Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Pacific Region (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/pacific-region/)
-   -   Calling all KIWI'S (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/pacific-region/707361-calling-all-kiwis.html)

loopy 08-22-2014 03:03 AM

Calling all KIWI'S

I just thought we should get a group of kiwi 3rd gen owners going,

So,

Me, Geoff, Just south of Blenheim

1983 Camaro berlinetta, 305ci carbed, soon to be 350 Vortec, 700r4 auto.

Please, make yourselves known. You never know when we may be of use to each other, or maybe we could arrange some get-togethers.

Don't be shy!

Z28NZ 08-23-2014 05:33 AM

Re: Calling all KIWI'S

Hey Geoff, I'm not far from you in Nelson, Built my own 355 vortec headed TPI and love the fabulous torque and power of this engine. If I can be of any help let me know as I do a bit of work on third gens for locals as no-one really knows much about them here.

Cheers simon

loopy 08-23-2014 05:58 AM

Hiya Simon

Thanks for replying.

I don't suppose you know the internals of the 700R4 do you?

I can see a trans rebuild in my future and would love to do it myself

'Jones82TransAM 08-23-2014 06:53 PM

Hi Geoff & Simon.

I am currently balls deep into rebuilding a 350 chevy and getting a 350 TH Transmission for my car. Trans Am owners seem hard to come by and look forward to corresponding with you guys. Unfortunately my financial position dictates a slow rebuilding process, and wouldn't be available for a meet or anything until next year sometime. It's good to meet you though, thanks for the message! Keep in touch.

Z28NZ 08-23-2014 07:40 PM

Geoff, I've never been into a 700r4 as both of ours are fine. But as I am also building a fully forged 350 chasing 500hp for my Z28and the current tranny won't be man enough for the job, so I've had torque converter rebuilt and high stalled to 2500-2800 that I had as a spare, and I also have a spare trans that will get a full upgrade, prob import a kit from the US from PATC who build Raptor trans which are super strong. Whether I undertake to do the rebuild myself or job it out I havn't decided yet as my biggest shortage is time. The local auto trans shop here does not impress me so any work I job out will go to Chch. Bought a trans rebuild manual and read it and seems straight forward, limitations being the special tools, pullers etc reqd I don't have. Food for thought still. Am currently flat out fitting a tastily rebuilt 360ci sbc into my Oldsmobile and having it ready for the Kaikoura Hop!

Cheers Simon

loopy 08-23-2014 09:00 PM

Hi Jones

Thanks for replying. Looking forward to seeing you one day!

I guess all our cars are works in progress lol

Simon,

I have been reading threads about people undertaking their own trans rebuilds and its kind of inspiring me to have a crack at my own. I have always wanted to learn about auto's and that seems to be the best way. A guy told me that the mid 90's commodore v6's used 700r4's so I thought maybe have a play with one of them 1st.

I'm gonna buy the rebuild DVD and manual and study them while I assemble the parts for mine. Hopefully by then I will have helped you build yours and will have an idea what I am doing lol :goodidea:

Apparently a lot of the tools can be made up for the job too, such as pullers and drifts etc.

When/what is the Kaikoura hop? EDIT..... don't worry, I googled it

dr.wylde 08-24-2014 03:20 AM

Hi Guys I'm Based Just north of Oamaru with a Trans am Daytona 500 (uncomplied , long slow resto project) good to see other kiwis here
cheers

loopy 08-24-2014 02:15 PM

Hi Dr

Good to hear from you. Keep in touch.

Pics are good!

Base91 08-25-2014 11:20 AM

Hope you all have fun down there! What do you guys have to put up with in the way of vehicle inspections, taxes, modifications, emissions, petrol prices etc.?

loopy 08-25-2014 01:06 PM

Hi base.

We have a sixth monthly safety inspection ( warrant of fitness). $50.

We have to certify any vehicular modifications, ie engine changes (increased size , larger wheels, lifts, lowering etc) that's about $400. its also quite expensive to compliance a car here ( import etc, especially LHDrive) although I have never had to do it myself so not sure of costs.

We also pay an annual registration per vehicle $250 for petrol $400 diesel.

Gas costs 2.25ish per liter for 91 octane.

Not a cheap place to run a v8 but yeah we still manage to have fun. We have some wonderful winding roads in New Zealand to punt our cars around ( at 100kph of course!)

Lucky thing is no emissions testing yet but they will take you off the road for excessive smoke.

