Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   South West Region (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/south-west-region/)
-   -   What do I do with my car!?! (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/south-west-region/529296-what-do-i-do.html)

Cambridge205 06-07-2009 06:42 PM

What do I do with my car!?!

Hey I haven't been too active recently but I have a GTA that I have put a lot of work in to and still needs a lot of work. Anyways I ended up joining the Air Force, and they are sending me over seas to Germany! I wasn't expecting that at all. My wife and I are going for 3 years and I'm not taking the car, car parts are so expensive over their! I wanna keep the car but I don't know how to store it for such a long period of time.

So my question is how do I store the car for 3 years?

KnottyBuoyz 06-07-2009 06:45 PM

Re: What do I do with my car!?!

You might want to check around your base. Up here they have a volunteer association that looks after cars for those serving overseas. I think they run on pure donations to do it and use space available on the base, empty hangers etc.

birdtojag 06-07-2009 06:53 PM

Jason might be able to help you out. He should be home by Friday. I will see what he can offer.

Cambridge205 06-07-2009 08:12 PM

I'll have to call up the hobby shop tomorrow thanks for the idea! I'm not sure if the car runs its been a while sense I started it. Its currently stuck in the middle of an oil change with a stuck oil filter.

birdtojag 06-07-2009 10:28 PM

He said he could house it at his house. He's got some land around there so it won't be an eye sore. He lives in Whitman and has a trailer to haul it in. He also said he would keep it running for you (and fix the problems while you are gone) for about $10 a month and parts/fluids.

Cambridge205 06-13-2009 01:20 PM

It sounds like a good deal. Is he in town yet?

birdtojag 06-13-2009 06:59 PM

He just got back last night. PM him if you want. I told him about it and he said he would do it to help a fellow thirdgenner. His screen name is drknow90rs_ss@y. Not sure when he leaves again if he stays with this job, but go ahead and talk to him. His name is Jason. I will talk to him again later and tomorrow he is coming over to get some things from my garage.

Driver59 06-15-2009 04:26 PM

Hey man, the Air Force will store your car if you don't want to take it overseas. Go talk to your TMO office or better yet, ask your first sergeant what you can do as far as storing it. < I'm in the Air Force btw >

Cambridge205 06-15-2009 11:19 PM

My orders say I can ship a car over but says nothing about storing it. I have already talked to them about it and they're the ones that told me that :( Maybe the first sergeant could help out??

CharcoalBird 06-16-2009 03:17 PM

If you can leave it with a fellow thirdgenner, that would be better. My brother(also air force) left his car on base in storage where they will "take care" of the cars. Because it sat so long and was never started like they say they do, it had developed flat spots on the tires and had a hard time starting. Once started it smoked bad. Practically brand new car.