been off-roading though, tried going down a gravel road and the vibration nearly killed my bronco, so you can see my enthusiasm to try taking the road less paved. Hasn't snowed yet, thank GOD,a but it's close. Not too long till my camy is garage queen once more :( But the snow doesn't last too long. For the most part weather is kinda like seattle, rain rain rain minus the lightning. Winter the snow really piles up. A BIG, and I do mean BIG fall of snow could probably reach my camaros graphics! :eek:

As for the GTHO's.... Ya I noticed :doh: BUT that's only 10 or 20 thousand shy of the BEAUTIFUL $80k 69 camaro at anchorage chevy, with the same white with blue stripes

aza454 11-04-2009 08:11 AM

Hey guys, I'm from Central Victoria, Australia.. bought my 87 RS from Queensland, Australia about a year ago! Good to see I'm not the only one in Australia with a v6 thirdgen hahaha

Duck 11-05-2009 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by aza454 (Post 4335368)
Hey guys, I'm from Central Victoria, Australia.. bought my 87 RS from Queensland, Australia about a year ago! Good to see I'm not the only one in Australia with a v6 thirdgen hahaha

Welcome aboard, V6 ThirdGens are actually more well-balanced than the V8 versions, since the weight bias is shifted to the rear of the vehicle. There's a thread on here somewhere about a guy who used his V6 Camaro to do a lot of road racing. And I drove a '91 V6 RS for about two years, it was a really nice car. Is there a requirement to convert your car to right hand steering?

aza454 11-09-2009 06:58 AM

I'm unsure about the legal requirement, I think exceptions can be made, but my car was converted to Right Hand Drive before I purchased it so it's fairly good for me, just looking to beef it up a bit now without having to modify the engine too much (so i can restore it to original if i ever sell it)

Keith5875 12-16-2009 09:44 AM

When is the super ferry scheduled to start back up?

Tonkatoy 01-18-2010 07:15 PM

So I guess I am the only KIWI on this site.
I have had 2 3rd Gens. I went to Bathurst last year MAN what a trip. Give me a holler if you are ever down or over here.
:chevy:

Duck 01-19-2010 07:11 PM

Do you guys in NZ have to have RH steering?

Tonkatoy 01-19-2010 11:24 PM

Yes we do however if you buy a LH drive car that is over 20 years then it is a classic and therefore doesn't have to be converted. If it is under 20 years then you can still leave it LH Drive but you have to live & own it in the US for 90 days then import it & then you can't sell for 5 yrs.
If you don't meet that criteria then you have to convert it at a cost of about $20,000. Hence the reason my car is a 89. It was manufactured in June 89 so I couldn't import it untill June 09.

Duck 01-20-2010 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Tonkatoy (Post 4406632)
Yes we do however if you buy a LH drive car that is over 20 years then it is a classic and therefore doesn't have to be converted. If it is under 20 years then you can still leave it LH Drive but you have to live & own it in the US for 90 days then import it & then you can't sell for 5 yrs.
If you don't meet that criteria then you have to convert it at a cost of about $20,000. Hence the reason my car is a 89. It was manufactured in June 89 so I couldn't import it untill June 09.

How interesting, I never realized those details. Is there a challenge in finding mechanics knowledgeable about working on TPI systems in NZ? Odd as it may sound, over here in the USA many of our thirdgens are older than mechanics now graduating from tech schools.

Tonkatoy 01-20-2010 10:07 AM

I shouldn't be up at the mo as it is 4am but it can be difficukt however Holden which is a GM Brand from Australia use the same base motors so not too bad however I get most my info of this site :-)

v350 02-01-2010 05:28 PM

Hey, I've been on the forum here for a while. I don't make too many posts! I am from South Australia, a couple hours from Adelaide. Good to see some other Aussies on the site. I have an 82 Trans Am.

Feenicks85 02-28-2010 04:41 AM

I just signed up today, I'm in Queensland. Don't currently own a thirdgen but hope to soon!

aza454 03-07-2010 03:37 AM

nice man, im in Vic... what you thinking of getting?

Feenicks85 03-07-2010 09:49 PM

Well there's a 1985 firebird just outside of Cairns, just getting it RACQ inspected and then I'm gonna fly up and drive it back down to Brisbane. Hope all goes well with that one!

aza454 03-08-2010 12:13 AM

thats cool, i flew to brissy and bought my camaro then drove it back with my dad (this was before i had my license)

Feenicks85 03-08-2010 12:31 AM

Haha, funny enough I just got my P plates in January. Never thought my first car would be a Firebird, didn't know they made V6s. Well, ain't I glad that they do ;)

AussieIROC66 12-29-2011 12:15 PM

Blackwater, Queensland here

Z28NZ 12-31-2011 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Tonkatoy (Post 4405161)
So I guess I am the only KIWI on this site.
I have had 2 3rd Gens. I went to Bathurst last year MAN what a trip. Give me a holler if you are ever down or over here.
:chevy:

Dude you are not the only Kiwi on this site! I'm in Nelson, got an 85 Tpi Z28. Use this forum all the time for info on my 355 build. The LB9 shat itself last night so its coming out to make way for the 355, vortec head mill, will be a fun carI hope.