Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   South Central Region (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/south-central-region/)
-   -   What do you think of these wheels? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/south-central-region/430847-what-do-you-think.html)

esc 07-10-2007 08:01 AM

What do you think of these wheels?

I linked to these pictures in the "GTG this afternoon" thread, but here they are again.

Things I like:
Better fit than factory 16" wheels.
Made of steel so they won't fall apart at the Auto-x like so many other wheels have.
Bigger size (17" x 9") lets me use the tires I want (275-40-17 Kuhmo VictoRacer 700's) all the way around.
Good brake ventilation.
Dirt cheap.

The black wheels on a white car takes a little getting used to, but I sure like the way they drive.

But what do you think?

http://www.methware.com/camaro/newwheels1.jpg

http://www.methware.com/camaro/newwheels2.jpg

StevenK 07-10-2007 11:26 AM

Re: What do you think of these wheels?

Looks like a Nascar rim. I like em. However I do think the wheel/tire combo looks a little small for the wheel well.

ZONES89RS 07-10-2007 01:55 PM

It works, it looks like the old school hardcore IROCs that ran so long ago, i really like it, they serve their purpose too right?

esc 07-10-2007 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS (Post 3394067)
It works, it looks like the old school hardcore IROCs that ran so long ago, i really like it, they serve their purpose too right?

I'm VERY happy with how they work.
----------

Originally Posted by StevenK (Post 3393939)
Looks like a Nascar rim. I like em. However I do think the wheel/tire combo looks a little small for the wheel well.

Perhaps, especially in back...but they are the widest tires I have ever had on it and I like that all 4 are the same size.

Stephen 07-10-2007 10:58 PM

Are those steelies? Great for rockcrawling 4x4s, or roundy-round, NASCAR style, but for any autox, too heavy to allow the suspension to work right.

esc 07-11-2007 08:31 AM

A little heavy, but not as heavy as you might think. Only a couple of pounds heavier than the factory aluminum wheels. Also, my suspension is so stiff that it hardly moves anyway. Throw in that most auto-x tracks are pretty flat and I don't think that the weight will hurt at all.

So far it seems to handle WAY better thanks to the wider tires. I also no longer having to baby it to keep from warping/cracking the rims. Thats what happend to all of my previous aluminum wheels.

It seems that most aftermarket aluminum wheels are not up to throwing a heavy car aroung on race tires.

Stephen 07-13-2007 05:01 PM

Being 17"s, the stiffer sidewall will certainly help out, handling-wise.

How heavy are they, minus the tires? GTA crosslace wheels are only 18 lbs. Can't get much lighter than that, that I know of..

esc 07-13-2007 10:32 PM

They are about 30lbs. Definately not a "light" rim...but it's strength I', looking for.

Stephen 07-14-2007 12:47 AM

30lbs each! :eek: :eek: :eek: Basically, double the weight of crosslace wheels! And, the strength of 88-up crosslace wheels, isn't an issue, unlike the center centers of the 87 crosslace wheels. They are pretty easy to distinguish 87s for 88-ups.

esc 07-14-2007 09:27 AM

They are also too small. I can't fit enough tire on an 8" wide rim to make first gear even remotely usefull even from a roll (and I can do 65mph in first gear). The 17x9's are BARELY wide enough...I really need at least a 10" wide rim in back.

Although I like having the same wheel all the way around and the 275-40-17 Victoracors are sticky enough that I can use first gear...from a roll.

Stephen 07-14-2007 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by esc (Post 3398078)
They are also too small. I can't fit enough tire on an 8" wide rim to make first gear even remotely usefull even from a roll (and I can do 65mph in first gear). The 17x9's are BARELY wide enough...I really need at least a 10" wide rim in back.

Although I like having the same wheel all the way around and the 275-40-17 Victoracors are sticky enough that I can use first gear...from a roll.

I've run the 295/50/16s, on a stock 16x8 3rd gen wheel, with no problems. There is a SA guy running the same tires I did, right now, on his TA. So, you could get a 295 on your 9" wheels. You could even go 305.

ZONES89RS 07-15-2007 12:09 AM

My 295/50s rubbed, that sux, that was the 16s, my 15s do ok, but there is allot of side wall flex with them, not good for esc on a handling perspective. But in a straight line....AWSOME.

esc 07-16-2007 07:24 AM

I had 295-50-15's once upon a time. They were kind of floppy and rubbed going around corners. Tirerack only lists the BFG-TA in that(295-50-16) size. So that would be significant reduction in traction even compared to the 245-45-16's I WAS running.

As for bigger than a 275 on my 9" wheels...I am running the narrowest rim recommended for a 275. Anything bigger would require a wider rim in order to meet the manufacturers specifications. Plus the sidewall allready extends out past the rim, to get anything wider I would have to use a taller sidewall, inducing more slop and making the overall diameter more than I want.

I'm fairly certain that, for my purpose, I have the best tires that will fit on these rims. I am VERY happy with the results and can report a SIGNIFICANT increase in both straight line and cornering traction since the swap.

ZONES89RS 07-17-2007 12:00 AM

Say esc, just curious, what is your alighnment set at and by any chance does a stock panhard bar hold up for even one event for you? I know i bend them on the street playing around after a little time.

esc 07-17-2007 06:51 AM

The stock pan hard rod was the first thing I changed on my car, more than 20 years ago. It was inducing a latteral wheel hop when drifting around corners, so it had to go. :)

As for the alignment...I can't say for sure. So many htings have changed since I last had it set, but at the time it was all the caster and -camber it would take and still be the same on both sides. One of the things I have to be carefull about is going back and retightening everything after an alignment. Most shops will torque everyhing to spec...but that won't hold in my car.

miche25 03-03-2019 06:03 PM

Stephen,
I am looking for 2 summer tires 295 / 50r16 for my Camaro. Do you know where I can find these tires? Thank !!!

esc 03-03-2019 07:50 PM

Hi Miche25,

Wow, talk about back from the dead, almost 12 years since the last post in this thread.
As for finding specific tire sizes, I would probably just hit the big web sites like TireRack.com or Discount Tires (tires.com?).

Good luck.