Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Suspension and Chassis (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/suspension-chassis/)
-   -   Hotchkis springs-Rear is slightly lower than front. (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/suspension-chassis/246355-hotchkis-springs-rear-slightly.html)

GASGZLR 06-17-2004 01:55 PM

Hotchkis springs-Rear is slightly lower than front.

I just installed my set of Hotchkis springs two days ago. I have already had the car aligned since then. They handle way better than my old 215,000 mile springs. I did notice that the rear fender gap is slightly smaller than the front gap. It is probably not noticealbe to the average person. The car seems to sit level over all.

Has any one had this happen after a fresh install of springs?

Could the fact that I have a 5 speed and Fiberglass hood make the front sit higher due to less weight?

Will the front settle .5 inch?

RB83L69 06-17-2004 01:56 PM

Yes it will settle.

Give it about 2000 miles.

frogmanjohn 06-17-2004 01:59 PM

Hey bud, did you reuse your sping isolation dampeners on all 4 corners? if you did, you could always take the front spring isolators off, and tat would bring the front down 1/2". a little more vibes from the front. but your fender gaps would be closer.

john

GASGZLR 06-17-2004 02:21 PM

Yes I did, but my front isolators were thin rubber circles that were maybe 1/8-1/4 of an inch thin. THey were like thick inner tube rubber. THe rears had the stock, maybe 3/4 inch, isolators.

TPI-Formula350- 06-17-2004 06:40 PM

here a pic of the Hotchkis 1" drop springs installed on my car. think the stance looks correct. I also have a fiberglass hood so I don't think thats your problem.

Spdfrk1990 06-17-2004 07:31 PM

Hotchkis on mine were way lower in the front.

Justins86bird 06-17-2004 08:03 PM

My Hotchkis springs sit about .5" lower in the front.

Wishmaster's87IROC 06-17-2004 09:49 PM

did you index the front and rear springs in the correct position?

Both sets need to be in a specific place for them to sit right.

92 zzz28 06-17-2004 10:16 PM

Don't feel bad, I just installed Eibachs in my maro. The front sits a tad higher now than with the worn out stockers up front. The rear looks good though. It will settle. I had put Hotchkis springs in my old Monte a few years ago. Man did that set the car off. Big old thing actually stayed flat in corners, looked and rode pretty good too...They'll settle in...

GASGZLR 06-18-2004 08:41 AM

I am sure that I indexed my fronts properly. I put the pigtail of the coil between the two holes in the lower control arm. I pulled the rear springs yesterday and put them side by side with the stockers. The Hotchkis springs were almost 2 inches shorter. I put all my weight on them and bounced on em and the stockers were WAY stiffer than the hotchkis. I ended up putting the stockers back on and it sits perfect for now. The rear is about 3/4 of an inch higher than the front, instead of being 3/4 of an inch lower. If the fronts settle more like you guys say, then I may go back to the Hotchkis rears to balance it out. For now the stock rears stay.