If you get caught pulling a wheelie they call it sustained lack of traction, you'll get fined. if you repeatedly get caught doing it, they can crush your car. Its part of the new "boy racer laws" LOL

I don't suppose its any different there except our cops don't usually pull a gun on you:o

Base91 08-26-2014 10:37 AM

We have 50 states with 50 different sets of rules. In CA there is no vehicle inspection as such just the emissions test which we're beaten over the head with. A test every 6 months seems excessive. I was in Britain a couple of years ago and heard there was a suggestion that the annual inspection be changed to every two years because cars are so well made now compared to how they used to be. The wailing from the inspection stations got the idea tossed. It's always about the money.

loopy 08-26-2014 09:38 PM

I think they are changing the 6 month test to 1 yr for cars less than 10 yo. We don't have separate states so 1 set of rules for everybody.
Mind you I hate the Wof checks. You just never know what they will pull you up on next. Some of the **** is pathetic but I guess it's peace of mind too. At least the car is nominally safe lol. The real bummer of the system is that we can't change factory crush zones etc so sub frame connectors and such would require certification which can get real expensive. I think tubular front ends would be a no-no here but not positive. Maybe someone else will chime in who has had experience with this sort of stuff.

dr.wylde 08-27-2014 02:42 AM

LHD and compliance isnt too bad, They are more strict about rust and repairwork
for example go in for compliance check, fail on rust , get rust repaired by an LTSA authorised repairer, recomply , repair certification required, go get repair cert Blah blah blah Its alot of headache and money when complying

loopy 08-28-2014 11:41 PM

I just had a thought. Will I need to certify my 305-350 engine swap?

Z28NZ 08-29-2014 03:56 AM

Hey, I doubled my Hp swapping a 355 for a 305 but come warrant time I
tell them its still the original 305 if they ask and they cant tell the difference. Rules for certifying say any more than 20% increase in Hp you need to cert. Don't tell anyone that does not need to know! Geoff have you purchased your 350 yet and vortec heads? the reason I ask is, I have a recond 355 with vortec heads sitting on a pallet in my shed waiting for an engine bay!

loopy 08-29-2014 05:01 AM

oh mate! If only I knew that a week ago.

I had a vortec 350 crate engine sent down from AKLD.

Just picked it up today LOL

That's the trouble with living in the middle of nowhere, no advice or like minded people around. That's why I haunt these types of boards.

So far I have brought

350 Crate 255hp
Alex's valve springs
Quickfuel HR-680-VS carby
edelbrock Airgap RPM manifold

Looking to get a Comp XR270HR cam
Screw in studs
ARP Rod bolts
Maybe roller rockers etc

Still a little way to go ( as funds permit )

So, anyways, my Camaro came with a parts car as well. If that's any good may be I can take it off your hands. At the moment its in Wellington and I have never laid eyes on it so have no idea of its condition.

Wife says if its any good she'll have it :eek:

loopy 08-29-2014 05:43 AM

hey simon.... do you know off the top of your head the size of the

engine-bellhousing bolt?

Need to get some tomorrow for my engine stand

Cheers

Geoff

Z28NZ 08-29-2014 05:36 PM

3/8" unc

Z28NZ 08-29-2014 05:42 PM

Is your vortec engine 96-2002? if it is then you need a vortec specific intake, I hope your air gap intake is not std sbc, but if it is and it fits then your heads are not vortec. Bolt pattern and bolt angle are different.

loopy 08-29-2014 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Z28NZ (Post 5812277)
3/8" unc

Thanks.

I got the engine from Segedins in AKLD, the intake also so if its wrong it be going back!

I don't think it will be though. The guy I dealt with seemed pretty sharp.

There are the right amount of intake fastener holes for it to be a vortec (8)

This is the engine I got............. http://www.jegs.com/p/Chevrolet-Perf...rPage=60&pno=1

On a different note, have you ever noticed that the minute you go out in your Camaro that every boy racer in town wants to line you up/ have a go? Dickheads:nod:

Z28NZ 08-30-2014 05:13 AM

Seems like a good solid engine to start with.You won't be able to choose your cam yet until you know what pistons are in it and your deck height. you really need 10.0 to 10.5 comp ratio to run the cam you like and I suspect the easy way for you to do this is with a 22thou head gasket, no machining reqd. I did this on one of my earlier engines and it ran hard.

loopy 08-30-2014 06:02 AM

Where do you buy your parts Simon? Overseas or locally?

No speed shops at all in Blenheim

Z28NZ 08-31-2014 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by loopy (Post 5812427)
Where do you buy your parts Simon? Overseas or locally?

