Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Suspension and Chassis (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/suspension-chassis/)
-   -   PBR Alum. Rear Calipers same on 89' and 93'-97' Camaros? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/suspension-chassis/241075-pbr-alum-rear-calipers.html)

89' RS/blue 05-16-2004 07:33 PM

PBR Alum. Rear Calipers same on 89' and 93'-97' Camaros?

Were the PBR aluminum rear calipers used on a 89' the same ones used on on 93-97 Camaros?

84 1LE 05-16-2004 09:35 PM

Basically yes.Both used same pad,emergency brk cable,flexible hose,Some 3rd gens had a weight on the caliper though.That ive never seen on the 93-97s.Besides that i believe 89-97 Rr PBRs brakes are the same even the rotors & backing plates(10 bolt).

ebmiller88 05-16-2004 10:11 PM

Yes...with the exception of that weight thingy and the minor difference in the e-brake bracket, they're the same.

Ed

slowTA 05-17-2004 08:10 AM

Not to make any trouble, but I went through this a few weeks ago and found that the rotors and other parts for third and fourth gens have different part numbers. I'm not sure just how different the these parts are from each other or if you can swap third and fourth gen stuff.

Marc 85Z28 05-17-2004 05:09 PM

I got my brake setup from a 94 Z28 and they have the weights.

EvilCartman 05-17-2004 09:18 PM

I think you have to use 3rdgen backing plates from what I've gathered reading here. The calipers themselves will bolt right up.

ebmiller88 05-18-2004 10:39 AM

You can also use 4th gen backing plates and they will work, too. The calipers are identical with the exception of the big weight and the e-brake bracket that holds it. Same thing...

Even though the part numbers are different, you can use 4th gen ('93-97) rear rotors too, they're the same thickness.

If you have relocation brackets and use 4th gen calipers, you will HAVE to remove the weight and cut the bolt that holds it off or it will interfere with your relo brackets.

Ed

Pat Hall 05-18-2004 06:16 PM

Originally posted by ebmiller88
Yes...with the exception of that weight thingy and the minor difference in the e-brake bracket, they're the same.

Ed

Hey Ed, that weight thingy has always bugged me. My disc rear is from a 91 GTA and it didn't have those on it when I bought it. My question is do the weights really serve any important purpose or are they unnecessary? I wonder if the guy who had the rearend before me might have removed them for some reason or maybe they didn't have them to begin with? The only thing I've seen listed as their function is that they're supposed to be a vibration dampener of some sort. Anybody know for sure what their purpose is?

84 1LE 05-18-2004 07:25 PM

Thats basically what they are.Because the aluminum calipers are lighter than the cast iron version.they tend to vibrate/groan when backing up slowly.According GM put those weights are there to minimize that.Mine seldom make a sound though.

89' RS/blue 05-18-2004 11:02 PM

oh just curious b/c i bought a 89' 1LE IROC rear end, and i saw the exact same calipers on a 96 SS at school so i was just wondering

Pat Hall 05-19-2004 01:24 PM

Originally posted by 84 1LE
Thats basically what they are.Because the aluminum calipers are lighter than the cast iron version.they tend to vibrate/groan when backing up slowly.According GM put those weights are there to minimize that.Mine seldom make a sound though.
I guess that answers my question 84 1LE. Mine makes that exact sound every once in a while when I'm backing out of the driveway slowly. At least now I know what's causing that strange noise.