Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Suspension and Chassis (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/suspension-chassis/)
-   -   Torque Arm - Spohn vs UMI vs BMR (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/suspension-chassis/556283-torque-arm-spohn-vs.html)

knapper79 01-17-2010 07:26 PM

Torque Arm - Spohn vs UMI vs BMR

Here is my question upfront. What are the advantages of the different manufactures of relocated torque arms? I am wanting strictly a bolt in style, no welding install.
I know BMR's is full length and mimics the exact geometry of the stock one. The Spohn one is shorter but appears to mimick stock geometry as well (radial and longitudinal movement). The UMI is also shorter but appears to not mimick the radial movement of the factory torque arm.
So my question is, what are the advantages/disadvantages of the different styles. I can see right up front there is a significant price difference. With BMR, the cross member and torque will run around $520 for an adjustable torque arm. In addition to that price, i have to buy a new clamshell mount (which I haven't really priced but i am sure its a little bit). Spohn and UMI will cost about $400 for an adjustable torque arm and crossmember.
I tried running a search and thought I found a couple threads that addressed this. In the end, I read through 20 different threads and did not find the answer. On top of that, one thread was nothing more than a member flaming UMI.
Although money is not a huge issue, I don't want to waste it either.
This is my first 3 link/torque arm car, so trying to get up to speed.
As far as application - 475HP motor, 700R4, 3.73 posi rear, street toy, maybe track once a year (got out of that after last car).

Thank you for any input you have.

UMI Sales 01-18-2010 12:22 PM

Re: Torque Arm - Spohn vs UMI vs BMR

Hello
I noticed that you are looking to upgrade your torque arm. And I just figured I would throw this out there for you that we do offer a few different styles. We offer a tunnel mounted version that mounted were your trans cross member mounts but it has a poly bushing the allows you to mount the arm in the tunnel area. And we also offer a full length arm as well. But with that amount of HP I would suggest getting the arm off of the rear of the trans either with a cross member relocation or a tunnel mounted. Below is a link to show you what all we have to offer.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...dex&cPath=6_93

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...ex&cPath=6_178

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad :D

twigger 01-19-2010 02:21 AM

I cant really answer your question, but I installed the UMI cross member mounted unit and I was very pleased with how easy it was to set up and adjust. Definantly a noticeable increase in performance.

Kat 01-20-2010 03:59 AM

The Spohn 3rd gen torque arm is about the same length as stock. You were prolly looking at the 4th gen one. They are shorter.

This is what you want.

As for differances between the three. BMR IIRC you'll have to weld in a seperate crossmember for theirs to work. Unless you order the trans mounted one. Which Spohn also has. Usually the advantages of that are no ground clearace loss and a tad quiter than a x-member mounted one.

X memeber mounted torque arm such as the Spohn x-member mounted one I mentioned above, will give you a more direct feel of what your car is doing. It takes out some the play of the engine/trans mounts and will allow the TA to do its job. Planting the rear on acell and decell. Now that the the flex is gone from the stock one.

Me I've been running a Spohn rod ended one for 6 years nows and couldn't be happier. That was with a T56 and now a 700 R4 on it. I've prolly pput 60k on it by now and many track passes. So far so good and Im sure it will keep on taking the abuse..

BMR Sales 01-22-2010 09:58 AM

Hello, our full length torque arm does mimick the factory geometry. You have two options with that arm. You can mount it back onto the transmission or attach it to our torque arm relocation crossmember. The benefit of doing that is you have additional adjustment holes on the crossmember to raise or lower the front of the torque arm. This allows you to adjust the way your suspension plants the tires. This set up is great for a daily driver, street/strip car or a corner carver. We also offer two different shorter torque arms. Our Trak pac, and Xtreme torque arms attach to a crossbar that welds in between your frame connectors. These torque arms hit the tires harder and are designed more for drag racing but can also be used on a street/strip car. If you have any questions please let me know.

The Project 01-25-2010 07:06 AM

Since your pushing almost 500hp, I wouldn't mount the arm to the tranny.

I like the UMI 2216 (if you swap in the 700R4) because it's adjustable and doesn't mount to the tranny and so wont do any damage to the trans housing.

I have a few UMI pieces on my car and find them to be great quality.

UMI Sales 01-25-2010 10:13 AM

Hello
Thanks for suggesting UMI Performance. Great to hear you are satisfied with the quality of the products. Like mentioned above anytime you get close to 450Hp I would highly suggest going with a relocation cross member. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad :)

The Project 01-25-2010 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by UMI Sales (Post 4412533)
Hello
Thanks for suggesting UMI Performance. Great to hear you are satisfied with the quality of the products. Like mentioned above anytime you get close to 450Hp I would highly suggest going with a relocation cross member. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad :)

Cool.....maybe UMI could get a Canadian distributor...say somewhere near Toronto.

There are a lot of guys here that like to go fast and have our cars handle.

Just a thought.

UMI Sales 01-25-2010 01:16 PM

Hello
We actually do have some vendors in Canada but unfortunately they do not stock any of our products. And they just have the parts drop shipped from us.
Sorry for any inconvenience.
Thanks

Deweywolf 01-31-2010 05:25 AM

Ok so maby somone besids the companys that sell the product would post? I have a concurrent question. I made some passes with my Camaro and couldn't hook up. I was told that a toque arm would help alot. I have been looking at the Spohn Crosmember mounted arm, but a friend of mine (who doesn't specifically do Camaros) said that half the problem with the Fbody is the length of the torque arm. So Jegs sells a short torque arm and I was wondering has anyone ran one and how do they like it? I saw it mentioned on another forum that the short arm caused alot of wheel chatter. Is an ajustable stock length better? It actually costs less for the short one.