No speed shops at all in Blenheim

No speed shops here either.My local reconditioners can get me almost anything but at a price!! So I purchase what I can here Auckland to Invercargil and Trademe etc but it comes down to the cost, and if I can save money by importing I do so. Approx 50% of my stuff comes in from the US because some of it is just not available here or its gold plated in price. I even buy second hand out of the US.Sometimes my savings equal half what can buy it for here inc international shipping, so why would I not go this way?I know its not supporting our local industry or retailers but heck some of them are just rodgering us with their prices. Segedins are one of the better priced outfits, Silvester in Chch are a bit pricey but in saying that I recently bought a forged 350 crank off them for $875 which was ok buying. you just have to research prices plenty that's all. I may even have some parts here that you need, eg I have 3 sets of roller rockers spare, one a shaft roller setup that I bought for my Dart heads but didn't work out because the geometry was wrong, they suit Sbc. I think you need to make a trip over here sometime and see whats kicking around my workshop!

loopy 08-31-2014 01:29 AM

Yeah, I know what you mean , I've been buying all my R/c car and aircraft stuff from US and Hong Kong for years for that reason.

I'm going to be looking for roller rockers, but they need to the guided type to suit vortec heads and narrow? too I think.

I may try to get over there in the next month or so. Its busy as hell at work at the moment. I'll have to work it in with work and the wife's days off.

I also need to sort the Camaro's TC lock-up before I take it too far,
( although the previous owner said he had done a couple of trips from Wellington to AKLD and it hasn't blown the trans yet!)

I already have the vacuum switch and Trans-go lock-up kit but I am thinking I should get the replacement solenoid and a filter and pan gasket and do the job properly before I take the car too far, even though I have done heaps of 70km trips to Blenheim and home and it seems ok.

I'm still trying to find an EBay seller that has all the parts I need so I only have to pay 1 lot of freight.

Keen as to see your workshop though!

Z28NZ 08-31-2014 04:34 AM

If you are replacing your rocker studs with screw in type you don't need self aligning rockers you just use guide plates and any roller rocker that will fit in centre bolt heads. Or the shaft roller rockers I have that are self aligning. Do you subscribe to " You Shop".Its the most cost effective way I have found to get parts in from the U.S that are not too big or heavy.Opens up a whole new world on ebay as you get your own U.S postal address in Portland which means all the ebay sites that are blocked to you on ebay because you have an international postal address become available to you.

loopy 08-31-2014 10:53 PM

I've never heard of you shop. I signed up to buy USA but never used it cause they hit you with customs agent fees no matter how small the purchase. I'll look into you shop today.

loopy 09-01-2014 12:56 AM

Ok, so I have signed up for you post.
But I'm wondering, how do you get on when the ebay seller only posts to confirmed paypal address?

dr.wylde 09-11-2014 03:31 AM

Hi guys just thought i'd put the feelers out
anyone know where i could find a Trans am hood preferably with the power bulge?

loopy 09-11-2014 09:21 PM

Sorry mate, I got a spare Camaro cant help with T/A

Geoff

dr.wylde 09-13-2014 03:18 AM

Bugger oh well if you hear of anything let me know

natdowson 09-23-2014 01:51 AM

Hi guys just have joined this site its great to be able to talk to and ask questions to people that know what im talking. My name is Nathaniel Im 19 years old and am based in Wellsford North of Auckland I own a 83 firebird 500 le I have owned this car for just over a year it has been repowered with a chev 350 and just this weekend I have put in another beefed up 700r4 trans built for the strip. Also if anyone is looking for a spare 700r4 from a third gen for parts or to rebuild I have one for sale looking for about $200 or offers . Look forward to talking and/meeting other third gen owners in NZ Cheers Nat.

loopy 09-23-2014 02:00 AM

Hi Nat welcome aboard.

What year is the trans (1983?) and what condition is it in?

Cheers

Geoff

natdowson 09-23-2014 02:10 AM

Hey mate the trans is an 84 my firebird is actually a 84 but has been registered as a 83 for some weird reason the trans condition would suit a rebuild or parts when it was in the car it was working fine then all of a sudden it dropped all gears but 1st so had to limp home I was told but the trans rebuild shop that it had probably broken the sunshell gear other than that it the trans housing is in good nick.

