Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Problems / Help / Suggestions / Comments (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/problems-help-suggestions-comments/)
-   -   No problem, Comment (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/problems-help-suggestions-comments/382523-no-problem-comment.html)

Merlin 08-14-2006 04:40 PM

No problem, Comment

For the past several days, my firewall and security software has been waging a battle with Google and this site. A persistent attempt is made to load a cookie from www.google-analytics.com and it is being flagged as spyware by my firewall and security software. Any insight as to what's going on?

So far, my firewall is winning the battle, but as a result the pages NEVER stop loading. I can navigate, view and probably post as always, but the browser (Mozilla/Firefox) never stops loading the page since Google/AdWords can never successfully dump the spyware cookie on me - Even though it keeps trying until I manually stop the page loading. I've been to Google and understand what it's trying to accomplish, but I should have the option of refusing user tracking software on my machines.

Vader 08-14-2006 04:52 PM

Depending upon your Firefox version, you should be able to manually add the IP address of the site (www,google,com or whatever) to the list of refused cookie sites. That should stop the site from trying to load endlessly.

JT 08-14-2006 05:24 PM

I sent you a PM with some information.

Red Devil 08-14-2006 06:15 PM

Can someone fill the rest of us in on what's it's trying to do?

Merlin 08-15-2006 09:23 AM

This link:

Google Analytics - Features

...and its associated pages explain how Google tracks your web browsing habits and history with an "innocent" cookie. IE users probably aren't even aware of how their browsing is being monitored by Big Brother, err, Google. It's supposed to be a marketing tool to assist web site owners to determine the efectiveness of their site links and advertisements.

Red Devil 08-15-2006 10:13 PM

For us poor saps who use IE still here and there, how does one block said cookie without blocking the TGO cookie remembering our lazy butts so we don't have to repeatedly log in? :D

Kevin91Z 08-20-2006 03:57 PM

Tools, Internet Options, Privacy, Sites, and put www.google-analytics.com in the box and click block.

JT 08-20-2006 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin91Z (Post 3029604)
Tools, Internet Options, Privacy, Sites, and put www.google-analytics.com in the box and click block.

From my limited understanding on this, I do not believe that will work. The google analytics cookies are not 3rd party cookies.

The problem is that Google Analytics cookies are not third-party cookies, they are true first-party cookies. To opt-out using Firefox you need to block all cookies on all domains that are using Google Analytics. And that would also make some of the websites harder to use since many websites uses cookies to save your prefereces.

Red Devil 09-10-2006 10:53 PM

Some reading:

Search Engine Journal » Blocking Google Analytics Tracking
Editing Your Host File
Block Google Analytics cookies | Threadwatch.org
CustomizeGoogle: Block Google Analytics cookies