Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Power Adders (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/power-adders/)
-   -   Question about adding a cam, headers, and intake (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/power-adders/781126-question-about-adding-cam.html)

Tatertot1992 05-16-2022 10:20 AM

Question about adding a cam, headers, and intake

Hi there recently I dropped a freshly rebuilt 1992 350 TBI with a roller cam into my car, I added an open element intake and headman headers and removed the cat. I was wondering roughly how much horsepower and torque id be pushing? A couple buddies have asked me and I don't even have a rough estimate. Any answers are much appreciated

ShiftyCapone 05-16-2022 10:28 AM

Re: Question about adding a cam, headers, and intake

What did you do ECM tuning wise? What the the specs of the cam? Without chip tuning, you're going to be leaving a ton of power off the table.

Tuned Performance 05-16-2022 10:29 AM

Dyno it, without any specs it’s hard to say if it’s 190hp or what.

Tatertot1992 05-16-2022 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by ShiftyCapone (Post 6466411)
What did you do ECM tuning wise? What the the specs of the cam? Without chip tuning, you're going to be leaving a ton of power off the table.

hey guys yeah I'm honestly not too sure the specs on the cam, and as far as I know there has been no tuning I just had the new 350 dropped in and the original TBI and everything hooked up to it. How would I go about getting it tuned so I can use the motor to its full potential?

dmccain 05-16-2022 02:34 PM

What heads?

Tatertot1992 05-16-2022 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by dmccain (Post 6466443)
What heads?

so I just talked to buddy who built and installed the motor for me and he said stock heads and nothing done to the ECM
Also the ECM in it now is from the old 5.0 the car had originally

Tuned Performance 05-16-2022 05:22 PM

Several ways to tackle the tuning. A wideband gauge is a good investment to see how it’s running.
or do a plug read. If lean might want to get larger injectors from a 350 truck. ANLU or ATJP prom chip if automatic. Or instead of doing chips and refining the tune dynamic efi has the ebl.

Tatertot1992 05-16-2022 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tuned Performance (Post 6466474)
Several ways to tackle the tuning. A wideband gauge is a good investment to see how it’s running.
or do a plug read. If lean might want to get larger injectors from a 350 truck. ANLU or ATJP prom chip if automatic. Or instead of doing chips and refining the tune dynamic efi has the ebl.

hey man I appreciate the response, and it's an auto so should I go ahead and grab one of those chips? Are they pretty much just plug and play? And where abouts would I find one and do you have any recommendations on which one to get?

Tuned Performance 05-16-2022 06:28 PM

eBay, junk yard get a burned copy. There plug and play was used on 89 caprice 350 tbi same ecm though.
hard to say how it’s running now but might be worth experimenting.