Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Suspension and Chassis (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/suspension-chassis/)
-   -   What brand coil spring compressor tool are you using? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/suspension-chassis/705191-what-brand-coil-spring.html)

FueledSoul 07-13-2014 05:27 PM

What brand coil spring compressor tool are you using?

For what ever reason I seem to have lost mine during a recent move and can't remember what brand or model I bought how many years ago, however I do recall there being a difference with the hooks with some models and as memory serves me the hooks can't all be the same length. I also recall using a pipe to take out slack in the threads... Anyway just going to buy a new one but just want to see what ones people are using with success!

InfernalVortex 07-13-2014 06:21 PM

Re: What brand coil spring compressor tool are you using?

1 Attachment(s)
Use a crowbar and a jack under the a-arm.

Attachment 333946

Way easier and safer than a spring compressor. Just takes a little bit of coordination.

Ive never been able to get a spring into these cars successfully with a spring compressor, which is even more frustrating because i was terrified of handling a compressed spring with my hands. That's a lot of loaded up kinetic energy waiting to slip out.

Kennerz 07-13-2014 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by InfernalVortex (Post 5791694)

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...lingSpring.gif

Way easier and safer than a spring compressor. Just takes a little bit of coordination.

Ive never been able to get a spring into these cars successfully with a spring compressor, which is even more frustrating because i was terrified of handling a compressed spring with my hands. That's a lot of loaded up kinetic energy waiting to slip out.

Cute. I performed my pro-kit the above the same way(sorry maybe it was when I replaced the a-arm bushings and wedged a factory iroc spring - the pro-kit fell in i think) & I thought it was sketchy at best. I want to use the proper tool the next time(soon) and am looking for the same answer. has to be a "best" way that is not entirely "backyard"

Mirror Image 07-13-2014 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by InfernalVortex (Post 5791694)

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...lingSpring.gif

I also agree it takes half the time and those things are a pain in the asss to use

InfernalVortex 07-14-2014 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Kennerz (Post 5791700)
Cute. I performed my pro-kit the above the same way(sorry maybe it was when I replaced the a-arm bushings and wedged a factory iroc spring - the pro-kit fell in i think) & I thought it was sketchy at best. I want to use the proper tool the next time(soon) and am looking for the same answer. has to be a "best" way that is not entirely "backyard"

The "proper tool" doesnt work well with these cars due to the geometry of the spring and the spring pocket. With the crowbar method you dont have any limbs directly in the line of fire of a highly loaded pair of claws that may or may not slip out of place as you're handling them and trying to place them inside a small slot in the k-member. Using them in a way that allows you to 1. get the spring in at all AND 2. get the compressor OUT requires you to heavily compress one, maybe two coils at most. There's just no room otherwise. Just getting to it to loosen it once it's in is a huge sketchy proposition. Ive played with a few of them. One didnt fit at all, the other one sorta fit but wouldn't fit properly.

The crowbar method keeps your appendages away from springs, and you dont need to compress it nearly as much to fit it into the spring pocket as you do a spring compressor since you can compress directly on the ends of the spring instead of having to massively compress one or two coils in the center. Im not sure exactly how the math works out on that, but each individual coil will have a lot less pressure on it this way, and if it slips out it will be completely harmless. It will expand if it slips but it wont do so violently or against you. When you use a compressor you have to physically handle the compressor and the spring with your hands. I'd much rather move it with my foot (Wear boots if you're nervous, but I dont even care about that anymore) against a bar that I'm controlling than to manually manipulate a highly compressed spring and barely gripping compressor tool with my hands and fingers.

Trust me it took me a good 15 minutes to get the hang of it but I've done it this way 4 times now and it's a piece of cake these days.

Note: I spent hours trying to make spring compressors work and I saw them slip off and scare me enough times plus that I was desperate to find some other way to get them in the car. I was terrified of the "proper tool" type compressors. The crowbar method was my last resort and I wish I had done that from the start.

One other way you can try if the crowbar makes you nervous (it shouldn't) is you can attach the spindle to the control arm and remove the control arm bolts and put the spring in from the engine side. Use a pair of jacks to get the control arm back into place. Even this made me really nervous, but it's another method you can try. I think this was the method in the service manual I had but be careful because if the control arm isnt lined up perfectly it will begin lifting the car. You dont want the car coming off the jackstands.

Or you can get weight jacks. ;)

t-top89 07-14-2014 10:21 PM

A compressed spring is stored potential energy..... ( as I push my taped glasses up with my finger).
Non the less, it is a painful getting whipped by a spring even taking them out with a crow bar and jack.

InfernalVortex 07-14-2014 10:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by t-top89 (Post 5792317)
A compressed spring is stored potential energy..... ( as I push my taped glasses up with my finger).
Non the less, it is a painful getting whipped by a spring even taking them out with a crow bar and jack.