-Rob

ziggy89 02-02-2010 12:48 PM

id recomen the umi or spohn cross member torque arms. go in easy and and adjust the same.

and rember you can get umi at summit now

Deweywolf 02-02-2010 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by ziggy89 (Post 4422060)
id recomen the umi or spohn cross member torque arms. go in easy and and adjust the same.

and rember you can get umi at summit now

Do short ones take away drivability?
Acording to Jegs advertisement they squat 50% harder on launch...?

ziggy89 02-02-2010 05:57 PM

the shorter ones to my understanding are supposed to plant the tires harder or sumthing to that nature. the longer ones the chassis absorbs more of the shock.

here is my experience 13.0 at 104 on stock sized street tires with stock shocks and a dead hook. thats y i allways recomend spohn cause i know it works and the umi piece looks just like it

anthony714 02-02-2010 06:17 PM

you cant go wrong with either one of them. pros and cons to all.i will say it sounds like you have a mostly street car and dont intent to abuse it or do gorilla launches. while your power is much higher than stock the spohn type might be a consideration for you although going back to orginal point is you dont sound like an abuser. i will say i have a spohn,i like except for one thing. the front eye,spherical joint is noisy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yes it clunks and bangs around and transits vibrations way more than stock so if you dont want that and just want a quieter stock type of ride go with clam shell

Deweywolf 02-02-2010 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by anthony714 (Post 4422413)
you cant go wrong with either one of them. pros and cons to all.i will say it sounds like you have a mostly street car and dont intent to abuse it or do gorilla launches. while your power is much higher than stock the spohn type might be a consideration for you although going back to orginal point is you dont sound like an abuser. i will say i have a spohn,i like except for one thing. the front eye,spherical joint is noisy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yes it clunks and bangs around and transits vibrations way more than stock so if you dont want that and just want a quieter stock type of ride go with clam shell

Do you have the Spherical rod end or the del-sphere? Acording to spohn the del-sphere eliminates the noise.

anthony714 02-02-2010 08:29 PM

i have the spherical end and its loud... clank clank clank.....

ziggy89 02-02-2010 10:05 PM

ive got a polly bushing on my spohn arm and i guess you could say it makes a lot of noise. i just figured a lot of it was my trans shift likes a beast and idle and tightens up the slack in the locker for a jolt

UMI Sales 02-03-2010 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by anthony714 (Post 4422582)
i have the spherical end and its loud... clank clank clank.....

Hello
With our adjustable torque arms they feature poly bushings on the cross member. And the only rod ends that are on the arm are were they mount to the bracket. The reason why you are hearing the clank clank is because that is the weight transferring.
Thanks Again

camaro379 02-03-2010 08:11 PM

most important thing to do is get away from the trany mounted arm. rod end bars are more for pure performance and are noisy , thats the price you pay for the best performance. the arms with poly bushings are suited better for a street car , quiet but with a slight amount of give. sounds like for your interest you probably will want the polly bushing instead of the rod end style. main thing is to get away from the trans mounted arm. all the above venders have good torque arms to offer

jjwahl928 07-26-2017 07:34 PM

Hello, i have a 86 camaro and ever since i got the bmr crossmember for the th350 and the stock torque arm i have been cracking tranny cases. i have cracked 3 transmissions in less than a month. SOMEONE HELP.

Jorlain 07-26-2017 10:44 PM

Get a torque arm relocation bracket. The stock torque arm deflects and flexes, alleviating some of the direct force on the tail housing. The aftermarket pieces do not.

UMI Sales 07-27-2017 07:24 AM

As mentioned above you need to get the torque arm off the tail shaft.

Most guys go with the relocation cross member and either the factory torque arm or an aftermarket either one will work. if you use the factory TA you will need to purchase a bushing to adapt it to the cross member.

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...ex&cPath=6_178

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...roducts_id=752

Craig

jjwahl928 07-27-2017 04:54 PM

the BMR crossmember is a torque arm relocation style. the torque arm is not bolted to the tail shaft. i used the bushing that came with the kit and it fits my stock torque arm.

//<86TA>\\ 07-27-2017 07:21 PM

OK then, what other setups are you using? Engine mounts, Trans bushing mount ect. Something is binding if your breaker transfer cases.

StunMan 07-28-2017 12:39 PM

I see references to drag launch feel and times but what set-up for a autox/ track car would be recommended? Like the UMI relocation bracket with the built in driveshaft loop

Gbodytom 01-06-2019 07:14 AM

I just installed the bmr relocation member. Poor design. The brace welded to adjustment plate is in the way and restricts locations. Can't even use half the adjustment.

battmann 01-06-2019 07:55 AM

I have a BMR track pak torque arm setup on a Moser 9” and I don’t see how my driveshaft is going to fit in the tunnel. I still
need to have a driveshaft made to figure out if I can rework something to make everything fit. The torque arm also rubs on the emergency brake cable bracket in the tunnel when you put the car on a lift and the suspension hangs.