loopy 09-23-2014 02:18 AM

I might be keen mate but in the sth island. I'm originally from Whangarei so will be up there visiting family later in the year hopefully. If you still have it I may grab it then.
I'm spending all my bucks at the moment building a vortec 350 but once that's done I would like to learn how to build the auto. Would be good to try it 1st on a wrecked one as my current auto still works fine,

natdowson 09-23-2014 02:27 AM

Yeah sweet as man im in no hurry so it"ll still be here would be good to meet each other, look forward to meeting let me know when your coming up and I"ll get you address details.
Cheers Nat

feilds 09-23-2014 09:38 PM

Hi guys, my name is Nick im from pukekohe auckland and ive got a 82 Z28 that ive been building up this year, ive been lurking on this site for ages and learning heaps of stuff so its good to make contact with other third gen owners. So far my mods have been to pull out the 305 and drop in 355 vortec head motor and add 4" cowl hood gonna upgrade the wheels in couple of weeks for dragstar look alikes, going for the drag look with mine..

natdowson 09-24-2014 02:42 AM

Hey mate good to hear from another kiwi im also looking at going for the street strip look with mine hoping to have it back on the road within a few weeks or hopefully before Christmas.

loopy 09-24-2014 02:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hey Nick howsit going

You guys got PICS??

Heres one of mine

Attachment 331838

Attachment 331839

natdowson 09-24-2014 03:07 AM

Hey mate nice car, I think I will need to add one of those to the wishlist! Also what are the mags on the Camaro? I like that blacked out look with those polished rims looks mean. Will get some pics of the firebird this weekend, finish too late in the afternoon to get pics.

loopy 09-24-2014 03:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Nat

They are Ridler 15"x8" with the centres painted black.

The previous owner fitted them . I wish they were wider!

Attachment 331837

natdowson 09-24-2014 03:47 AM

Cool man, can you still buy these mags? Im looking at eventually getting some American torque thrust D 15x8.5 want to go wider but I think it"ll rub under the wheel arch, at the moment I have 14x7 cragers on it but it definitely needs too be a bit wider, however I like those Ridler mags might be another option. Also are those spotlights on your Camaro original items or are they an aftermarket product?

loopy 09-24-2014 03:55 AM

The spots are aftermarket.

I think the PO got the wheels somewhere in Wellington then had them painted.

natdowson 09-24-2014 04:14 AM

Another question for ya mate how do you find the 305? I don't really know because my car had the 350 already fitted. Just wondered if they were quite grunty compared to a 350. What heads are you looking at putting on your crate motor?, 305 heads on a 350 give a lot more low down torque perfect for the drag strip but reduces your top end.

loopy 09-24-2014 01:41 PM

Hi Nat. I have brought a 350 L31 crate engine. 4 bolt main with vortec heads. I'm modifying it to get hopefully 350+ HP.

The 305 is OK but I have 3.73 rear gears which really helps I guess. You would probably consider it a slug after driving your 350. The stock 305 is only about 140 HP.

natdowson 09-25-2014 01:43 AM

Hi Geoff just thought I would add that the chev 400 crank can be machined to fit a 350 and also boosts up your horsepower. And I also see in your earlier posts that you have a bit of trouble finding a good parts supplier, I have just recently come across chucks restoration supplies based in Swanson Auckland. They are direct importers from the U.S I recently brought quite a few parts from classic industries through chucksnz.co.nz. Its so easy as you can purchase a parts catalogue through them (absolute bible!) an give them the part numbers and they order it for you, prices are not too bad and service is great. In my opinion it is cheaper and less hassle free, thought it may be another option for you in ordering parts for your car.
Cheers Nat.

loopy 09-25-2014 02:01 AM

Cheers mate. I have heard of chucks but never found them till now

natdowson 09-26-2014 05:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hey guys heres some pics of my 84 500le firebird.
Attachment 283145

Attachment 283146

Attachment 283147

loopy 09-26-2014 07:41 PM

Nice. I have always liked cragars

Are those exhaust manifolds the original 305 manifolds?

Is that your TA in the background too?

natdowson 09-26-2014 08:14 PM

Hiya nah the exhaust manifolds are 350, 305 an 350 manifolds are interchangeable. Soon I will be fitting flowtech blockhugger headers which I purchased from Sylvester v8 performance in Christchurch. The Pontiac in the background is dads its a 78 6.6ltr turbo 350 hes had it for about 16 years now just recently had rust work done on the bonnet so unfortunately we had to remove the iconic big bird decal off the hood.

loopy 11-01-2014 05:49 PM

Just did a trip up to Hamilton and back, approx. 1100 k's.

What an excellent car to travel in!

Just before I left I installed a new TCC lockup solenoid and N.O. 4th gear pressure switch with an adjustable 6-22" vacuum switch to control it. Works very well and contributed to the good fuel economy I think.

I managed about 12.5L/100KM on the fuel (just over 21MPG) which is pretty awesome on a well worn carb'd 305.

So, what you guys been doing to your cars??