I dont really understand how a spring compressed by a crowbar and pushed by feet can whip around and hit you at all. It took me quite a while to get the hang of it and that thing bounced all over the place. But it always bounced AWAY from me. The only time it came towards me was after it had already expended it's energy and was just tumbling down the A-arm and at that point it's not going to hurt anymore than dropping it on your foot will. Wearing boots will make sure nothing happens, but I've done it with sneakers with no problem and I'm not afraid to do it with sneakers either. I'd be willing to do it with flip flops at this point. ;)

Nonetheless, i suggest you go rent one of the tools. The dual-claw kind are the ones that are "supposed to work" on these cars but I was terrified of it. Im sure someone has figured it out, but I definitely couldnt and I felt it was much more dangerous. Once you get to cranking down on it you'll see where the claws want to start slipping off the coils... Just gotta hope they dont while you're trying to put it in the car. After you fight with it for a while you'll be back to the crowbar.

Attachment 333904

dmwracing42 07-17-2014 04:11 PM

I just chained my spring to the control arm. The springs were old, so obviously had some sag, but I was able to get them to pop out by pushing the A-arm all the way down (with a crow bar). They fell out and I was able to unchain them from there.

FueledSoul 07-17-2014 05:41 PM

I hope the mods delete this thread. I never asked for input I asked about the brand and model spring compressor pepole where using, not chains and crow bars. It's a simple question. I've always took coils out using a coil spring tool never had a problem. Might as well just jack the car up, put jacks under the fender pinches , leave the suspension unloaded and unbolt the top two strut mounts that should be the fastest way . . . Rolleyes

InfernalVortex 07-19-2014 10:02 PM

I actually have experience using spring compressors and removing/installing springs in these cars with various different methods. I've even done it the way where you only unbolt the A-arms at the k-member and use jacks to compress the springs in, which is actually the method described in my service manual. You asked what people used with success. I've tried multiple spring compressors and methods and I always come back to the crowbar method because I feel it's far safer, easier and faster. You can have fun getting your fingers nearly chopped off playing with the other kind.

sleepsinshed 07-21-2014 01:55 PM

I used this one.

IROCtheThird 07-21-2014 08:27 PM

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/otc-7045b

That is the only one I could get to work with out interference issues. It holds the spring better than any of the others but I noticed after I was done the little pin at the top started to bend. This was with 12" 900lb springs.

Stewie 07-22-2014 10:30 PM

FueledSoul - I don't know if this meets your needs, but here is a link from 2012 that suggests an O'Reilly's compressor & a short length of pipe.
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/susp...y-install.html

This link discusses the virtues of 2 hook vs. 4 hook compressors & how to make each work with our cars:
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/susp...y-install.html

Here is a Jegs with 2 hooks that several senior members thought would work on one discussion thread, with the short pipe added:
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/W89311/10002/-1

Here's the discuss thread concerning the Jegs spring compressor:
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/susp...ompressor.html

My opinion, if you want to own a spring compressor, rather than borrow or rent one from Auto Zone, etc., get a $45 2 hook spring compressor from Jegs and a short piece of pipe.

I'd be interested in what brand & style compressor you decide works best for you.

Kennerz 07-23-2014 12:14 AM

Stewie - great response - exactly what I was looking for, should be a stickie if it isn't already. should be way better than the crowbar method. I'm all for tricks and shortcuts, but I want to know the most correct way first. I don't like to take too many shortcuts on my car & try not to cut corners. The mechanics/builders I've been arround that build the nicest stuff have shown me it's best to do it right - once. & only take a shortcut if it doesn't mess up , or jerry rig something else..

Stewie 07-24-2014 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Kennerz (Post 5795980)
Stewie - great response - exactly what I was looking for, should be a stickie if it isn't already. should be way better than the crowbar method. I'm all for tricks and shortcuts, but I want to know the most correct way first. I don't like to take too many shortcuts on my car & try not to cut corners. The mechanics/builders I've been arround that build the nicest stuff have shown me it's best to do it right - once. & only take a shortcut if it doesn't mess up , or jerry rig something else..

I agree. The crowbar and feet method may very well be a safe land easy method. But, I'd be too cautious to try it until I see someone else do it. Too many mechanics have been hurt taking shortcuts doing spring replacements. There are quit a few war stories on this forum about springs flying out.

luvofjah 07-27-2014 06:44 PM

I used one like the one pictured by infernal vortex, but I cut the main threaded shaft so it's not as long. It works great.

RAD5 08-09-2014 08:29 PM

Hands down the best and safest tool on the market!

http://www.otctools.com/products/fro...ing-compressor

Amazon has the best price.