Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Suspension and Chassis (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/suspension-chassis/)
-   -   found it! (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/suspension-chassis/627616-found.html)

jjlabinski 09-12-2011 05:46 PM

found it!

Some of you here have reported a metal on metal sound when your car hits bumps just after a front end upgrade.

I too have had this experience so today I tore the front end down to find the culprit.

If you have used the Spohn upper strut mount # 951 and cant figure out the clunking noise it is caused by excessive clearance between the bearing and the retaining snap ring.

it needs .008 brass shim to fix.

Jeff

//<86TA>\\ 09-12-2011 06:23 PM

Re: found it!

that bearing should be a press fit, the snap ring i not supposed to be holding the bearing in. If it is, its defective and should be replaced, either the bearing was undersized, or the strut plate was machined too large

RBob 09-12-2011 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by jjlabinski (Post 5037670)
Some of you here have reported a metal on metal sound when your car hits bumps just after a front end upgrade.

I too have had this experience so today I tore the front end down to find the culprit.

If you have used the Spohn upper strut mount # 953 and cant figure out the clunking noise it is caused by excessive clearance between the bearing and the retaining snap ring.

Jeff

Yep, too much clearance between the bearing and snap ring & lower housing. The bearing slides up & down within the housing causing a knocking sound when going over bumps.

I fixed the drivers side with a shim of between 18 and 20-thou (this is from memory).

The passenger side still needs to be done.

I also had to section the drivers side mount. This was so it cleared the stock master cylinder & booster. It actually hit it when still at positive camber.

RBob.

jjlabinski 09-12-2011 07:22 PM

I couldn't tell you the thousands of dollars of brand new parts sitting on the shelves of my shop that have failed upon initial use or shortly thereafter due to poor design\engineering.

This is just another. March Performance still has everyone beat!

1roc89z28 09-13-2011 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by jjlabinski (Post 5037670)

If you have used the Spohn upper strut mount # 951 and cant figure out the clunking noise it is caused by excessive clearance between the bearing and the retaining snap ring.

Jeff

i have this problem right now.. just replaced centerlink and front struts. but is this only whit Spohn? becouse i bought cheap autozone (gabriel ultra struts)

jjlabinski 09-14-2011 02:42 PM

it is not the struts it is the upper strut bearing retainer that is questionable.

Pablo 01-22-2012 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by RBob (Post 5037736)
Yep, too much clearance between the bearing and snap ring & lower housing. The bearing slides up & down within the housing causing a knocking sound when going over bumps.

I fixed the drivers side with a shim of between 18 and 20-thou (this is from memory).

The passenger side still needs to be done.

I also had to section the drivers side mount. This was so it cleared the stock master cylinder & booster. It actually hit it when still at positive camber.

RBob.

Bringing this back from the dead, I am having the same problem and it's getting bad.

Bob, do you remember the diameter of the shims you used?

RBob 01-22-2012 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 5157711)
Bringing this back from the dead, I am having the same problem and it's getting bad.

Bob, do you remember the diameter of the shims you used?

No I don't. It was a custom job with the shim being machined from bar stock.

RBob.

Pablo 01-22-2012 12:38 PM

Well I managed to find something to measure them with (I have none of my tools at the moment) looks like they are 1 3/8 O.D. and the I.D. looks like its gonna have to be 1 1/8.

Unfortunately I cant seem to find anyone that carries shims in these sizes. McMaster-Carr's 1 3/8 od shims are all 7/8 i.d. which is too small.

I guess I'll have to keep looking.

By the way, have the shims been a permanent fix for your problem? I am concerned that it is just going to keep opening up the snap ring groove. Seems like a poor design imo.

blacksunshine'91 06-09-2013 11:55 PM

Back from the dead. Pablo or jjlabinski, has the shim fixed the problem. If so, where did you get them from?