Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Suspension and Chassis (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/suspension-chassis/)
-   -   Bump Steer Kit (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/suspension-chassis/316207-bump-steer-kit.html)

Holio 08-19-2005 07:53 PM

Bump Steer Kit

Does anyone know who else makes a kit for our cars other than Baer? I'd like to get the Baer kit but no one has it in stock, and can't get an answer out of Baer about availability.

SDIF 08-19-2005 09:51 PM

try this... It may work it is a bump steer item for circle track cars

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/xq/asp...splayGroup.htm

Holio 08-20-2005 06:38 AM

Thanks SDIF, nice site, didn't know about them. Looks like you can build your own stuff and do it cheaper and better than Baer.

SDIF 08-20-2005 09:05 PM

they are good for springs and weight jacks too.

very good prices and service

ABJ88 05-19-2006 05:05 AM

Sorry I know this is an old post but I'm curious if anyone purchased the parts for the bump steer kit from speedwaymotors.com. I noticed you need to piece it out. Im interested in knowing what I need, they have different lengths and parts. Is it okay to use for daily driven car? I noticed circle track was thrown in there. Thanks!

2tone 05-19-2006 10:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Bumpsteer kits are needed even for daily drivers as a critical steering correction device for a lowered car. The kit will allow you to correct the articulation swing of the tierod. You can see in my diagram below how the tierod geometry shortens and lengthens in lateral length as the suspension travels. You want the complete suspension travel arch to be close to centered on #2 with #1 a starting stagnant ride heilght and #3 a max suspension travel.

When a car is at stock height, the tierod arm will be at approx #1 position with a #3 max travel. When you lower a car, the standard position becomes more around #2 with a max travel and shortening of #4(not pictured, but you get the idea) and this will causeradiacl toein of that wheel underheavy suspension travel thus cause unwanted steer of that wheel when incurring a bump.

ross 05-19-2006 05:12 PM

Try Ed Quay he say thay are only for off road use.

83 Crossfire TA 05-25-2006 01:01 AM

Have you guys ever tried to measure your bump steer on a 3rd gen? GM did a very good job with them from the factory, especially compared to competing cars. You can usually lower them 2” without even needing to change toe settings because there is almost no bump steer across the whole useful range of the front suspension (assuming everything is right to start with), where if you look at something like some of the mustangs and other fox chassied cars you’ll find that lowering them about the same amount changes toe about 3/16-1/4”

Shagwell 05-25-2006 11:19 AM

:yup:
My sport lines changed my toe less than .1 - The Hunter 900 at the TK I used-to work at showed my settings to still be within factory specs.

ahhhFlubbernuts 05-27-2006 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by 83 Crossfire TA
Have you guys ever tried to measure your bump steer on a 3rd gen? GM did a very good job with them from the factory, especially compared to competing cars. You can usually lower them 2” without even needing to change toe settings because there is almost no bump steer across the whole useful range of the front suspension (assuming everything is right to start with), where if you look at something like some of the mustangs and other fox chassied cars you’ll find that lowering them about the same amount changes toe about 3/16-1/4”

I'm lowered about 2 1/2" I would guess (24.75" at fender lip off the ground) and I can assure you my atriculation range shortened over 1/8" each side with factory tierods through the suspension travel.

83 Crossfire TA 05-27-2006 03:15 AM

Dean, I would suspect that there was something tweaked on your car or maybe your idler was mounted a little off. My ’83 sat right at 25” with 26.2” tall front tires and I didn’t have to change toe settings when I lowered it, and FWIW, the early 80’s cars started out sitting MUCH higher then the later 3rd gens, so if anyone should have seen a big change it would have been that car.

I’ve had exactly the same experience with my other 3rd gens, but none of them have been lowered as much as the ’83.

ahhhFlubbernuts 05-27-2006 03:23 AM

Car is an '87. I have owned it since '92. Wifes uncle was first owner and it has nevr been in an accident nor has ever even hit a curb or anything of the such. I would not even bother screwing with a car if it had ever been tweaked previously. It had bumpsteer and needed correction from the lowering. This car tracks flawless now, but was a noticiable problem before I corrected the geometry.